SWAMP Community Forums
April 23, 2008, 12:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remember to login to view all of the boards and topics available to you.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 Hours of Conyers  (Read 414 times)
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« on: April 11, 2008, 11:19:45 AM »

Ok, as many of you know, Factoreeee and I, along with an old friend of mine from way back are planning to ride in the 24 hours of Conyers race.

It is going to be a pretty significant challenge. While my fitness has improved dramatically, I am not a racer so any advice for preparation would be appreciated.

Here is what I have been doing:

Riding: 3-4 days a week, priimarily (90%+) on the mountain bike, somewhere between 80-100 miles.
Days not riding: 3-4 days at the gym, minimum of 1 hour 30 minutes on the Eliptical cycle. So I am pedaling everyday. Light circuit training focusing on upper body and core, every other other visit to the gym. Also doing 200 crunches every other day.

Diet: Nothing crazy, I am eating a balanced diet, low in saturated fat. No junk food, or fast food. Lots of lean meats (chicken mostly). A good size salad with lunch and dinner, with the dressing carefully measured. Lots of apples.

This has yielded me exceptional results to this point, but with this race about 5 weeks away.......Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gregg     

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »

the thought of the pain this is going to cause my mind and body makes me consider giving you a smite  Shocked

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ss29erposer whoneedsknees nostandingup

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »

I think the mental part will be the most difficult part. IMO

Damn, tough guys.

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous

http://treadlight-mtb.blogspot.com/
http://pinoymtbiker.proboards7.com/index.cgi
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 12:34:53 PM »

I think the mental part will be the most difficult part. IMO

Damn, tough guys.

I agree - the 6 hour solo in dauset became more mental than physical - I couldn't bring myself to start the last lap....My mind kept justifying reasons why it was ok to sit there and not go out again

BillT
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »

Good luck out there!  I had some friends do that a couple of years ago and they had fun.  They said some of the climbs were tough and corresponding descents were a little scary in the dark.

Have you had a chance to get up there and test ride Conyers yet?
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »

Good luck out there!  I had some friends do that a couple of years ago and they had fun.  They said some of the climbs were tough and corresponding descents were a little scary in the dark.

Have you had a chance to get up there and test ride Conyers yet?

test ride?  who us...we don't wear panties.....j/k

The closest I have ridden to conyers is dauset trails in Jackson GA

I am not trying to win anything so I am thinking that I might be creeping on the spooky decents at night

Jimbo
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 11:30:19 PM »

I agree with Morisson on the mental aspect.  The last lap I did at Dauset last year was extremely challenging!!  I was fighting between my mind and/or legs wanting to quit on me.  Once I got closer to the end, adrenaline took over.  The last couple of miles were a blur.  All I can say is stay positive.  Your mind is your toughest competitor.  Good luck!!

It's not just fun, it's an addiction!
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:03:21 AM »

I agree with Morisson on the mental aspect.  The last lap I did at Dauset last year was extremely challenging!!  I was fighting between my mind and/or legs wanting to quit on me.  Once I got closer to the end, adrenaline took over.  The last couple of miles were a blur.  All I can say is stay positive.  Your mind is your toughest competitor.  Good luck!!
Get your mental game for sure.  Jimbo was my motivation to do that last lap at Dauset too.  He waited for me so we could start the last lap together.  He seem to have a faster speed so he got ahead right after the start.  I kept pedaling in hopes I would keep him in eye distance.  I would get a few glimpses of him here and there.  I knew he was hurting as much as was so I kept pedaling.  Never caught up to him but that was my mental motivation for that lap.  Oh, that and the budlight beers waiting for me in me cooler... of which Beercan made fun of (girly beer) but they sure taste nice...

BillT
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »

A little over a month away until your big race...good luck!  One day I may get back into doing some endurance events - I just need to wait until my wife is done with school and my kids are a little older.
Jimbo
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »

Get your mental game for sure.  Jimbo was my motivation to do that last lap at Dauset too.  He waited for me so we could start the last lap together.  He seem to have a faster speed so he got ahead right after the start.  I kept pedaling in hopes I would keep him in eye distance.  I would get a few glimpses of him here and there.  I knew he was hurting as much as was so I kept pedaling.  Never caught up to him but that was my mental motivation for that lap.  Oh, that and the budlight beers waiting for me in me cooler... of which Beercan made fun of (girly beer) but they sure taste nice...

I'm sure glad you talked me into that last lap.  It was sure worth it!!  Your girlie beer was Michelob Light if I recall correctly. Grin

Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »

I'm sure glad you talked me into that last lap.  It was sure worth it!!  Your girlie beer was Michelob Light if I recall correctly. Grin

So no wine coolers then? Grin

Seriously guys, thanks. It would appear that the task at hand is to stay focused on the task at hand. I believe that we are determined to complete this race.  We will keep you posted.

Jimbo
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »

Greggy, I found an interesting little tidbit of info that may help.  Was looking for some info to use later this year.  Got this from Mountain Bike Action online.  Hope it helps. Smiley

Q. How many months should a person train before he could peak for an endurance race? What are the foods that should be eaten and what should be avoided? On race day, what should be eaten for breakfast and how many hours should we eat before the race starts? What food should we eat during the race? Thanks!
A. If you have a good base--say, you ride three times a week for over an hour--you are good to go for a team 24-hour event. If you are talking about a solo race that will run longer than three hours. you'll need to condition your body and emotions for the effort by adding an hour to your mid-week ride and start getting serious with a three-hour off-road ride on the weekend. Stay at 75-percent of your maximum, without taking a break longer than a stretch or a tire change (five minutes is a long time). add an hour to your duration every other week until you are at your race distance (or time. This means that you'll need at least six weeks to train for a six-hour race. As far as eating goes, use gel packs and regular water in your pack for durations up to three hours. Break it up with some solid food that has 20-percent protien and some fat (I like the Balance bar). Eat balanced meals while training--no silly stuff. Your water intake is more important for endurance events. Put a liter bottle in your car, one at work and one at home and go through all three, every day. Rest before your race--two easy one-hour spins during the week and keep your diet the same. It really doesn't matter what you eat on races day--all of your storage and hydration tha can be done, has been done. eat lightly and sip, not gulp water regularly before your event. You just want to stay topped off--not bloated. Your body cannot digest if when your stomach holds more water than your CamelBak. During your race, drink before you feel thirsty and eat before you feel the light sensation in your limbs that warns you your sugar levels are low. I eat small amounts once every 45 minutes during a fast-paced event--every hour on an all-day ride.

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ss29erposer whoneedsknees nostandingup

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 11:12:59 AM »

I trust these guys to cover the physical training part see the miles  Shocked Shocked Shocked http://bikejournal.com/home.asp.

The other hard part will be motivation, you can invoke what ever emotions you have but it will only last for couple of minutes and back again to the pain and cold of finishing a lap.

But hey, you guys have your team members to motivate you and count on to fill up camelbacks and serve hot solid food after each lap.

You guys can do it.

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous

http://treadlight-mtb.blogspot.com/
http://pinoymtbiker.proboards7.com/index.cgi
Anthem1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 04:32:41 PM »

How many members are on your team? If it's less than 12 I think you are a bunch of twisted, sadistic maniacs Grin
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »

How many members are on your team? If it's less than 12 I think you are a bunch of twisted, sadistic maniacs Grin

Baker's dozen..... Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: