Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: It finally happened  (Read 2558 times)

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
It finally happened
« on: March 30, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »
Today on a solo road ride, my first in over a month, I was chugging along at 18-20 mph. I was at mile 11 and I saw a shadow of another rider coming up behind me. I eased to my right and exchanged pleasantries with the first 2 riders. But then, I nearly wrecked myself when I saw the next rider was the dreaded fat lady in tight pink spandex. At least 225 lbs. and only about 5ft 2in.  :o She was passing me like I was standing still. Sure she was being pulled by 2 dudes, but the sight of the big woman passing me took away any pride I had.

I know I've heard some of you talk about similar embarassing experiences but for me it was a wake up call. I've got to get back in shape. And I made a promise to never call any one fat except for myself.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
Re: It finally happened
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:49:30 AM »
oh man i thought this was going to be about you falling in the water....but wow.....sorry man
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
LOL! :D
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »
Man! you should feel terrible! ;D ;D Any other short comings you want to share. ;D Just playing, It happens to all of us. When I did six gap last year( a mountain road century)I was in the middle of a steep long climb when I hear a rider come up on my left at a strong pace. I look and to my surprise it was about an eleven year old boy with old shorts on and riding what looked to be his dads extra large 1980s steel shwinn! The seat was all of the way down and the kid was on flat pedals reaching with his tippy toes to get in the pedal strokes. Once he passed he just kept on going and I never saw him again. :o That was a very hummbling experience! It still bugs me! ;D

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 02:29:47 PM »
Even after you broke out your own window so you wouldn't miss your ride, you haven't forced yourself into riding more. Bummer! That is pretty funny though!

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 07:28:42 PM »
Even after you broke out your own window so you wouldn't miss your ride, you haven't forced yourself into riding more. Bummer! That is pretty funny though!

It's not from a lack of desire. That's for sure. Spring is the busiest time of year for me. I've been...running 3 times a week.  :-[  It's all I have time for right now. But I'll get back on that bike.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 07:52:19 PM »
Today on a solo road ride, my first in over a month, I was chugging along at 18-20 mph. I was at mile 11 and I saw a shadow of another rider coming up behind me. I eased to my right and exchanged pleasantries with the first 2 riders. But then, I nearly wrecked myself when I saw the next rider was the dreaded fat lady in tight pink spandex. At least 225 lbs. and only about 5ft 2in.  :o She was passing me like I was standing still. Sure she was being pulled by 2 dudes, but the sight of the big woman passing me took away any pride I had.

I know I've heard some of you talk about similar embarassing experiences but for me it was a wake up call. I've got to get back in shape. And I made a promise to never call any one fat except for myself.
But you were on a flat terrain though, so she got the momentum to keep her going ;D ;D ;D

I have seen a lot of big guys who can drop most avid riders without a sweat but I bet on steep continous climb it will not be the case IMO.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 10:31:22 PM »
Thats some funny stuff. I remember really having to fight this guy that was atleast twice my weight at the squiggy classic this year. The dude sounded like he was going to pass out on his bike. It was one of those cases where he'd come up from behind huffing away, get on your back wheel for a few minutes, and once you started to think "oh well maybe I'm not goina have to do CPR on this guy" he would take off just huffing away.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 11:33:24 AM »
That is funny!!  I think you should let everyone know that you also own a Volvo station wagon.  Just rubbing a little salt in the wound! ;D ;D  How's the window on the truck?
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 11:55:20 AM »
That is funny!!  I think you should let everyone know that you also own a Volvo station wagon.  Just rubbing a little salt in the wound! ;D ;D  How's the window on the truck?

Bastard!   ;D;D;D the wagon is for my wife. But thanks for getting that bit of info out there. While your at it why don't you tell everyone I was at a baby shower yesterday. That was worse than getting passed by Heavy Lunch.
The window of my truck is still broken. I haven't had time to have it fixed. I've only driven it once since it you guys broke it. It looks cool with a garbage bag over it.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »

Bastard!   ;D;D;D the wagon is for my wife. But thanks for getting that bit of info out there. While your at it why don't you tell everyone I was at a baby shower yesterday. That was worse than getting passed by Heavy Lunch.
The window of my truck is still broken. I haven't had time to have it fixed. I've only driven it once since it you guys broke it. It looks cool with a garbage bag over it.

Actually Gregg started it :P :P :P :P

So what was the broken window all about? :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »
It all started with the door of his truck shutting with the keys inside.  Somehow the door was locked.  He didn't want to miss the ride so he broke one of the windows out.  Also very funny!  Baby shower, oh my! :o

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »

"since you guys broke it" Wait a damned minute Volvo boy! :o  Who was it that said "I would rather break my window, then miss my ride"? Jim, Jonathon, me, no.......YOU!  I just happend to have my hands on it last. You were the first one to throw a rock at your window.  :P :P :P

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:48:07 PM by Gregg »

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »

"since you guys broke it" Wait a damned minute Volvo boy! :o  Who was it that said "I would rather break my window, then miss my ride"? Jim, Jonathon, me, no.......YOU!  I just happend to have my hands on it last. You were the first one to throw a rock at your window.  :P :P :P

Jay, this gotta be the top of the list on
"You don't want to miss the ride so you did what?"
 ;D

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »
I think Jay deserves some kind of prize for being at the top of the list.  Ooh, I know, a new window for the Blazer!!! :D :D

Advertisement: