Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New bike  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
New bike
« on: March 04, 2008, 10:15:12 PM »
Going to be giving the SS 29er thing a shot.  So far my back doesn't appreciate the full rigid thing, but maybe if I got it shape it would not be such a bother.  I do have to admit, they sure are smoooooth.

;D
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: New bike
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 07:55:16 AM »
Glad to see you haven't sold it and are riding it.  I even told a few peeps that want to get into the SS29er that you had it for sale.  Advil works wonders by the way.  But seriously, for me the SS29er ridig wasn't too bad as my 26er.  They slight difference in size of the bike just makes it more comforable on my back.  I've no put on a reba fork on it so is more comforble now.  Kind of miss the ridgit fork how light and smoth it was.  But my arms and shoulders appreciate the fork now.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
That's a nice bike coach, glad you didn't get rid of it either. All you single speed 29'ers are starting to make me want one!  :)

From your screen name are you a coach?
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
Yes, I am a coach at Randall Middle School.  I have coached just about every sport over the last 12 years.  (High school and Middle).  I really do like the Voodoo, it was cheap, rides great, and is light.  Sandpine, was that you at AJ's, with the blue RL, just got your Reba on?  I was picking up my Trance X frame.  Either way, how do you like the Reba?  I am definately putting a suspension fork on.  Can't decide b/w a 100mm Reba ($450-500?), Manitou Minute ($425), RST M-29 ($350).  Any thoughts?

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »
Just curious , I'm a baseball coach and have been a football coach an cordinator.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:53:06 AM »
Sandpine, was that you at AJ's, with the blue RL, just got your Reba on?  I was picking up my Trance X frame.  Either way, how do you like the Reba?  I am definately putting a suspension fork on.  Can't decide b/w a 100mm Reba ($450-500?), Manitou Minute ($425), RST M-29 ($350).  Any thoughts?

Are you Gary who uses glasses and rides with us on Thursdays at Boyette with light on handle bar?  If not, I may have talked to you a bit but can't remember.  Sorry.  Yes that was me getting the Reba.  I told AJ;s when they sold me the bike that I was not going to get the fork through them to save money.  They were cool about it and even offer to put it on for me.  I got it brand new from PricePoint for less then $400.  I waited for one of those extra 10% off sales.  It's a great fork.  Still getting use to a dial a like but for far so good.  It did add almost 2 lbs to the ibke but worth it.  I don't know about the RST.  I went with Reba because I wanted the remote poplock which I haven't bought yet.  I couldn't find Manitou under $400.  Fox was out of my league.  Good luck.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »
No, we haven't met, but I was checking out your RL.  I can run a 100 mm on my Voodoo, and enjoy all the "cush" I can get.  Jenson USA has the Manitou for $425.  I know there is a new Reba coming out, but when, the RST has good reviews, is less $, but it's also heavier, and Fox is lovely, but out of my league.  Are you running 32 X 20 gearing, mine is 34 X 16 and that's gotta go.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
No, we haven't met, but I was checking out your RL.  I can run a 100 mm on my Voodoo, and enjoy all the "cush" I can get.  Jenson USA has the Manitou for $425.  I know there is a new Reba coming out, but when, the RST has good reviews, is less $, but it's also heavier, and Fox is lovely, but out of my league.  Are you running 32 X 20 gearing, mine is 34 X 16 and that's gotta go.
I will have a home for your 34/16 when you are ready.
PM me.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:33:16 PM »
My fat legs can only push a 32x18 right now.  I have a 20T for when I get enough cojones to take it to Alafia.  I wish I had a 19T for Boyette.  I have a 16T too but that no way near pushing that yet.

As for the fork, go with the lightest you can afford.  These babies are already tanks as they are no need to add more weight if you don't need to.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »
Treadlight, I appreciate the offer, but I will hang on to the rings for future endeavors, but I want to go with a 32 X 20, because I mainly ride Alafia, but I figure getting a 32 and a 20 and 18, I should be covered for anything.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 09:16:29 PM »
My fat legs can only push a 32x18 right now.  I have a 20T for when I get enough cojones to take it to Alafia.  I wish I had a 19T for Boyette.  I have a 16T too but that no way near pushing that yet.

As for the fork, go with the lightest you can afford.  These babies are already tanks as they are no need to add more weight if you don't need to.
I think 32/18 is very comfortable with the trails we have.
Hey Marcel, I have 15, 17, 18 & 20, I am missing 16.

Advertisement: