SWAMP Community Forums
June 11, 2008, 06:25:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Boyette Scrub Trail Map available to SWAMP Mountain Bike Club members.  Check the Trail Maps section.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I love my LBS  (Read 815 times)
BillT
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 12:55:16 PM »

You shouldn't shun purchasing the bike just because you don't like the service department.  Instead you should:

1.  get the bike
2.  purchase this book - http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance/dp/193138259X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205254273&sr=1-1
3.  Buy this tool kit:  http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL707E08-Park+Bk-2+Roll+Up+Workshop.aspx
4.  Browse this site when you can't find the answer in the book or want more information:  http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp
5.  Buy/borrow any specialty tools that you may need as you need them (i.e. the special wrench needed to install a Shimano external bottom bracket crankset, etc)

LTS guy
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

I named my bike sinister, because it is. ;/

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »

no need. I can do anything that needs to be done, and I have the tools to do it.
But I like warranties, and you don't get a bike loaner from a book.
Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

I worked at Ford for a while, a few of the techs had new cars, none of the techs worked on their own cars, kept Ford from using that as an excuse not to honor warranties. It does happen..not as often in bikes, but I don't touch things until the warranty is over.

besides that, not having a good service department is a good reason to take your buisness elsewhere.
They we're clearly shady enough to attempt to sell me a part, based on it's price, not how useful it would be to me..if that is their standard operating procedure I certainly don't want someone with the same mindset selling me a bike.

Run-4-3v3r
Birdman Flight club
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 01:49:10 PM »

The service that Jason has been getting is very typical of Oliver's. I have been using them for almost 3 years now. I don't get every single thing from them, but enough that they all know my name, and my kid's names. You can always save a few bucks on stuff on the internet, but remember the money you saved if and when it comes time for warranty. More than once have I walked in with a broken part that "might" be warranteed, and walked out with the replacement on my bike, usually before the manufacturer was contacted and almost always within a half an hour. 

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »

Gregg--a pic without the persons shadow on the bike would be much better--come on dude think. Shocked

Mike Cole
BillT
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 02:06:06 PM »

I wouldn't take the instance of the XTR chainring as being shady...more than likely it was a lack of knowledge on the shops part by not realizing that Shimano in their infinite wisdom decided to make their XTR cranksets in a funky bolt diameter pattern that is not compatible with anything they or anyone else makes.

I'm lucky that I have 2 really good service departments near me in Orlando with Orange Cycle Works and Kyle's Bike Shop.  I get great service, fast turnaround, and reasonable prices from each place.
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »

Gregg--a pic without the persons shadow on the bike would be much better--come on dude think. Shocked

That wasn't my shadow, that was mud from Indian. I was going to change the pic anyway.

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Alan
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 09:37:28 PM »

You shouldn't shun purchasing the bike just because you don't like the service department.  Instead you should:

1.  get the bike
2.  purchase this book - http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance/dp/193138259X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205254273&sr=1-1
3.  Buy this tool kit:  http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL707E08-Park+Bk-2+Roll+Up+Workshop.aspx
4.  Browse this site when you can't find the answer in the book or want more information:  http://www.parktool.com/repair/bikemap.asp
5.  Buy/borrow any specialty tools that you may need as you need them (i.e. the special wrench needed to install a Shimano external bottom bracket crankset, etc)

Very good point.  My goal is to become my own mechanic to a certain extent.  Knowledge of bike mechanics is critical to the budget minded biker (and I'm a cheap mofo to  a certain extent). 

Squiggy and my stuipidity really did a number on my bike (Indian provided the mud/water and I waited too long to properly clean the bike).  I went to my LBS thinking I'd have them tear it down, clean up the BB, and service the headset bearings.  Instead I decided to purchase the BB tool and crank extractor tool then went to town on the bike tonight.  Feel great about doing something myself.  Granted the tools aren't cheap but they will pay for themselves down the road.  Doing things myself allows me to spend more money on components.....such as the replacement of my RaceFace SRX BB that I'm pretty sure is toast.
noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »

It seems to me that all the mountain bike riders I know are working on there bikes quite a bit--problems with shifting, adjustments galore and so on.

Ahhh no speeds and rigid everything--the simple life!! Cheesy   I even have rigid wheels now! Wink Who needs spokes?

Mike Cole
LTS guy
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

I named my bike sinister, because it is. ;/

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »

ah no. I love my over-complicated couch. Grin

I could use a new fork, but aside from that, I've never had a problem, keeping my bike singing..I've been real lucky in regards to my drive train.

Rigid, would be fine for somewhere like Alafia, where it's relatively smooth and fast..but roots, rocks and rigids? no thanks, thats a bad combo..or so my ass tells me..lol

Run-4-3v3r
Birdman Flight club
Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »

Another kudos for Olivers... Thursday evening Gregg and I were out riding and I realized my computer wasn't working.  Then it dawned on me that I had new wheels with no magnet.  D'oh.  So I went in there yesterday to pick up a computer magnet... Also bought a new set of Ergon grips.  Anyways, told the guy that I needed a magnet, and as he was ringing me up and said 'I'm just going to give this to you, it's just laying around here' and he handed me a used magnet for free of charge.  Sure, I know even if I had paid for it, it would have been dirt cheap, but still, the fact that they just gave it to me speaks volumes for me. 

Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: