SWAMP Community Forums
June 17, 2008, 01:46:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Boyette Scrub Trail Map available to SWAMP Mountain Bike Club members.  Check the Trail Maps section.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: night rides w/lights  (Read 516 times)
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« on: April 10, 2008, 10:31:56 AM »

other than the new morris bridge night ride - are there any other local places that we can ride at night?  I need to do a few more before an up-coming race

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
Jimbo
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:08:31 AM »

You can night ride at Santos.  I know that's not super local, but it's great at night.  We did a couple of night rides to prep for the 13 Hours of Santos last year.

It's not just fun, it's an addiction!
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:35:04 AM »

we need to make arrangements to do that real soon then

Jimbo
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:13:26 PM »

I just have to get a light.  I was using a borrowed one then and I never got one of my own.

SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »

You can night ride at Santos.  I know that's not super local, but it's great at night.  We did a couple of night rides to prep for the 13 Hours of Santos last year.
Double check on that.  That was my understanding too.  But someone from OMBA at the FTF told me that the Ranger won't let you if they see you at the TH.  They don't close the parking lot but they may not let you ride.  That is what I was told and I didn't verify it.  I don't see how they could stop you if you park somewhere else though.  I dunno... Just don't want you to get arrested.  Check that first...

I do know you can ride at Croom.  I belive Wilcox and Dave may be riding there regularly. 

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »

my main thing is riding over elevation changes where i have to look up climbs and down drops before I have to do it in the race - allthough i think the conyers course is fairly tame...from what i hear

anybody know anything on that?

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ssrigid29er26er

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:52:52 PM »

my main thing is riding over elevation changes where i have to look up climbs and down drops before I have to do it in the race - allthough i think the conyers course is fairly tame...from what i hear

anybody know anything on that?
What da ya mean elevation changes? this Florida man Tongue Tongue Tongue

Seriously I don't know what Conyers looks like but they did post topo map. You guys might need to go up there and ride at least two nights to be able to get acquinted with the trail system and get used to reading obstacle shadows.
Or you can always ride really slow just to safely finish 24 hours.

Morisson

29, rigid and single
Jimbo
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:57:29 PM »

Double check on that.  That was my understanding too.  But someone from OMBA at the FTF told me that the Ranger won't let you if they see you at the TH.  They don't close the parking lot but they may not let you ride.  That is what I was told and I didn't verify it.  I don't see how they could stop you if you park somewhere else though.  I dunno... Just don't want you to get arrested.  Check that first...

I do know you can ride at Croom.  I belive Wilcox and Dave may be riding there regularly. 

We were over there in late August last year at about 8 one evening.  A Marion County deputy was even watching us gear our lights up and didn't say anything.  They might have changed the rules since then...not sure though.  I know there is definitely an area that lights are not allowed.  On the far side of Dogbone where Twister ends because a neighborhood borders close to that side.

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 09:49:08 PM »

How about Carter? I used to go there after Alafia and get in a quick night ride.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 08:31:14 AM »

.. allthough i think the conyers course is fairly tame...from what i hear anybody know anything on that?
Jonathen, before you do the race you need to watch the movie "24 Solo" with Chris Eatough.   Talk about grown man crying in pain after a 24 hrs solo ride.  I know you not doing it solo.. LOL.. but this will show you some preparation stuff, how the course was laid out and even show you the terrain in detail.  "Short steep hills" is how Chris describes the course.  Can't be more elevation then Dauset since they are within 20-30 miiles of each other.  Most single track I saw on the movie was faily packed with little roots.  There are scenes that show you roots and rocks.  Tons of rock.  Even pieces of trail over bed rocks.  But that may be small sections.  Check out the movie seriously. 

If you can't get a hold of it Bob has a copy.  Or you can find piece of it on YouTube.  Actually, I just found one.  Here is a link to it: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CSsPIBWghfE&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CSsPIBWghfE&rel=0</a>  If I figure out how to post the video here directly I will shortly.

SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 08:58:14 AM »

I can't link that first video since it is protected to prevent embed from other sites.  But click on this URL to see it:  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CSsPIBWghfE&rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CSsPIBWghfE&rel=0</a>

This is the trailer that shows you the kind of PAIN they go through.  It has sections from the 24 hrs solo movie in Conyers, China, and others.  It also shows you the type of single track at that venue.  Gary Fisher will be there again this year so say hi to him.

This one from the average joe:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:07:50 AM by SandPine » Logged

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »

thanks for that man

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: