Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Chain question  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Chain question
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:25:03 PM »
Hey -- What product do you use to degrease your chain and where do you buy it? The stuff I'm using is kind of pricey. Thanks

Offline Jersh

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
Re: Chain question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 05:36:08 PM »

I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of this, I'm not sure how much it differs from the regular Simple Green that you can get in the automotive dept of Wal-Mart or at any auto parts store... Which by the way I've used the regular stuff and it works good if you soak the chain for a good hour or so...

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_bike.php
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 05:45:15 PM »
See suggestion from Harvey on the following thread.  http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,1877.msg14942.html#msg14942 I will be switching to that soon.  I've been using Nashbar Citrus Degreaser at $7.95 per the 32oz bottle.  I was ordering many at the time when they have free shipping or 10% additional off.  I think I was paying like $12 or more for the smaller Park Tool chain clearner bottle.  Never again.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
I had been using Pedro's Bio degreaser. I would buy it by the gallon, it was much cheaper that way, however; with that I would have to us my chain cleaning tool, and I would have to run it three or four cycles to get it mostly clean. I just switched to regular, buy it in the grocery store Simple Green. It is 3.49 a bottle and it works way, way better than the Pedro's. I just picked up two bottles an hour ago. My drivetrain is very clean. 

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »
What about lube? I just cleaned my chain yesterday with the park de-greaser and used White Lightning dry wax lube after. I had read it was better to use a dry lube in dirty, sandy areas as the lube is not supposed to hold the dirt like wet lubes. is that right?

Also, how often should you de-grease and re-lube the drive train?

Thanks!

Darrin

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:21:45 PM »
Hey -- What product do you use to degrease your chain and where do you buy it? The stuff I'm using is kind of pricey. Thanks

Dawn liquid dishwashing detergent works great.  In one of the chain baths put a dollop of about a quarter to half dollar size in the bottom, lightly run warm water in to the fill line, and run the chain through it until clean.  (Repeat if needed) Rinse with water, towel dry and let air dry or blow the links dry, then apply lube to each link.  Back spin 3 or 4 revolutions let sit a minute or so and wipe off excess.

White Lightning for most conditions is good.  Krytec Wax Lube is good.  Finish Line Wet Lube for wet or dry conditions.  Finish Line Dry Lube works great too.  Pro Link is another really good choice for the chain.  It lubes, cleans, and treats the metal.  I like leaving it on for a few minutes, then wipe off the excess.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »
I've always used Simple Green, diluted down with water you can make a bottle last forever. Just don't let is sit on the chain for a long time or it will etch it and make it rust. For lube I've always used Prolink. It is a light oil that will also break up and disolve some of the gunk on the chain. I've had really good luck with it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »
What about lube? I just cleaned my chain yesterday with the park de-greaser and used White Lightning dry wax lube after. I had read it was better to use a dry lube in dirty, sandy areas as the lube is not supposed to hold the dirt like wet lubes. is that right?

Also, how often should you de-grease and re-lube the drive train?

Thanks!

Darrin

I really like "Rock and Rock Blue". It does not collect the sand like the wax lubes that I have tried do.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »
409 in a chain cleaner and Pro Link.  I read somewhere a major university did a test and basically said any lube or no lube, it didn't matter as long as the chain was clean.  I don't agree about the no lube, but I think as long as you are cleaning it regularly and putting some lubricant you can't go wrong.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Anthem1

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »
I heard about using a plastic bottle with some degreaser and deceided to try it, WOW!!! Put the chain in the bottle with minimal degreaser and shake shake shake, drain repeat and do a third rinse cycle with pure hot water. The chain comes out like new :)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 10:02:20 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas.

Do most of you take the chain off the bike to clean it thoroughly or wipe it clean while it is still on the drive train?

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »
Chain cleaner while it's on.  Repeatedly loosening the chain can't be good.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 11:21:11 AM »
I use diluted simple green to clean the chain and rock and roll extreme (blue) to lube it.  If I can't fir R&R I use prolink
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Anthem1

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 08:12:55 PM »
If you have a SRAM powerlink, you can remove the chain as often as you please :) By the way I am running a Shimano chain with the Sram powerlink with no compatability issues. Why didn't I do this earlier ???

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 08:41:08 PM »
With the simple green, I haven't had to take the chain off or use the chain cleaning tool...

Advertisement: