SWAMP Community Forums
May 23, 2008, 09:06:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Alafia Trail Map available to SWAMPers!
The April 2008 trail map, which includes North Creek phase 4, is available in the Trail Map section.  You must be a SWAMP Club Member to view these additional boards.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Creek from a "Newbies" perspective  (Read 1868 times)
kerbouchaud
First Bike

My other ride is Yo Mamma!

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »

One of the things that kind of surprised me about North creek is that parts of it seem even more technical than a lot of parts on rollercoaster. In fact, I think that if you take the bypasses on Rollercoaster that overall it's an easier trail than North creek. North creek seems to have something goin on for nearly the entire trail. It seems like you are constantly going up and down hill, riding over features or hanging off the side of a hill. The first loop I did on Saturday we had a couple that were fairly new to the sport who bailed within the first 100 yards or so because the lady nearly went over the edge on the first terraced downhill. Kind of freaked her out so they spent the rest of the day on the river loop and sand pine.

Just Throw $$
Tbalestrini
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »

I absolutley love this trail. it was the first trail I rode after having been out of the sport for close to 2 years, at first it really put me to work and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but once you have an idea of the layout and style of the trail it is much easier to make use of the fast sections which really help out alot if stamina is an issue.
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »

Road it again today and it was a little slippery but I did better than the last time. Only had to stop twice to catch my breath. River loop was really wet. I ran over 2 black snakes and I almost hit a pig. 

If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
kerbouchaud
First Bike

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 05:30:53 PM »

I absolutley love this trail. it was the first trail I rode after having been out of the sport for close to 2 years, at first it really put me to work and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but once you have an idea of the layout and style of the trail it is much easier to make use of the fast sections which really help out alot if stamina is an issue.
I'm blaming my stamina issues on middle age. From what I hear it's a pretty common problem. Grin

Just Throw $$
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »

LOL! yes but you can overcome it!

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 11:18:12 PM »

Hey I thought the new bridge (board) over troubled water was COOL Shocked I really like the log crossing on the new North Reak finger, looks a lot worse than it is Smiley
kerbouchaud
First Bike

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 07:32:36 AM »

The bridge over troubled waters was the source of much amusement during out group ride last weekend.
I sat there and watched for like 10 minutes. Some folks cleaned it without thoughts, some others made it with a lot of wobble, and some folks dumped in on their heads. It kind of reminds me of Brer Rabbits Laffing place. I guess that's my laughing place. Wink

Just Throw $$
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »

I prefer to ride right through the water/mud. Grin It doesn't usually slow me much Tongue ......Except the first time through on Thursday, I managed to keep everything but my palms and toes out of the water.....ooooops!  Shocked

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »

Thank you for being considerate enough to fall out of the way for the riders behind you  Cheesy
RiskEverything
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 04:46:42 PM »

I don't care who you are, if North Creek was your first technical trail experience it will make you pucker Shocked

That says it all. North Creek was my first MTB trail ever, and I sure had to stop and wheeze a lot before it was over Cheesy

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.
kerbouchaud
First Bike

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 09:31:38 PM »

I can totally see the pucker factor in that, even for seasoned flat land riders, the idea of hanging off of some of those ledges and some of the uphill in the midst of a switchback while not particularly difficult can definately mess with your head. I think of North Creek as more of an endurance trail with the pucker factor being more from the psychological area and maybe fatigue. Of course as on any of the blues, black and double black trails almost any wipeout will result in blood loss and or a dunking in the creek.

Just Throw $$
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 08:43:20 AM »

Those off camber turns with ledges mess with my 11 year old also. I just tell him to focus on the trail not the hill. "Look where you want to go."

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
RJ
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »

North Creek is a blast, but you can run into some unexpected hazards.  The switchback on the new section had some blockage Friday (4/18)
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 04:46:40 PM »

I can still  clear it ..... maybe a little faster even?!!!!

That is crazy! Shocked

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 10:42:43 AM »

North Creek is a blast, but you can run into some unexpected hazards.  The switchback on the new section had some blockage Friday (4/18)
Holly TAMALES!!!  I better not take a break at the section anymore!  P.S.  I am stealing your pic for my collection and will use it at times.  No worries, giving you credit.

BTW, are you RJ, the RJ, the fast racer RJ??

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: