SWAMP Community Forums
June 14, 2008, 06:13:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Alafia Trail Map available to SWAMPers!
The April 2008 trail map, which includes North Creek phase 4, is available in the Trail Map section.  You must be a SWAMP Club Member to view these additional boards.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: toinght's morris bridge ride?  (Read 343 times)
mpopetz
First Bike

« on: April 08, 2008, 12:38:32 PM »

Heya,
Couple of questions:

Is tonight's morris bridge ride canceled due to soggy trails?

and  if not:
It says "unguided"...will there be an uber casual category because I want to bring my dad and he's only ridden offroad once but I don't know the trails to guide him myself...

-mp
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »

There are plenty of trails high and dry for tonight's ride. Get there early enough and talk to the groups by the hole, someone will be riding your pace Smiley
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 10:46:32 PM »

Mpopetz,
Was that you that was asking for Marty at the ride?  If so, how did it go?

mpopetz
First Bike

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »

Yep...that was me.  It went great, my dad did better than I could have believed.  Turns out he's been pedaling an old schwinn mtb (the one I was riding) around the roads here 2-3 hours a week so he was in decent shape and he loved it.

Kept up with marty's group without a problem and is itchin for more.  Another convert.  Smiley

-mp
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 09:40:13 AM »

Good to hear it.  I was the one asking you if you had water with you and told you about the water stop at the Y.  Glad you both had fun.  Make sure you visit a local lbs and invest on a 70-100oz camelbak.  Water battles only carry about 24 oz.  May be okay for Flatwoods if you know where the water stop are.  But we don't have those at other parks.  You'll need more water now that summer is coming up fast on us.  See you on the trails.

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 10:00:19 AM »

water?  i am going to try that next time i ride...i actually went to the Y with my bottle empty - that is what i get for running late to the ride

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 10:06:30 AM »

water?  i am going to try that next time i ride...i actually went to the Y with my bottle empty - that is what i get for running late to the ride
I thought you were kidding until we got to the Y and I see you filling up your empty bottle.   Shocked  Grin

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ssrigid29er26er

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 10:19:50 AM »

Yep...that was me.  It went great, my dad did better than I could have believed.  Turns out he's been pedaling an old schwinn mtb (the one I was riding) around the roads here 2-3 hours a week so he was in decent shape and he loved it.

Kept up with marty's group without a problem and is itchin for more.  Another convert.  Smiley

-mp
Don't forget to ride Alafia way different from MORE's maintained trail IMO. Tight and techincal with steep but short climbs not too rocky like Fredrick's Gambrill but rooty similar to Patapsco.

29, rigid and single
mpopetz
First Bike

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 10:23:54 AM »

Don't forget to ride Alafia way different from MORE's maintained trail IMO. Tight and techincal with steep but short climbs not too rocky like Fredrick's Gambrill but rooty similar to Patapsco.

Ahhh...a man what speaks my language.  I was planning on hitting the organized ride there next weekend...I've been warned not to miss Alafia upon threat of beatings by my friends up in DC.  I won't be taking my dad on that one though.  Smiley

-mp
treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ssrigid29er26er

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »

Ahhh...a man what speaks my language.  I was planning on hitting the organized ride there next weekend...I've been warned not to miss Alafia upon threat of beatings by my friends up in DC.  I won't be taking my dad on that one though.  Smiley

-mp

The main difference, other than we don't have mountains, Alafia has a lot of steep drops and equally steep quick climbs on the other side. You can experience a good amount of g-gorce with enough speed or you will have to grunt the climb on the short steep climbs. I don't think we have this kind of sections in Maryland or Virginny.

Santos http://omba.org/index.php/Maps.html is a great trail system too. Similar to Schaeffer Farm without the long powerline  climb but with a lot of fast single track, rocks and logs too (but there a lot of ramp fairies here so its pretty doable).

Morisson

29, rigid and single
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: