SWAMP Community Forums
May 02, 2008, 11:33:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thank You for participating in our Forums!  You add character to our site!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: poor indian  (Read 745 times)
robg
First Bike

« on: March 08, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »

Does anyone think Indian will ever be the same after Squiggy?  ...what irony... the one day in the past 6+ months that it should have been closed, it gets the flogging of its life. We'll miss you Indian! Smiley
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:03:45 AM »

Indian is usually closed for weeks when it has that much water. Now with that much damage I don't think we will see that trail for a long time. It will recover bit who knows how long and how many volunteer hours is going to take. Was it worth it? Squiggy may not be the same with out it. But Grampa would have been just fine.   

SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:06:40 AM »

Alan
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »

Those parts of Indian sucked every bit of life out of me.  I love that trail, but yesterday I absolutely loathed it.  Can't wait to hit it again once she dries up and returns to her former glory. 
singletrackmind
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »

I hadn't ridden there in a while, and didn't even recognize that trail as Indian...the water and mud were horrible.

Green Cannondale Prophet.......Now minus the LEFTY....Gone! Soon to be Santa Cruz Blur LT
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »

Maybe we should have brought our mask, snorkel, and fins also!

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
slowfatguy
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 02:30:49 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sometimes a race is the worst thing we can do to a trail! That is just terrible.

my other ride has 599 more hp.
robg
First Bike

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »

I'm not gonna lie... it was a blast. In the moment, it had its frustrating times, but what a cool extra element we had. It really does suck that Indian had to take such a beating though.

This year should be the called the 12 hours of Squiggy ... 6 hours of riding and another 6 to clean the mud off your bike. I dropped $12 in quarters at a DIY car wash this morning. You should have seen what when down the drain. I think there was an old tennis shoe, a toaster and some other random garbage that came off the bike. I'll still be finding mud a year from now.
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »

I'm not gonna lie... it was a blast. In the moment, it had its frustrating times, but what a cool extra element we had. It really does suck that Indian had to take such a beating though.

This year should be the called the 12 hours of Squiggy ... 6 hours of riding and another 6 to clean the mud off your bike. I dropped $12 in quarters at a DIY car wash this morning. You should have seen what when down the drain. I think there was an old tennis shoe, a toaster and some other random garbage that came off the bike. I'll still be finding mud a year from now.

Just say no!!  Never, ever, take your bike to the car wash and blast it off.  You will force water and grit into areas that are not supposed to have it.  Instead - gently, (read low volume), hose off the bike and with a 3 or 4 inch paint brush of decent quality and a spray bottle of 409 clean the frame, wheels, fork, post and gears.  Gently rinsing off afterwards.  Use a chain bath to clean the grit and buildup off the chain - might have to do this 2 or 3 times to get it good and clean.  Towel dry and air dry.  Final clean with a soft clean rag and Windex.  Lube chain, deraillieur and cable housings. Ride.  :-)
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 03:31:36 PM »

Just say no!!  Never, ever, take your bike to the car wash and blast it off.  You will force water and grit into areas that are not supposed to have it.  Instead - gently, (read low volume), hose off the bike and with a 3 or 4 inch paint brush of decent quality and a spray bottle of 409 clean the frame, wheels, fork, post and gears.  Gently rinsing off afterwards.  Use a chain bath to clean the grit and buildup off the chain - might have to do this 2 or 3 times to get it good and clean.  Towel dry and air dry.  Final clean with a soft clean rag and Windex.  Lube chain, deraillieur and cable housings. Ride.  :-)

I got that part, but how about my shoes?

As far as Indian goes, I am torn as to if it was good or not to have it in. The trail will take time to recover, and it may not ever quite be the same, but it added a technical element to the race. I too had a blast riding it, it was like riding it runny brownie batter. It didn't taste very good when it got in your mouth, but it was fun splashing and sliding around! People are always complaining that there is no challenge at Morris Bridge, that was challenging!

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 04:26:03 PM »

I just took my bottom bracket apart expecting to find some guppies or frogs or al least tadpoles Cheesy Not a drop! Of course now that I broke that hermetic seal I am probably done for Smiley
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »

I just took my bottom bracket apart expecting to find some guppies or frogs or al least tadpoles Cheesy Not a drop! Of course now that I broke that hermetic seal I am probably done for Smiley

I watched in amazement as 6-8 oz of water poored out of Jonathon's seat tube today. I guess the freshly instaalled drainage hole on my bottom bracket came in handy, as my bike is dry...Shoes still wet, bike dry! Smiley

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Alan
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 05:37:01 PM »

Everything came clean today but I have a terrible gritty sound when I steer my bike.  Somehow some dirt/mud ended up in the head.  Can I just take off the stem, drop the fork, and clean that sucker out....or is there more to it?
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 05:48:34 PM »

People are always complaining that there is no challenge at Morris Bridge, that was challenging!

I hear that often too.  Usually from people who don't know how to mix up the trails once they get used to riding the same ones the same way.  It's fairly easy to take the Morris Bridge side and turn the trails around, connect into them from a different direction or whatever.  I think that makes them different trails and a bit of a challenge when you ramp the speed up.  I do agree, there are no real technical challenges to speak of except some roots on a few trails.  How many people blast by the sandy pits after Hole-In-The-Fence and don't even tackle them for the fun they hold?   Sure, it's not Santos, or Alafia, but it is what it is. Each trail system is different.  I find it hard to complain when we have over 25 miles to choose from within the three Wilderness Trail parks, and some areas are lucky to have 12 miles of nearby trail.
I was glad to see so many women racing yesterday!.  It just doesn't get any better.
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 07:46:18 PM »

Everything came clean today but I have a terrible gritty sound when I steer my bike.  Somehow some dirt/mud ended up in the head.  Can I just take off the stem, drop the fork, and clean that sucker out....or is there more to it?

Yes you can, and should.  Clean the grease off of the bearings or cartridge and reapply with a good quality grease Phil Woods or Park Tools Polylube 1000.  If you don't feel comfortable with it it wouldn't take much for your LBS to do it for you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: