Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Disc brake questions  (Read 1871 times)

Offline tangodown

• Huffy Rider
Disc brake questions
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:06:29 AM »
I need some advise on brakes please. I have a Cannondale that will accept disc brakes, my levers are Shimano Deore XT, and I have a spare set of wheels that are disc brake ready.  Can I just add a set of Avid BB5 or BB7 calipers and rotors, or is there much more involved???  I see these sets advertised fairly cheap, and im sure they must be better than the std rim brakes I have now.  And if it will work, am I better off with the 160mm or 180mm rotors, or the BB5 or BB7 model??  I know nothing about disc brakes other than they feel better on my buddys bikes than my rim brakes.  It would be much cheaper to add brakes than replace my bike imo.  Any advise would be great.  Thanks
I have the key to the city.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Disc brake questions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:03:07 AM »
I need some advise on brakes please. I have a Cannondale that will accept disc brakes, my levers are Shimano Deore XT, and I have a spare set of wheels that are disc brake ready.  Can I just add a set of Avid BB5 or BB7 calipers and rotors, or is there much more involved???  I see these sets advertised fairly cheap, and im sure they must be better than the std rim brakes I have now.  And if it will work, am I better off with the 160mm or 180mm rotors, or the BB5 or BB7 model??  I know nothing about disc brakes other than they feel better on my buddys bikes than my rim brakes.  It would be much cheaper to add brakes than replace my bike imo.  Any advise would be great.  Thanks

You would need to check the compatibility issue with Shimano, or your local bike shop's mechanic, but the mechanicals may be able to use the same levers.  Remember though that disc brakes add about 3/4 to 1 pound of weight to each wheel. 2 pounds overall to the bike.  A good set of V-brakes work well at less weight.  Mine work very well.  There is a different feel to disc than rim brakes. Rim brake pads wear out faster than disc pads. Sometimes there is a setup and break in period for disc brakes.  You have to be especially careful not to get chain lube or fingerprints on the rotors of disc brakes.  If your rim brakes just suck, you might think about upgrading them to a better set instead of going to the expense of adding disc brakes.  It's nice to have a frame and wheelset so that you have options.

Offline Jan R

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:49:31 PM »
tango u can use either the bb5 or bb7 with the shimano levers no problems there and they will work great. personally i like the bb7 for better adjustability with both inner and outer pads to elimanate brake rub and to dial in the feel that you like on the brakes. both are a very good choice though. you have the levers and the wheels just buy the pair of front and rear calipers and they come with rotors, go with the 160 mm unless you are running downhill runs. the 160s are great and break in time for the pads to the rotors is really just one good ride of a couple of hours. in my opinion they work better and or as good as most hydrolics and I have tried a handfull out. you should be able to complete the change over for about a $100 and its money well spent. hope this helps you on your decision. Jan R

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »
[shameless plug] And if you ever wanted to go hydraulic I have a nice set of juicy 7's in the for sale section.  Make an offer [/shameless plug]
http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,860.0.html
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:37:09 PM »
Doing the same thing to mine.  I went with the BB7's, they were only an extra $10 per caliper, and the extra adjustability will be much appreciated.  It only took riding with wet rims once to convince me to go disc.  I will be curious to see how they compare to my Hayes on my FS 26er.  Good luck.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline tangodown

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I have decided to try the BB7's.  I rode with wet brakes not long ago and decided to upgrade after that.  Deep water + rim brakes = no brakes....      Thanks again.
I have the key to the city.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »
Exactly!  I will be installing mine Tuesday, according to "Brown"...UPS.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Advertisement: