Author Topic: Colon cleansing???  (Read 10368 times)

Offline scubastud

• Huffy Rider
Colon cleansing???
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:51:47 PM »
As of late, my wife has this increased in having her colon cleansed either by pills or other means. She seems to believe it will rid her of toxins and possibly help her lose a pound or two.

Most serious cyclists are in excellent shape which probably means there isn't a huge interest in this but has anyone either had this performed themself or know someone that has underwent the process?

Just looking for real live testimonials.........good or bad............

Thanks in advance

Jason
"Life is short so break the rules and never regret anything that made you smile..."

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Re: Colon cleansing???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 09:38:56 PM »
A well known karate and kickboxer I new had his colon cleaned quite regularly and claimed it helped him. I've forgotten how often, but it seems to me like it was about every 1-2 weeks.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:52:13 PM »
I knew Ken would be the first to respond to this. :o

But seriously, I have heard that this is a beneficial thing to do occasionally.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »
I've never had it done, but.....I did have a colonoscopy one time and that was enough for me. Doctor went where no man has been before!  >:(

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:16 PM »
Yeah I had one of those!!! The procedure wasn't nearly as bad as the preperation.....In a way that was a colon cleanse...I will never be able to drink apple juice again. And I am so thankful for that doctor having very small hands. :D :o

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
This topic reminds me of the scene from Nutty Professor when the whole family is at the table talking about colon cleansing.  ;D
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 07:17:14 AM »
Whats up Scubastud!  Long time ago I had a series of colonics done. I would strongly recommend it for anyone. Like anything else though it depends on the person who is doing the work  for maximum results.  I was fortunate enough to be steered to a lady in Winter Park who had been doing this for 20 years.  Colonics is a series of massage  sessions where the colon is pressurised with water and then massaged and this procedure is repeated over and over again. After each massage the water is released and old excrement that has been massaged loose from the colon walls is flushed out. Some believe that alot of disease in the body begins in the colon from compacted waste that has leached through the colon walls and if compacted severely, affects overall digestion.  Each session this will be done many times and  after a several weeks hopefully the whole colon has been  cleaned. The results depend  upon the condition of the colon at the onset. I did this about once a week for 6 weeks in conjunction with a strict diet regimen under the guidance of a nutritionist  and after 40 days the results were unbelievable. The diet was for detox and overall healthy eating. The results were ubelievable. How much was from the diet or the colonics is hard to say, but the results were unbelievable. Did I say yet that the results were unbelievable?  Dude!!   ;D Energy level like you wouldn't believe. Waking up in the morning and instantly feeling ready to go. Sleep times cut down to 5 hours a night. There was nothing wrong healthwise when I had this done, only did it because a friends wife had it done and she had dramatic results also. I've read many times that women are more likely to be prone to colon problems because of social pressures they do not go to the bathroom when they feel the need. Over a lifetime of doing this, the result is a less than healthy colon. There are some products out there now that  look  pretty good. I haven't tried it yet but have purchased Oxy Powder. I bought a kit which is a colon cleanse, parasite cleanse. A friend did use it and said it was good. If you use any of the colon cleanses it is important that you supplement with a good quality pro-biotic (good beneficial  bacteria) to replenish what you are stripping from the  digestive tract.  The AMA says there are no benefits to this. Each to his own in my opinion. The AMA is a profit driven organisation  that is based upon treating symptoms of disease, not curing the disease or preventing them. Take control of your own health.  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:24:56 AM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:58:41 AM »
Great read Ellsrider. I knew the general principals but not in that detail. Alot of good information there Ells, thanks for the info buddy! :) Definately an applaud there.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »
Have her do the parasite cleanse in conjunction with it and watch the worms play in the toilet! ;D Sorry, I hope none of you were eating but it does happen. This is another important cleanse! :o

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 08:59:27 PM »
Worms = Protein

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 02:37:57 PM »
i might go get this done for the sheer recreation of it all - if there are health benefits then that is just a bonus

Offline c-dalerider

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • wishing I could ride more!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:35:20 AM »
a couple of years ago, I tried colon cleansing products from Dr. Natura.  The results were good and somewhat disturbing (what comes out is pretty amazing - both in content and amount!  :o)

http://www.drnatura.com/?gclid=CMXM2pbq5JICFQIgPAod5wsbfQ

I have been seriously considering ordering again.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »
Has anyone looked into the negative side of this?  I started reading a little on this I've seen detox plans recommended when you enbark on a new diet plan or for other helath related issues.  But does anyone believe that some of this detox products you can buy actually create the "stuff" that comes out and therefore they can claim they are cleaning your body when they may not be?  Just wondering....   I just read this on WikiPedia:

"Quackwatch describes body cleansing and detoxification as an elaborate hoax used by con artists to cure nonexistent illnesses. The 'toxins' that are removed have been described as invented to give promoters something pretend they can fix.[1] Medical experts state that the body cleansing is unnecessary since the body is actually very good at maintaining itself, with several organs dedicated to cleansing the blood and gut.[2]"

Offline c-dalerider

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • wishing I could ride more!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »
I suppose it may be a like a lot of things.  Moderation is probably the key.  Also, I think a lot of may come down to what side you are reading.  Naturalists love it, the medical profession hates it (for obvious and various reasons I suppose) I have read more positives than negatives though.

I guess for me, it comes down to talk to people who have actually went through it and get their opinion - especially like Ellsrider and find out both the negatives and positives.  For me, when I did the detox thing, I didn't notice weight loss as much as I just felt better. More energy and less 'bound' up.

just my .02 FWIW

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 11:40:47 AM »
I have never talked to anybody that has done it and gotten negative feedback.

Offline Jersh

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »
I think Marcel has a very valid point here... While I am by no means a GI expert, I do have a fairly strong medical background and therefore would prefer to see some blind scientific clinical studies done on treatments like this before I use them.  Of course this is just my individual opinion.   It's important to remember that Colonix and other similar product are neither approved nor regulated by the FDA, and since they are listed as 'herbal remedies' it is my understanding that they can basically claim whatever they choose so long as they indicate it's herbal and not FDA approved or regulated.  Again, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use this stuff, but for me, as long as my pooper is workin' like it should and I feel ok, then I'm not gonna mess with it haha.

Dr. J
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »
I think Marcel has a very valid point here... While I am by no means a GI expert, I do have a fairly strong medical background and therefore would prefer to see some blind scientific clinical studies done on treatments like this before I use them.  Of course this is just my individual opinion.   It's important to remember that Colonix and other similar product are neither approved nor regulated by the FDA, and since they are listed as 'herbal remedies' it is my understanding that they can basically claim whatever they choose so long as they indicate it's herbal and not FDA approved or regulated.  Again, I'm not saying you should or shouldn't use this stuff, but for me, as long as my pooper is workin' like it should and I feel ok, then I'm not gonna mess with it haha.

Dr. J

and it is important to remember that the FDA and the medical community as a whole benefits by us staying sick and would lose tons of money if we all found more natural ways to take care of ourselves

Offline Jersh

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Josh O'Donnell Photography
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 12:49:56 PM »

and it is important to remember that the FDA and the medical community as a whole benefits by us staying sick and would lose tons of money if we all found more natural ways to take care of ourselves

Oh I completely agree with that as well... I'm by no means saying that these methods are bogus or anything like that. I'm just saying that stuff that products with no oversite can basically claim whatever they want.  I'm the first to admit that the FDA drops the ball quite often, by approving stuff that should never be approved and by overlooking stuff that is very beneficial. 
Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »

Oh I completely agree with that as well... I'm by no means saying that these methods are bogus or anything like that. I'm just saying that stuff that products with no oversite can basically claim whatever they want.  I'm the first to admit that the FDA drops the ball quite often, by approving stuff that should never be approved and by overlooking stuff that is very beneficial. 

It is too hard to get any real information of stuff like this - I guess first hand testimonials is the way to go

I wish I could get some real info on laser hair removal...but it is too hard to sift through all the garbage

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 02:51:30 PM »
Looking to get a bikini wax? :o

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 03:10:07 PM »

I'm the first to admit that the FDA drops the ball quite often, by approving stuff that should never be approved and by overlooking stuff that is very beneficial. 
And over smooching and all expense travel to Hawaii provided by pharmaceutical company.
Plus they have lobbyist in DC which provides personal jets for Congress to check their "R&D Facility"

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
Looking to get a bikini wax? :o

i want more than a wax - i want a perminant solution

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 04:04:12 PM »
You're not going to make us wax for the race are you?

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 04:18:55 PM »
You're not going to make us wax for the race are you?

wax?  no no no - tweezers will work

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
Ouch!!!!

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 02:52:19 PM »
It sure seems like there are "procedures" for every ailment out there. And if the FDA and medical field want to keep us sick so they make money, all the herbal remedies and holistic healing factions are trying to get the rest of your money.... Im sure their not in it for the goodwill alone. Heck, get your colon hosed out if you think that will work, but maybe you should think about what you put in it to start with- that is something you control without having to have any procedures done to make you healthy.
Want to have energy and feel good? Try the basics.... a good 30-40 minutes of cardio in the AM( not the liesurely walk or ride but a good solid 1/2 hour of cardio)exercise regularly, eat a good breakfast everyday, stop eating 3 huge meals a day but maybe six smaller ones, cut down on your portion size. Stop eating(drinking)  all that sugar. Eat less amounts of bread and dairy. Work out regularly. You would be amazed at how well you will feel after a month of this. I know I did it when I started working out again. I lost almost 30lbs in 8-10 weeks and felt better than I had in about 8 years. That is why I got back into Mountain biking.
Its amazing what a little common sense will do for you even though I needed a personal trainer for a month to explain to me! And they are out their to get what is left of your cash to make you feel good.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »
Can't argue with good advice. Well said. We all need to be independently healthy. Basics. I need some motivation, how much did that trainer cost you?
" Not this time, Lance"