Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How wide are your bars?  (Read 4411 times)

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
How wide are your bars?
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:26:35 AM »
I moved from a 4 inch race bike to a 5 inch trail bike and am at 25.75 width rather than the 24.5 I was at before.  The stability is great and I feel more in control in most situations except fast turns in tight trees (love them on moonscape, hate them in quadrants, mixed bag on abyss).  Head tube angle went from 70.5 to 69 which I am sure also makes a big difference.  The whole bike feels larger which I like. Bottom line, I am tempted to cut them down a bit more but don't want to lose the solid "big bike" feel.  Your thoughts?

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: How wide are your bars?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 06:50:56 AM »
I personally like wider bars - I run an Easton Monkey Lite on XC bike with a 25.4" width and a Titec El Norte on my FR/DH bike at a width of 27.6" and generally prefer the feel of the wider bar.  It is sometimes a little difficult to get through some sections with the wider bar, but generally it is do-able with some finesse but the added stability and comfort is what wins me over.  I'm thinking of going wider on my XC bike when I replace the bar later this year.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 07:35:29 AM »
Mine are around 24-24.5 on both my Rush and my SS. Best compromise for me for going downhill but still getting through the tighter trees.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »
20.5  :-*

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »
Do you guys think the narrow bars make for a noticable difference in how fast you turn the bike or is just about clearance for the trees and such?

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 06:28:42 AM »
Narrower bars really do make a noticeable difference in how twitchy/quick (depending on your point of view) your front steers.  I prefer the wider stance and more stability the bigger bars bring me and I'll just cope with some of the narrower sections.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:46:42 AM »
yes it does make a difference. Also I think it depends on how big a guy or gal you are. I little skinny dude like Steve will feel more comfortable with narrower bars than a fat dude like me. Another reason I cut my bars a little narrower is I ride alot at Carter Rd and used to ride at the TOE alot, there are places you wouldn't get through with wider bars. There are places now at Carter that both sides of the bars will graze the trees.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 08:51:50 AM »
20.5  :-*
Wow.. talk about squeezing the oxygen out of your lungs Steve.   :)  I mean, I am a 'big and fat' guy and I run 23in on my gearie 26er bike.  I had tons of confidence problems in tight areas when I started riding so I went down to 23 and no major problems since.  One year later, I buy a SS29er and I only cut a bit down to 24.5 inches.  I can't belive the difference.  I do feel more stable and easier to pull the bar to turn with the extra 1.5 inch.  I also don't feel as crampped.  I get on my 26er and I feel squeezed and cramped.  The geometry of the bikes are totally different so that has a lot to do with it. 

If you have the "long horns" type of bar and want to get down, cut a little (.25 in) at the time on each side and test it.  the smaller they are, the more force you need to turn but easier to get through tight places at faster speeds.  If you have a SS bike with 29 inch wheels, don't cut too short.  Leave a bit longer for the big wheels.  If you only have one bike or more then one with same lenght on the bars, you get used to it.  Is when you switch from smaller 2 larger often or viceversa that you notice the difference.   8)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:58:44 PM »
First chance I had to check: 24.8

I have little trouble getting throught the tight stuff, and the bike feels really stable to me.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 08:45:21 AM »
25.5 but have been wanting to take another 1/4" off each side.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 05:40:57 PM »
How wide are your bars?

Wide enough to dance on yet narrow enough to fall off!

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Advertisement: