SWAMP Community Forums
April 06, 2008, 07:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remember to login to view all of the boards and topics available to you.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moonscape side trail?  (Read 313 times)
hairball
SWAMPer
First Bike

« on: March 04, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »

I was riding with a buddy on Moonscape, We have ridden it at least 10+ times, AnyHoo, while resting at the top of one of the down hills, I noticed some rocks concreted in under the roots of a large tree going up to what looked like another trail that went up another 15 feet, We didn't think it was a trail so I climbed up to take a look ... Sure enough it was a trail, So off we went... Well, I can do all the drops on Moonscape without blinking, Until I found this one, Shocked
Holy buckets! I rode down it on a prayer, Talk about a pucker factor!

Let me preface, I am 51 and have been back to riding only 6 months after a 10 year break, So this is probably a piece of cake to some of you , But for me it was the ragged edge of my ability  Grin

Realizing how blessed I was to survive this trail the first time, When we went back for the second run we took a pass on venturing that trail again... I will be back, I just didn't want to attempt it after 1 north creek + 1 gatorback + 2 rollercoaster +2 moonscapes, I was out of gas.

Does this side trail have a name? It should be called Oh Sh_t!

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good   example.
   Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »

I believe you are referring to the section of Moonscape known as Doom. It is the best part of the trail IMO.

my other ride has 599 more hp.
CrazyWhiteGuy
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Caution: May cause temporary blindness

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »

Yeah thats Doom
That little skinny on the down hill does have serious pucker power. Last weekend I was out there and did it no brakes, that was cool.

Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black
hairball
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »

Doom is a very appropriate name.

I did it with no brakes also... Mostly because they'd be useless.
Man that was fun.

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »

I rode that after it was just cut in. It still had little tree stubs and branches all over it. I was taking my time with it and made the little technical drop and looked up for some reason and saw the "DOOM" sign hanging from the trees! I remember thinking "what the h#$l". Why would they name it that? Then I cleared the tight turn before the downhill and missed the first smaller drop and had to take the second bigger one. Didn't crash but it made my butt pucker! Shocked

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Anthem1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 01:28:42 PM »

Wow ,me and Mike rode that section today for the first time. I never new it was there Shocked But moving along to the next option, that is the horendous climb to the left!!! Does this also have a name? If not maybe we can call it Humble Pie or A$$ Kicker!!!! We were in option mode today and rode this section too, that is UNTIL Cry the second to last drop. I was feeling good today so as I came over the crest of the climb I dropped straight in quickly deceiding to just bomb thru the first two rock ledges and intending to huck the root ledge at the bottom Roll Eyes That's where things went ugly, with the speed I was carrying I did not get enough weight back and came in a little shallow on the front wheel, next thing I know my chin is bouncing off the trail and my bike which luckly violently uncliped it's self and exclaimed I'M OUTTA HERE Cheesy as I watched it out of the corner of my eye careened off down the ridge into the ferns. upon further inspection of the bike when I came in front tire first I burped the tire flat which I guess played a large roll of sending me flying Undecided I had so much crap in the bead I could not get the tire to seal and had to hoof it out, lucky for me that is pretty close to the trail head Smiley To bad Mike didn't have a helmet cam as this had to have been SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
mksandoz
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »

Here is a pic of the descent Anthem is referring to.  Is this part of DOOM?

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »

No, that is something ridge I beleive. Harvey told me the name of it but I forgot it, Sorry.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Anthem1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »

That picture makes it look lame Smiley kinda like my front wheel. After getting home and cleaning out the bead and airing that puppy up I gave her a spin test and now it goes wonka wonka wobble wobble Cry
hairball
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:29:15 PM »

That's It Anthem!
I remember being grateful for that rock on the right to cut some of the second drop... If thats not Doom, It should have a name to fit.

chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »

Is that at the end of that option? It looks like the drop at the end of lauchness.
hairball
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 05:49:51 PM »

I think there was one more rooty drop section after that, I took a soil sample due to being too ginger on my approach and tucked the front tire.

Anthem1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »

Yes, there was one more rooty drop after this one. The left side of that one ain't no picnic either Shocked
RiskEverything
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »

Technically, there is one more drop after that, and it's a BIG root right before a big drop, so it's freaking weird to get over. Most people seem to skip the last one and instead turn sharp right after this downhill and continue along the trail the "long way out". That last bit is probably my favorite part of this trail, a rooty descent and rooty climbing mess Grin

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.
41ants
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »

You are going to laugh at this...  Everytime I have come accross that section I thought it was a climb.  No wonder I have been having trouble with that section.  Geesh!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: