Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: When to use the "Lock Out" feature on fork  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
When to use the "Lock Out" feature on fork
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
So I got a new Rock Shox Dart 3 fork last month and I installed it Ok. rides great so far and I think I got it dailed in good for my fat butt. Yes I am still a newbie so here is my question:  I have the POPLOC remote lock-out feature that I installed and wonder when is the best time to use this feature? longer climbs or any type of climb?

Thanks

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Re: When to use the "Lock Out" feature on fork
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:49:19 PM »
If you need out of the saddle power and don't want the fork to compress as you pump the cranks, lock it out.  However, if you don't notice a problem at this point, don't use it.  Experiment with it, when it's safe.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:41:37 PM »
here is a little tweak that a lot of the pros use and I love it - lock your fork out and set the blow-off to engage when you hit roots/rocks - this is really nice in the G-outs and climbs and you don't get any energy loss when you stand up to pedal by some energy getting used up in the fork compressing.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:53:07 PM »
so like on North Creek I should keep it locked out and set to blow-off on rocks and roots? sounds good I'll try that.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
so like on North Creek I should keep it locked out and set to blow-off on rocks and roots? sounds good I'll try that.

i leave mine locked out 100% of the time and use the blow off control to engage the fork - it is like pro pedal for your fork

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:01:55 PM »
Good info Factor, never heard that before.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:28:21 AM »
The lockout feature is designed for racers during intense climbs over longer distances, also nice if you have a long streach on the road.  If you have a blowoff setting, you can achieve a little extra efficiency at the expense of small bump compliance.  I have talked to fox about using the lockout and blowoff in this mannor and they warned that it was not the intension of these features to be used on a continous basis.  It is more for situations when one may forget to disenguage the lockout going into a downhill, or on smooth terrain with occasional bumps.  A good example of a place in our area to use this feature is the 2 mile streach starting and ending Boyette, like the sprint to finish the club ride.  Some poplocks also feature a dampening adjustment (blue knob) which would be helpfull when dialing it in on new trails.  Work on getting the air pressure and rebound settings to your liking before experimention with the lockout blowoff combo.

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:21:24 AM »
I don't have remote lock out capability, but I have reached down and manually locked the front fork a few times to see if it makes any difference. I have 100mm of travel on my hardtail, and I haven't really noticed any big difference. For the record, I can only remember trying this at Wilderness at various spots - nowhere with significant climbs. The biggest issue I have is that I forget to unlock the fork. I did this last sunday and rode Coconut Grove rigid - something didn't feel right, and it wasn't until I got back to the truck that I noticed that my fork was still locked!  :P
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 06:45:11 AM »
The lockout feature is designed for racers during intense climbs over longer distances, also nice if you have a long streach on the road.  If you have a blowoff setting, you can achieve a little extra efficiency at the expense of small bump compliance.  I have talked to fox about using the lockout and blowoff in this mannor and they warned that it was not the intension of these features to be used on a continous basis.  It is more for situations when one may forget to disenguage the lockout going into a downhill, or on smooth terrain with occasional bumps.  A good example of a place in our area to use this feature is the 2 mile streach starting and ending Boyette, like the sprint to finish the club ride.  Some poplocks also feature a dampening adjustment (blue knob) which would be helpfull when dialing it in on new trails.  Work on getting the air pressure and rebound settings to your liking before experimention with the lockout blowoff combo.

bike is also way more stable during the g-outs using the method i mentioned above - (bridges whoops and north and south abyss) 

when I ride through heartbreak ridge or panther or super rooty sections I dis engage the lockout and get a more supple ride....it is a matter of feel - I like my bike to be more efficient during climbs and more stable during fast g-outs so I use the fork in the method I above mentioned.

I am using a fox float 32 RLC - some forks may behave differently

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 06:49:04 AM »
from dirt rag magazine

"Adjustments on the F29 are much like those on the 26" RLC model. One adjustment I like is the lockout force adjustment. It allows you to leave the lockout on, yet the fork still remains ready to absorb a bump of a size predetermined by the adjustment when it comes along. This gives you the best of both worlds, adjustable lockout with bump absorption when you need it."

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 06:51:19 AM »
this is straight off Fox's website

"A convenient tuning feature of the lockout force knob is that it allows you to leave your fork in the locked out position—no more fiddling with fork controls when the trail requires your undivided attention. Although you might need to adjust the knob a few times to find the sweet spot, once it is found you can simply leave your fork locked out. Your fork will then respond to hits in the trail (greater lockout force), for example, but will be locked out (lower lockout force) when you are out of your saddle on a climb."

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 07:44:25 AM »
If you are having problems with the g-outs on whoops, you most likely have your rebound set a tad too quick for the situation.  I like my suspension active all the time so other than some longsmooth climb out of state (like going up Clawhammer Mountain in Pisgah), I don't bother with the lock-out.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 09:52:59 AM »
...I haven't really noticed any big difference. ... something didn't feel right, and it wasn't until I got back to the truck that I noticed that my fork was still locked!  :P
You answered your own question.  You forgot and leave it in lockout and you DO notice a difference.   ;D  I only lock out mine on the SS when doing the long climbs at Croom.  Don't even bother with it at WTA.  I've slow it down at places at Boyette and Alafia but with no remote lockout I just find a setting I like and forget about it.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 09:58:21 AM »
i guess it is all a personal choice - i personally like to set it and forget it - try some different things and see what works for you

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 01:32:16 PM »
i guess it is all a personal choice - i personally like to set it and forget it - try some different things and see what works for you
Very true..everyone likes differently things especially when it comes to suspension action.  I like my stuff pretty compliant, soft while some of my friends prefer things less compliant/snappier.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: