Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Why I love my LBS  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
Why I love my LBS
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
Kudos to Oliver's Cycle Sports !!!

I have seen several posts and heard several stories about weak customer service with Local Bike Shops. I thought I would share a quick story about why I love my shop.

I broke my frame this week while practicing for the Squiggy. I noticed it right after I got on the road on my way home, and I was completely crushed. I called Oliver's as soon as I got home and told them about my problem. I got a call back in about 15 minutes by the owner, Randy, who told me that he would have a brand new frame ready for my by Friday - The manufacturer didn't have any of my bike frames available in my size, but they had the next step up (granted the frames are identical, but I consider it a "soft" upgrade). Anyway, Randy also offered to loan me his personal mountain bike to keep me riding until my bike was ready. I brought my bike into the shop, and they switch out my pedals and set up the saddle height and suspension on the loaner.

I didn't have to sign any paperwork or anything like that. I got an apology, a handshake, and a bike to use until mine is fixed.

I just want to offer my thanks to all the people at Oliver's who have consistently gone above and beyond for me over the past year:

Jayson - Sold Nancy her first bike (which she loves!) and took me on my first wild ride.
Seth - We ran into him out at Boyette - he runs their weekly MTB rides.
Riley - Took care of various component tweaks and repairs. Most of the minor repairs were done at no charge or minimal parts charges. He also patiently worked with me, helping me decide which bike to buy.
Mike - He set up Nancy's clipless pedals and shoes, and he worked with her as she took her first clipless ride.
Brian - He's a master mechanic and wealth of information. He did the initial setup and explanation of my new bike.
Randy - The guy let me borrow his bike! What more do I say!

Thanks again gang!!!

Oliver's Cycle Sports on the web: http://oliverscycles.homestead.com/newsite/index.html
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Anthem1

Re: Why I love my LBS
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 09:19:09 AM »
That's SWEET JD, and uncommon in this day and age. Word of mouth is the best advertisment.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:48:20 AM »
Did you buy this bike from them?  That is the kind of service you would think they would give to you.  If you support them and buy their products.  If they are doing this and you didn't buy that bike from them... WOW that would be super nice of them.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:00:08 AM »
 I agree Jason. Sorry to hear about your frame. That's the same way Chainwheel Dr. takes care of me. They always go over and beyond for me.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:02:14 AM »
Even if he did buy the bike from them, I'd say that them setting him up with a loaner until the new frame comes in is above and beyond what I would expect.  It is nice having a good shop to deal with.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »
I agree, I bought my bike from Oliver's and they have all been incredibly helpful and provided exceptional after-the-sale support.  I will definitely be purchasing from them again when I'm ready to upgrade bikes. 
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
I have been singing their praises for quite some time now. It is in fact the way the treat customers whether or not you have bought the bike from them. They have on several occasions offered me a loaner, but luckily in most cases they have resolved my problems right on the spot.

They are not perfect, but as a rule, they really try to make you and keep you as a customer.

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »
Just got finished riding - I REALLY like the loaner bike (It is full suspension, mine is a hard tail). I'm beginning to think that this whole thing is just an elaborate plot to get me to upgrade  :D :D :D

I did purchase my bike from them, but I didn't expect that I would receive the new frame so soon, and get a loaner bike...

J
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »
I have started helping out at a LBS in Brooksville. It is the Brooksville Bike Shop. It was closed for a year and a half because the owner Mark had health problems related to some sort of poisoning. Evidently he got really bad off and couldn't keep up with stuff. He has gotten the health issues figured out and is open again.

I have been helping try to get the place in order. I have never seen so much bike stuff in one location! Insane.
He has over 600 bikes in stock!! He has about 350 in boxes in the back of the place. And parts like crazy too.

Mike Cole

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 08:51:57 AM »
Great to hear LBS going above and beyond. 

Raf over at Bike Works has been great to my wife and I....despite the fact that neither of us purchased our bikes there.  I've also had great experiences at AJ's and Flying Fish. 

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 10:08:57 AM »
I'm going to be honest here and say, I've never gotten tremendous service from a LBS..
They have almost always charged too much for simple repairs (good thing I'm a mechanic, and can handle it myself.) Their parts tend to be about 25% higher than internet prices, to which I understand how and why that is, but still it's hard to justify spending an extra $25 for a $75 part.
without naming names, (ahem UBC) I had to replace my chain rings before the Squiggy, for my TruVativ FireX crank set. They didn't have any TruVativ sets or so I was told. So he handed me a XTR set. that I paid out the bum for. Got home, the chain rings bolt holes we're all off by 3 MM, and had a rounded area, that needed to be flat in order to fit. So I took the gears back the afternoon before the race, and he had an entire TurVativ crank set sitting RIGHT NEXT to the XTR rings he had handed me..the entire crank set was only $10 more than the MIDDLE CHAIN RING of the XTR set. Seems like A. He should have known the XTR set wouldn't fit my TruVativ arms, and B. He should have known I could have saved a ton of money, and time by just buying the TruVativ crank, and not tried to make me spend nearly $120 on XTR rings I couldn't even use. It was aggrivating to say the least.
Further, I get tired of being talked to like I am a total idiot by the techs, I understand they usually deal with people not qualified to work on anything, let alone a bike..but once, I make it apparent, I'm NOT one of those, it would be great to just get straight answers.
My friend had a front brake problem, his front discs just didn't have any stopping power..I happened to be in there for something else, so I asked if he had any tips for me, that I didn't already know from years of mechanic service, and he wouldn't tell me anything except, that they we're going to charge $20 for a brake inspection, then they would likely have to replace all of the cables (even though they are less than a few months old.)..and possibly the brake pads.
In other words, he was trying to milk me for as much labor charges as he could get not to mention he'd likely stick some XTR (ie; expensive) cables on the bike that we're totally unnecessary. I didn't fall off the truck last night, so I came home, readjusted them to where I like them, scuffed the pad, and cleaned them and the rotor with contact cleaner, and what do you know, the brakes worked much better. Imagine that.

I guess I'm just not in the clique enough to get great service from LBS's yet. :(
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 10:34:08 AM »
Bought a helmet a coupla years back from one of my LBS's.  Right off the shelf, took it to the register and paid.  Next day, I found a Giro that fit better, so a few days later I took the Bell back to the LBS.  They refunded my money, minus a 're-stocking' fee.  Don't recall the per cent fee charged, and it wasn't much, but this was an in-stock item, not a special order of something they didn't normally carry.  As a result of their policies I now only purchase minor necessities (gels, lube, etc) from this shop (but still go there for repairs).
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 11:37:35 AM »
...the saga continues...

Ok, so I broke my derailleur hanger as I passed the baton off from my first lap of the Squiggy. It was loud, and I heard a sea of groans from everyone waiting at the gate. I had just gotten my new frame back, and this was its first time out on the trails. I'd say the water and mud were a good initiation. Well, I made the newbie mistake of trying to force what I thought was a stuck chain, which resulted in a CRACK, followed by a limply dangling derailleur. I still had the loaner bike, and had a great second and third lap.

I took my bike in to the shop on Sunday afternoon, and the guys had it apart, part replaced, and bike back together in about 30 minutes (the bracket on the derailleur was wedged to the broken hanger, so they had to pry it loose). They also cleaned my rear cable and re-lubed it and re-adjusted the indexing. I asked how much I owed, and I was told that it was no charge.

I really don't want to break anything else, but I am confident that if I do, I will be bringing my bike back to Oliver's.
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
Nice of them.  Let us know when the frebbies run out.  I hope not though...

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »
I need to check Olivers out, because I'm not really impressed with my usual stops, and end up buying the parts myself, on the internet. I'd like personal service, but I can't bring myself to pay far more for the part AND have to deal with sub-par service. If I'm going to pay that extra 20% to help keep a local shop open, they should make it worth it, and wait on me hand and foot, and be as helpful as possible...not try to sell me the most expensive version of the part I need, without even verifying that the part will work, when something that will obviously work is in stock, and considerably cheaper.

The bike shop in question has a sweet Specialized enduro for a good price, I have been eye balling, but I wont buy it from there, because I wont deal with that mentality in the service department, I know the game too well for that, and for a bike of that cost and quality, I want good service to come with it.
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Advertisement: