SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 11:38:18 AM] KRUNNCHERO: Also does the supposed correct tension.

[Today at 11:38:45 AM] KRUNNCHERO: Fox website - Fox 32 vanilla - 15 QR link

[Today at 11:40:14 AM] mmountainbiker: hmmm

[Today at 11:41:42 AM] mmountainbiker: It tightens the dropout on the axle as opposed to the quick release?

[Today at 11:43:54 AM] KRUNNCHERO: Didn't read much of the description. IMO - it is proprietary crap.

[Today at 11:44:14 AM] KRUNNCHERO: Don't understand why it is so difficult for manufactures to stick with a few sizes.

[Today at 11:44:15 AM] KRUNNCHERO: 20mm

[Today at 11:44:17 AM] KRUNNCHERO: QR

[Today at 11:44:18 AM] KRUNNCHERO: etc

[Today at 11:44:49 AM] mmountainbiker: ok I see

[Today at 11:45:55 AM] mmountainbiker: A true quick release ond you dont have to spin quick release to find sweet spot b4 closing the lever

[Today at 11:46:16 AM] mmountainbiker: I think

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums - Please login and join our community.
Anyone can register here for free and login for access to additional boards and topics.  Look near the top left of this page for the register or login links.  SWAMP mountain bike club members have additional access to trail maps and club business topics.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Wear your helmet!  (Read 3951 times)

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Wear your helmet!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »
Heck!  I have to wear a helmet out to ride, i know I am going to slam my head into that low lying branch on Rollercoaster EVERYTIME!  You know, coming up the backside of the harder route drop, right before the planks.  Every stinkin' time!
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

Anthem1

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 09:55:30 PM »
I know that branch :'(

CrazyWhiteGuy

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 01:10:55 AM »
All I've got to say is that it sucks waking up in a hospital. I know, I've done it...twice(both times I had a helmet on). So needless to say, I almost always wear a helmet.
Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black

Jimbo

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »
I always wear a helmet.  It saved me once out at Carter.  Back when I first started to ride, I smacked my head on a low branch.  I was stupidly looking down that second and not paying attention to what was ahead.  Didn't notice at the time, but that branch cracked my helmet.  After I hit it, I was kinda stunned and just laid off the side of the trail for a minute.  My helmet is like the seatbelt in my truck, I always wear it.  Would feel funny if I didn't.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »
They make these things called hand saws that you can cut unwanted branches down with ;D
Mike Cole

BrokeSpoke

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 09:04:06 PM »
Heck!  I have to wear a helmet out to ride, i know I am going to slam my head into that low lying branch on Rollercoaster EVERYTIME!  You know, coming up the backside of the harder route drop, right before the planks.  Every stinkin' time!

HAHA that is so funny because last time I rode it I hit my head there for the first time, I never noticed it before so it really surprised me. I hit it pretty hard, it gave me a head ache

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 09:30:15 PM »
They make these things called hand saws that you can cut unwanted branches down with ;D
I would never consider altering ANY trail w/out permission.  I'm sure that sounds weak, but I figure if I cut one branch, and the next guy cuts one thing out he doesn't like, then everyone does, what then.  I'll wait until I do another trail maintenance day and suggest it to Art.
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

SandPine

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 10:38:27 PM »
...I'll wait until I do another trail maintenance day and suggest it to Art.
I wouldn't even do that.  He will tell you that is a black dimond trail and that branch makes the trail what it is.  We all read about how he was really pissed when someone moved that rock on rollercoaster a few inches.  You know which rock I am talking about if you ride rollercoaster.  The one next to a root that gives you about 6-8 inches of clearance next to a brush with a low laying branch.  Yes, that one!  I think he came on here once and said that if anyone removes anything off that trail again, he will replace it with two more hard/technical obstacles.  He was partially kidding but you can understand those technical/obstacles on the trail make that trail.  Leave them and let's learn how to ride safely on them. 

Ken

• Swampster
  • SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 11:13:57 PM »
Very well put Sandpine!!! :) That is what makes our trails what they are. Leave the trail maintinence to the ones who design them and know how. I wouldn't think about altering a trail, let alone someone elses efforts after taking hours in learning how to build them correctly! If you can't miss that branch or rock, take the time to learn how and practice. Don't cheat and move it out of the way or cut it back!  ???
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

noble

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 12:02:55 AM »
Face slappers/head crackers don't need to be there to make a trail challenging--not in my book anyway.[It's a short book and I have lost a lot of my pages but I don't ever remember ducking as being a challenge-even on a bike :D]
Mike Cole

JasonD

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • I like to bike!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 06:14:25 AM »
At 6'5" I have gotten wedged under that branch with a full camel back! Does that make it a triple black diamond for taller riders?  ;D
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 07:01:50 AM »
At 6'5" I have gotten wedged under that branch with a full camel back! Does that make it a triple black diamond for taller riders?  ;D

No, it makes it aggravating and less of a fun trail experience for taller riders.  Nothing like ramping along and jamming down your neck from a tree branch.  ???

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
but that branch cracked my helmet.  After I hit it, I was kinda stunned and just laid off the side of the trail for a minute.  My helmet is like the seatbelt in my truck, I always wear it.  Would feel funny if I didn't.

This exactly why I don't believe in precarious low hanging branches on even Double Black Diamond trails. The trail features below your tires are what make it a difficult trail. not a sport ending injury from a low branch.  Neck muscles are some of the weakest in the body and spinal nerves are really delicate.

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 08:04:52 AM »
hmm, well I don't believe in low branches either. I don't believe in dumbing down a trail either, and that is exactly why that rock on Rollercoaster got moved. But I wouldn't cut either of those big trees on Rollercoaster at Alafia either, how hard is to duck under them?
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 08:57:35 AM »
I'm not into dumbing down trails either.  Bikes are meant to roll over stuff.  The whole branch thing is a different matter in my view and things I have learned and read about in trail building.  You can have a very difficult trail without taking your head off.  Might sound a bit harsh there, but it's just a safe way to make a trail with so many users on it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 17 queries.