Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Boyette's hardest trail  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Boyette's hardest trail
« on: April 13, 2008, 10:45:19 PM »
Swampers, help settle a feud. What's the hardest trail at Boyette? (Define "hardest" any way you want.)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Boyette's hardest trail
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 10:48:10 PM »
Swampers, help settle a feud. What's the hardest trail at Boyette? (Define "hardest" any way you want.)

Pandemonium #3.  Short little hops, one tough ass climb at the end.

Offline Reese

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »
I wouldn't really consider any of the trail at Boyette to he "hard".  Nothing in comparison to say Moonscape at Alafia or some of the red trails at carter.  But, if I had to pick one I would say South Abyss only because of "Big Drop".  Ive seen a lot of newbs not slow up in time for the 90degree left turn and go flying into the woods.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 11:02:23 PM »

Pandemonium #3.  Short little hops, one tough ass climb at the end.

I would agree, that is really the only truly "hard" trail at Boyette, because of that damned climb. There are lots of great trails there!!

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:28:31 AM »
IMHO, none of the trails qualify as "hard" just visually intimidating to noobs..everything is smooth and rolls together nicely..
but I'd have to say, Big drop and Pandemonium would be it..
although I got mixed up and tried to ride North Abyss backwards..that didn't work out so well..lol
Overall I like what you guys have done at Boyette, I used to consider that place one step better than Flatwoods, but..now I'd say it's a good mix of flat spinning and rolling hills.

to me, once you figure out where you have to maintain momentum, Moonscape isn't all that bad..Carter Rd, the fingers always give me a hard time, but I haven't been there in a long time, so god knows what those kooky Ridge riders have put in since then.. :P..I remember when Beast was a real bear..but last time I rode it, it had been worn down, and didn't deserve the title "beast"

When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »
I always think of the Abyss as one whole loop, so I'd say it is the hardest. It's not technically difficult, but rather aerobically difficult. I almost always ride my SS at Boyette, and if you run it non-stop at a good pace it will definetly get the heart rate up!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:33:23 AM »
I bet that's a challenge on a ss!
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:08:14 AM »
wow, abyss on a SS? I would never try that.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »
I always think of the Abyss as one whole loop, so I'd say it is the hardest. It's not technically difficult, but rather aerobically difficult. I almost always ride my SS at Boyette, and if you run it non-stop at a good pace it will definetly get the heart rate up!
I agree, IMO there are no single very hard trail but rather repeating them at no/or short stops and this would be the whole Abyss.
Repeating it twice, thrice, etc. will surely raise your heart rate due high aerobic intensity.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »
wow, abyss on a SS? I would never try that.
It is actualy "easier" than you thought and anybody can do it.

"easier"
: you can pick just one gear and stick to it. No more downshifting on climbs and upshift on flats.
: you are either grunting or overspinning.
: lots of fun.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »
It is actualy "easier" than you thought and anybody can do it.
Second that... Being in a SS you HAVE to learn where the climbs are or look further ahead.  On quick droops (whoops, rooling hills) , you have to pedal down hard and "run" on your bike uphill.  Good momentum becomes a MUST on a SS.  On my SS (32x18 yesterday) it's easier for me to clear all of the Abyss (and IMA - aka Pandamonium) except the long climb out to the road before the  big drop.  I have walked down the darn thing (Big Drop) before, since it still makes my knees shake.  I normally don't walk it since it is not safe to do that.  So I am NOT encouraging anyone to do the same.  If you are walking it down and someone comes along, it will not be pretty for anyone.   But I like to do the climb out of the Abyss.  So except for those two spots, I do much better on my SS then on my gearie bike.  Oh, the climb out on Pandomonium still a no go for me on any bike. 

I'll venture into Moonscape on my next trip but on my ss doing 32x20 there was very little I couldn't do that I normally do on my gearie.  The climb out of Franks loops still a biatch for me.  The whoops on bridges were much easier.  I even did the newer rabbit ear which I had not done on my gearie.  Go figure!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:56:47 AM by SandPine »

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 11:45:35 AM »
Yup, it's about power and momentum. I run a 34x17 on a 26", and have cleaned everything out there. We usually stop and play at that climb on Pandemonium, that one is a real bear and the only spot I don't nail just about everytime. I would guess that Pandemonium would be the most technical trail, but being rather short it isn't really challenging.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
The only thing that gets me with the climb on Pandemonium is not knowing exactly when it's coming up. I tend to come around that corner in too high a gear and too low a speed and stall out. When I'm paying more attention to the trail, it's not such a difficult climb. It's certainly gotten easier since it was first built and had all those loose rocks at the bottom that prevented you from taking the corner with speed!
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »
I still have a hard time with the big climb out of upper loch ness, but them again I am still a newbie.  ::) I havent even tried the Abyss or Pandemonium yet....

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 02:58:23 PM »
I still have a hard time with the big climb out of upper loch ness, but them again I am still a newbie.  ::) I havent even tried the Abyss or Pandemonium yet....
Don't be discorage to try other things if you can't make that climb.  That climb gives problems to everyone.  I have gotten within one pedal stroke of making it.  I've seen experience riders make it 1 or 2 out of 3 times.  Seen several fall off into the lake too.

Advertisement: