SWAMP Community Forums
June 17, 2008, 09:28:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thank You for participating in our Forums!  You add character to our site!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boyette night rides cancelled indefinatly  (Read 605 times)
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« on: April 08, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »

Sorry to report this folks, but Hillsborough County Parks and Recreation Departments attorney has cancelled any further Boyette Night Rides as they don't feel in an emergency that EMS can get out there and find anyone in the dark. 

Hang tight - we are working on this problem.  Meanwhile, until it is resolved there will be no more night rides at Boyette.
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »

Don't forget you will have an opportunity to turn those lights on at Flatwoods on April 24th!

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »

that totally sucks - i need to ride at night over hills,drops and climbs before the 24 hour race at conyers - GRRRRRRRR

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:12:26 PM »

that totally sucks - i need to ride at night over hills,drops and climbs before the 24 hour race at conyers - GRRRRRRRR

It doesn't stop there.  This Saturday is the last workday that we are allowed to have vehicles on the property to get volunteers to the trails that need working.  County attorney's think it is too much liability to have trucks or cars on the property.  That means how do we get tools out there to build the new trails?  Working on this one every day.  Such a challenge to convince attorney's that we have a clean trail work record of 14 years.
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:29:19 AM »

It doesn't stop there.  This Saturday is the last workday that we are allowed to have vehicles on the property to get volunteers to the trails that need working.  County attorney's think it is too much liability to have trucks or cars on the property.  That means how do we get tools out there to build the new trails?  Working on this one every day.  Such a challenge to convince attorney's that we have a clean trail work record of 14 years.

Because of this present issue it would be nice to have a large volunteer crew to trim back the trails as we are starting the growing season.  Any takers?
Stumpjumper
Ride Guide
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 07:37:33 AM »

It seems like the county attorney wants to close Boyette.  F*#^$G attorneys.

What was I THINKING !!!!!!
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 09:18:21 AM »

Such a challenge to convince attorney's that we have a clean trail work record of 14 years.
Garry, Thanks for heading these issues at Boyette.  The property manager or the people living there have a gator/golf cart.  Could we use that instead?  How about we pay a county truck/manager on saturdays to come on his truck and take our tools while we all ride our bikes to work.  With the road bypass to 39 plans returning on the country board they may really wants us out.  If you all didn't see it before, is a planned road right through the the middle of Boyette (or close to it) over to 39.

But anyways, on the EMS thing, there was a 911 operator on here asking if we had GPS maps of the place.  Could we arrange for a meeting betwen county, EMS and SWAMP board to go over these?  I have all the trails mapped with my GPS and could easily create a gps coordinates for all the trails and the way into the those trails over an arial overview map.  It would just take some time to create this with google and SWAMP board approval.   I had post some of these on here before but took them down for fund raising activities instead.  Let me know.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:25:11 AM by SandPine » Logged

SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 09:33:44 AM »

...With the road bypass to 39 plans returning on the country board they may really wants us out.  If you all didn't see it before, is a planned road right through the the middle of Boyette (or close to it) over to 39....
Here's what I am talking about.  It was shutdown last year but it is back and and it will keep coming back until it passes.  If so, Boyette MTB trails can be affected by this.  http://southshore2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr/05/ss-bypass-route-pops-up-again/?news

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ssrigid29er26er

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »

It seems like the county attorney wants to close Boyette.  F*#^$G attorneys.

The freakin attorney just wants to cover the county's butt from sue happy fools and at the same time climbing up the "corporate ladder".

Bummer!

...With the road bypass to 39 plans returning on the country board they may really wants us out.  If you all didn't see it before, is a planned road right through the the middle of Boyette (or close to it) over to 39....
Here's what I am talking about.  It was shutdown last year but it is back and and it will keep coming back until it passes.  If so, Boyette MTB trails can be affected by this.  http://southshore2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr/05/ss-bypass-route-pops-up-again/?news

Double Bummer!!

29, rigid and single
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »

For a tripple bummer...  Don't quote me on this since I am not sure.  But based on my "eyeballing studies" side by side comparison of the County's Transportation plan, with my gps mapped Boyette trails, and Google Earth/Maps, I can see that the current planned Bradenton to East Hillsborough bypass PLANNED route will split up Boyette. Maybe erasing our trails forever.  That bypass would go along the old line of tracks that was there.  That splits Gator Pit, Golf Cart, North and South Abyss away from the rest of the park.  I am sure others would be affected.  Hmmm...   Again, do NOT quote me on this.  See for yourself... clicky on the picture below and go to link on my previous post.

Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »

dang sandpine, I hope that falls apart. we can all tie ourselves to some trees if the bulldozers start showing up...

If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »

Kinda like the movie "Hoot"!

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »

Such a challenge to convince attorney's that we have a clean trail work record of 14 years.
Garry, Thanks for heading these issues at Boyette.  The property manager or the people living there have a gator/golf cart.  Could we use that instead?  How about we pay a county truck/manager on saturdays to come on his truck and take our tools while we all ride our bikes to work.  With the road bypass to 39 plans returning on the country board they may really wants us out.  If you all didn't see it before, is a planned road right through the the middle of Boyette (or close to it) over to 39.

But anyways, on the EMS thing, there was a 911 operator on here asking if we had GPS maps of the place.  Could we arrange for a meeting betwen county, EMS and SWAMP board to go over these?  I have all the trails mapped with my GPS and could easily create a gps coordinates for all the trails and the way into the those trails over an arial overview map.  It would just take some time to create this with google and SWAMP board approval.   I had post some of these on here before but took them down for fund raising activities instead.  Let me know.

I have suggested in the past, and as recent as last week, that we orientate EMS and Parks Department to our trails and bailout points where EMS could pick up injured riders.  I am told that EMS knows how to get onto to the property and can get out using the fire roads.  I'm not convinced they can find their way through the place even with a map since they have canceled all night rides because "it would be impossible for EMS to find their way in the dark."  Like any one of the 20 or so riders at a night ride would not lend a hand to help them find their way!!
Waiting to hear back - I don't know when the meeting is supposed to happen for them and the County Attorney.  I'll keep ya'll posted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: