Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Frozen link  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Frozen link
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:02:29 PM »
My wife rides a nice FS Specialized. I keep the chain clean and lubed. Today her chain was bouncing around a bit at Boyette. It was a frozen chain link. When I say frozen, I mean it would barely budge. I degreased the chain at home with some stuff from my LBS and then lubed it. No go. It was only marginally better. The link doesn't look damaged. The chain is six months old and has had medium use.

What should I try next? Time for a new chain?

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Frozen link
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:11:13 PM »
Grab the link that is frozen and try to work it through its range of motion with your hands to see if it will loosen up.  Past that, you can just remove the stubborn link and reconnect the chain - losing a couple of links shouldn't be an issue and its cheaper than buying a whole new chain.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:39:06 AM »
My wife rides a nice FS Specialized. I keep the chain clean and lubed. Today her chain was bouncing around a bit at Boyette. It was a frozen chain link. When I say frozen, I mean it would barely budge. I degreased the chain at home with some stuff from my LBS and then lubed it. No go. It was only marginally better. The link doesn't look damaged. The chain is six months old and has had medium use.

What should I try next? Time for a new chain?

I torqued a new chain I had only been riding a couple of months - not everyday of course - and a couple of the links got twisted.  Since some of the trails we ride around here cause us to rely fairly heavily on our drive train a compromised chain is a weak chain.  It happens.  I replaced the chain because I felt it would probably break somewhere else if I just replaced a couple of links that were torqued.  The legs are the most powerful muscle in the body.  I know - some folks in the medical field have argued the tounge is, but no one ever pedaled a bike with their tounge.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:38:43 AM »
The legs are the most powerful muscle in the body.  I know - some folks in the medical field have argued the tounge is, but no one ever pedaled a bike with their tounge.

LMAO....   ;D ;D ;D  I don't think I want to use my tounge that way.  But it is the stronguest muscle relative to size.  Read that fact here and a bunch of others on this link:  http://www.faizani.com/news/news_2003/human_body_facts.html

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »
One link may not effect it too bad but shortening the chain will move the upper derallieur (spelling?) wheel up towards the cassette causing problems. In the large cog the upper wheel should just rest just below the cog. The screw below the hanger just inside the mount will adjust that. Garry would know the correct setting distance between the cog and wheel. I beleive a 1/4"-1/2", but I could be wrong.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
it might be an over tight link.  grab a chain tool that has the capacity to loosen a tight ling like the wrench force or park tool.
Gears??? We don't need no STINKING GEARS!!!

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 12:16:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement: