Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Lauren  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Lauren
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
Hi everybody,

It's been a long time since you've heard anything directly from me. As you can understand, I've been completely absorbed in everything going on with Lauren and any time not doing that is spent keeping my life functioning and getting out on the bike once in a while.

Lauren is now medically stable and all she needs to do is heal. She had a mild stroke that was an after-effect of the rupture. On April 2, she had what could only be described as "brain shock" and essentially shut down all voluntary movement. Since then, she's made small steps forward every day. This weekend she jumped. As of this morning, she's awake and aware of her surroundings. She has movement in all of her limbs and she's breathing on her own. She understands speech. She's shown that with aggressive therapy she'll be able to re-learn voluntary movement. It's still going to be a long road and there's still a lot of unknowns, but I've seen enough this weekend to believe that significant rehab is possible.

Things looked really grim last week and while she's nowhere near out of the woods, she made significant improvement over the weekend. I restricted visitation when the situation was much worse. Things are obviously much better and she can use lots of positive stimulation, so I'm now encouraging visitation. Here's the catch: Please contact me before you do so. The reasons for this are 1) So she doesn't get too much - she still needs lots of rest, 2) So we can educate you about what you can do with her, and 3) So we can make sure the right people are visiting. It's very important that she not be exposed to stress of any kind and it's possible that we'll ask certain people not to visit if we think there could be an issue. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, but I have to think exclusively about Lauren and surround her only with people who are positive influences in her life.

As for me, I have the situation and my life under control. I've surrounded myself with a small group of family and close friends and I'm handling things quite well when you consider what we're going through.

Harvey
harvey DOT minton AT gmail DOT com

Please email, not PMs if you want to contact me. Thanks.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Lauren
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:25:56 AM »
Hang in there Harv and Lauren, you guys inspire a lot of people.

Morisson

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »
My thoughts will continue to be with you guys.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »
Same here brother!
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:48:54 PM »
Yeah Harvey, we are all pulling for you!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:06:06 AM »
keep strong..

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 12:11:42 PM »
I've never met either of you, but I will certainly include you and your wife in my prayers.

~John
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Advertisement: