Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Shopping for fork and I have a question  (Read 6722 times)

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Shopping for fork and I have a question
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »
I have been shopping around for a while for a nice light XC fork and I have narrowed it down to three: Manitou R7, Rockshox recon race and the reba race. I really like the reba for adjustably and weight but I don't understand what the " Maxle 360 20mm" is. does this mean is does not work with the standard quick release wheels? what would I need to do to accommodate this fork? the bike is a 05' Kona cinder cone which I love to death. 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Shopping for fork and I have a question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:19:33 PM »
That "maxle 360 20mm" is really a freeride or downhill item. If you are look for as you said " a nice light XC fork"  it is really overkill.

I too am riding a Hardtail Kona, I have been riding with a Reba Race for about 2 years, It has been a great performer and it really lightened up the front. Something to think about, I am running it set up at 115 mm. I didn't think it would make as much of a difference as it did. The ride is more plush and it responds great!

Anthem1

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:56:57 PM »
Get the Reba, I have one on my Trance and it is infinitly tuneable :)

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »
it might sound dumb but from the way it sounded to me was the 20mm axle was a different type of mounting system other then the quick release and it would not work with my wheels, I'm still new to the understanding of what parts are compatible with what. if this is not the case then I think we have a winner.( the  Marzocchi that came with the bike is a freak'n pogo stick !)   thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:05:33 PM by Tbalestrini »

Anthem1

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »
The 20mm is a bolt on, the Reba also comes in a standard 100mm quick release.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:05:11 PM »
The Maxel is for larger front axle systems and would require you to have a different front wheel hub.  The reba is a good fork but you should also consider a Fox F series or float in a 100mm  or 120mm with 32mm sanctions.  Fox costs a bit more in some cases but is very light and durable. I have 3 of them on various bikes and have never had any problems.   Stay away from Rockshox dart and tora models as they are more entry level models.  Manitou makes a black model that is a reasonable option and is often available on clearance sales. One thing to consider is the travel of the current shock versus the new one.  Longer travel will get you over the tough stuff in good order, but the increase in front end height may slow your steering response.  If you ride an 80mm fork now, go no larger than 100mm, if you are @100mm, go no larger than 120.  Drasticly increasing your fork length will also increase stress on the frame.  Also make sure the head diameter matches the fork.  Any good bike shop will steer you in the right direction,  proper installation will ensure a good fit to your riding position and safety.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:30:35 PM »
Fox, that was another fork I was looking at. my fork now is a 100mm and I would like to pretty much stay with that to keep the geometry happy. I was not aware that the float came in a 100mm option.  I really do like the F series but they are a tad pricey.
I never looked at the dart and tora models simply because they are entry level forks like you said and not to far from what I have now. I want an upgrade not a side grade  :)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »
The Maxel is for larger front axle systems and would require you to have a different front wheel hub.  The reba is a good fork but you should also consider a Fox F series or float in a 100mm  or 120mm with 32mm sanctions.  Fox costs a bit more in some cases but is very light and durable. I have 3 of them on various bikes and have never had any problems.   Stay away from Rockshox dart and tora models as they are more entry level models.  Manitou makes a black model that is a reasonable option and is often available on clearance sales. One thing to consider is the travel of the current shock versus the new one.  Longer travel will get you over the tough stuff in good order, but the increase in front end height may slow your steering response.  If you ride an 80mm fork now, go no larger than 100mm, if you are @100mm, go no larger than 120.  Drasticly increasing your fork length will also increase stress on the frame.  Also make sure the head diameter matches the fork.  Any good bike shop will steer you in the right direction,  proper installation will ensure a good fit to your riding position and safety.

Absolutely true, the increase of 15 mm in travel did have an affect on the handling of my bike, but since our frames use similar geometry I can tell you that it did change the steering response. It was actually for the better. It still is very quick handling, but has a bit more stability. The great thing about the Reba, is you don't have to change it to 115 mm, you can leave it at 100 mm. The Reba also has 32 mm sanctions, it is one of the reasons that it is such durable fork.
Don't get me wrong the Fox is a kick butt fork, but dollar for dollar you will get more for your money with the Reba.

I borrowed a Manitou Black when I had my Reba rebuilt, and I can tell you that I could feel the flex in the fork. That doesn't make it a bad fork, it is just not as stout as either the Fox or the Reba.

The truth is any of these forks are good. You just need to evaluate your budget, and determine what you will be using the bike for. Good luck, and we will see you out on the trails.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »
Both of these forks (f100 and reba) are available in at least 3 models.  Apples to apples I would put the reba race up to the f100 rl.  Fox is lighter and probably more durable, more sex apeal as well.  Reba is about $75 cheaper and the option to go to 115mm is nice but will require some work.  Reba also available in a U-turn self adjust from 85mm to 115mm at a higher price.  The good news is you win either way!  Call our local shops and you may even find an 07 model in need of a good frame at a better deal.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 10:05:49 AM »
As I understand it, the r7 is the lightest of the bunch and the 08s are supposed to be very nice. That being said, the reba is very nice and can be brought up to 120mm(i think) which I do with my fork on my kona. Either way, I would recommend you get one with travel adjustments so you can really dial it in.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
That "maxle 360 20mm" is really a freeride or downhill item. If you are look for as you said " a nice light XC fork"  it is really overkill.

I would have agreed with you several years ago, but today's systems, particularly Rock Shox's Maxle, are so good that I'd take the minor weight penalty for the added stiffness and steering precision.  I believe for next year, Fox is introducing a new 15mm quick-release through axle for their smaller forks (i.e. not the 36 or 40) which will be nice for giving trail riders more options for through-axle forks. 
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 01:32:49 PM »

I would have agreed with you several years ago, but today's systems, particularly Rock Shox's Maxle, are so good that I'd take the minor weight penalty for the added stiffness and steering precision.  I believe for next year, Fox is introducing a new 15mm quick-release through axle for their smaller forks (i.e. not the 36 or 40) which will be nice for giving trail riders more options for through-axle forks. 

Fair enough, I know you have more experience with them than I do. I took that info from the Rock Shox website.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »
I had a traditional through-axle setup on my old fork (Marzocchi 66) and it was an involving process to take the wheel off - first you needed to have 2 allen key sets, you use a smaller key to loosen up 4 pinch bolts (2 on each leg), then you inserted one key into one end of the axle and one key into the other side of the axle and unscrewed it until the end cap came off and then you worked the axle back out by spinning the key and pulling out.  The new maxle is pretty much the same as as a quick release - you undo the quick release, use the quick release lever to unscrew it from the drop out, and then it pops out.  It takes about the same amount of time as a regular quick release.  It is a really amazing system.  As cool as it is, I think I'd still go for a traditional pinch bolt, allen key setup if I was building up dedicated downhill bike as I think that setup is a bit stronger than the quick release through-axle setup.

Whenever I get around to building up a new xc/trail bike, I'll step up to a Maxle or Maxle-like setup as I'm that convinced about the benefits.  Now all I need to do is convince my wife that really need a new bike... :)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:32 PM »
maybe you should hold off on getting a Reba,
http://bikemag.com/news/freshproduce/SRAM_reba_otter_preview/
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. it will still be alittle while before I purchase a fork because of other equipment I need first. The Reba seems like the winner but im interested to see this new fork.

Advertisement: