Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: DEAL I HAD TO SHARE  (Read 5073 times)

Offline imckinney001

• First Bike
DEAL I HAD TO SHARE
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
After researching for two weeks LBS and the web and almost getting ripped off by some bike shop in the UK. I found a great deal that I had to share,  '07 Specialized Enduro 1099.00 plus 44.00 shipping, while supplies last, website says 1299.00 but I was informed to my delight that the website wasn't updated.  LBS price was 1899.00, 1799.00, 1754.00

http://bicyclecentreseverett.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1277

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: DEAL I HAD TO SHARE
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:20:31 PM »
After researching for two weeks LBS and the web and almost getting ripped off by some bike shop in the UK. I found a great deal that I had to share,  '07 Specialized Enduro 1099.00 plus 44.00 shipping, while supplies last, website says 1299.00 but I was informed to my delight that the website wasn't updated.  LBS price was 1899.00, 1799.00, 1754.00

http://bicyclecentreseverett.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1277

Specialized doesn't allow their bikes to be sold over the internet.  This place is in Washington State, so even if you can get it, the shipping costs will likely put you at or above LBS prices and no service with the sale.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:25:34 PM »
nobodys service is worth $800.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »
nobodys service is worth $800.

Nope, but I find it hard to buy a "bargain" from so far away. 

Does it fit?  Buy it local and the fit comes with the price. (Standard cost $50+)
Does it work properly and was it put together properly after shipping?  Buy it local and that comes with the price. (Standard cost $50 +)
Did it get damaged in shipping?  Buy it local and they send it back and get a new one for you?
(Or the whole hassled of getting your money back or being stuck with what you got.)
Does it need adjusting and such in the first year?  Buy it local and that comes with the price. (Standard $30-$55 a pop)

Pretty soon shipping cost and incidentals add up.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 07:38:48 PM »
Granted it doesn't really matter to the OP, but the shop shouldn't be selling Specialized (or Giant or Cannondale) through mail-order...if any of those companies found out, they'd probably pull their brand from the store and given how Specialized is, slap them with a lawsuit.

All that said, order it and enjoy the bike...their business practices are none of your concerns.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »

I buy most of my stuff from an LBS in Montana and his bargains are very hard to beat and the more common stuff I get from 1 of 2 shops near me.  I tend to like less main stream stuff so finding an Intense, Ventana, Turner, and Knolly dealer with stuff in-stock (not to mention phenomenal prices) is pretty much impossible in Florida so that is why I use him.  It also doesn't hurt that he's been mountain biking forever and has a wealth of knowledge on pretty much everything that's out doesn't hurt either.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »
All that said, order it and enjoy the bike...their business practices are none of your concerns.

From working in a bike shop there is another perspective.  If you are the type of person who never needs a bike shop; never uses their service, tubes and accessories - then yes, it probably is none of your concern.  But for the rest of the population who takes their bikes in for service, buys their parts and accessories from a local bike shop, then it's nice to have them in business and nearby to get these things from.  Don't use them and they go away.  Got a flat, or busted chain? Wheel needs trued and new spokes?  Walmart aint the answer. Usually if something is too good to be true it is.  Look closely at the fine print - model year, components, condition, etc.

Offline Qfactor

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »

I buy most of my stuff from an LBS in Montana and his bargains are very hard to beat and the more common stuff I get from 1 of 2 shops near me.  I tend to like less main stream stuff so finding an Intense, Ventana, Turner, and Knolly dealer with stuff in-stock (not to mention phenomenal prices) is pretty much impossible in Florida so that is why I use him.  It also doesn't hurt that he's been mountain biking forever and has a wealth of knowledge on pretty much everything that's out doesn't hurt either.

Do I see a Red Barn on yonder horizon? ;D

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »
Do I see a Red Barn on yonder horizon? ;D

Chad rocks...been using him for over 4 years now.  If I can only convince my wife I need a Knolly Endorphin, I'd have a check out to him that day :)

Offline imckinney001

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:34 PM »
You guys are too much :D :D

We all want to see the LBS around to service our weekly or monthly needs; god knows I spend enough money at the one near my house.  But for some of you to state you'd spend the 40 - 50% more that the LBS is charging, just to get maybe 125.00 of free service,  Simply put you don't understand "Free Market Economy" so I've included an overview for you below

True: Specialized doesn't allow their bikes to be sold over the internet. 
True: You can purchase a specialized bike from any BS that list the deal on the Web Page, provided to arrange your own shipping
True: No service with the sale.
False: Shipping costs will likely put you at or above LBS prices
True: DHL and UPS ground will ship a 40 pound bike box from 98203 to 33705 for a little less than 50.00 delivered in 7 days

A free market economy is an economic system in which the production and distribution of goods and services take place through the mechanism of free markets guided by a free price system.  In a free market economy, businesses and consumers decide of their own volition what they will purchase and in which decisions about the allocation of those resources (Money).

Consumer decisions in a free market economy are influenced by the pressures of competition , supply and demand .

........."Buy it local and the fit comes with the price." (Standard cost $50+)
........."Does it work properly and was it put together properly after shipping?"  (Standard cost $50 +)
........."Does it need adjusting and such in the first year?"  (Standard $30-$55 a pop)
........."Saving 50% on a 2400.00 dollar bike from a bike shop 2000 miles away" (Priceless)

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 10:49:01 PM »
Obviously noone has dealt with Bent`s in lakeland,price match and free 1st time service and after discounts

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »
Really?  50% savings?  As if there is that much of a markup on bikes.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 12:21:24 AM »
The mark up is always substantial when it involves luxury items such as $2400 mountain bikes. I worked at a motorcycle accessory buisness, which isn't the same, but a similar industry, and the ave, mark up was around 65% or so...Now, I would imagine, not all bike shops pay the same thing for their inventory..the high volume dealers will get breaks that the smaller shop wont get of course..I'd say weigh the pros and cons and if you don't mind having to maintain it yourself, or paying to have it done, go fer it. It's a good deal..

But like someone else said, if there is a problem, will they A.) stand behind the product, and B.) Make you jump through months of hoops, having to deal with freight claims, and other BS, that may put or keep you off the bike for extended periods of time..

If there is a factory warranty and there is a problem, will the bike shop handle it, or force you to deal directly with Specialized?
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 12:36:02 AM »
The bike in your link is a 2006 model, see the following link to the specialized archive.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2006&spid=21639
Check the color availability and components and you will see, not to mention the frame was completly redesigned for 2007.  Your LBS would not try to pull that over on you.  I helped my girlfriend get a 2007 specialized as the 2008 models were comming out and got a great deal at AJ's. 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 12:47:20 AM »
You guys are too much :D :D

We all want to see the LBS around to service our weekly or monthly needs; god knows I spend enough money at the one near my house.  But for some of you to state you'd spend the 40 - 50% more that the LBS is charging, just to get maybe 125.00 of free service,  Simply put you don't understand "Free Market Economy" so I've included an overview for you below

True: Specialized doesn't allow their bikes to be sold over the internet. 
True: You can purchase a specialized bike from any BS that list the deal on the Web Page, provided to arrange your own shipping
True: No service with the sale.
False: Shipping costs will likely put you at or above LBS prices
True: DHL and UPS ground will ship a 40 pound bike box from 98203 to 33705 for a little less than 50.00 delivered in 7 days

A free market economy is an economic system in which the production and distribution of goods and services take place through the mechanism of free markets guided by a free price system.  In a free market economy, businesses and consumers decide of their own volition what they will purchase and in which decisions about the allocation of those resources (Money).

Consumer decisions in a free market economy are influenced by the pressures of competition , supply and demand .

........."Buy it local and the fit comes with the price." (Standard cost $50+)
........."Does it work properly and was it put together properly after shipping?"  (Standard cost $50 +)
........."Does it need adjusting and such in the first year?"  (Standard $30-$55 a pop)
........."Saving 50% on a 2400.00 dollar bike from a bike shop 2000 miles away" (Priceless)

YOU asked us our opinion in your first post. We did not come find you. ;)

You may have found a great deal. Good for you. If you just wanted praise, then sorry.

While you MIGHT have been trying to be clever, I, and I suspect others find your uneeded lesson in economics a bit condescending. In fact, if you understand the desire to support local businesses and feed your local economy then maybe you might understand why some of the people posting in this thread respond the way they did.

I do agree that service is not worth a 35 to 40 percent premium, but it does have value, and if you ever have an warranty issue, you might have a problem. A local dealer is not as likely to go out on a limb for you, then they might if you were there customer. Not that they shouldn't still offer you respectful and courteous service, but sometime there is financial participation that a dealer may have to share inwith regard to warranty. You could find yourself without wheels for longer than you otherwise might. Is this worth the extra money? Surely it is worth something. If money was the only factor, then you could have gone to Walmart.

I have no problem with mail order items, I buy some myself, but you, being a scholar of the free market economy also should understand that there are many scams out there. Since The most of the manufactures discourage exactly what this bike shop is doing, there are many of us who are sceptical.  You are no doubt familiar with the phrase "Caveat Emptor".

If this is the deal of a lifetime, that is great! I hope that it is. But.....If it is not......It will have been because of your price only attitude. It won't be the manufactures fault. They have tried to protect you, and it won't be the fault of the dealer in Washington, they sold it cheap, and that was all that mattered. :D :D

Advertisement: