SWAMP Community Forums
June 22, 2008, 06:51:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Try our live Chat function.  Click the Chat menu button and wait for other users to enter the room.  Log in to the Forum to see the Chat button.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double dippin at the HOLE  (Read 833 times)
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »

I double dipped this morning...  31.5 miles 12.9mph average, if you need something to shoot for. Pushing big nevegals didn't help.  Everything very dry and clear, have fun tonight.

Thanks Chainslap, that is pretty damned fast.

Last week we ran 23.15 miles at 13.1 mph....the only stop we made was back at the hole, for about 20 seconds, to decide to go back in for a bit. We were at 13.2 and 19.95 miles. I guess we were a little tired as we lost a little on the avg. and the last little bit included speedway.

Not sure how we will do tonight...That MKsandoz has some speed!!!

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Jersh
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »

How was the ride?  We had a meeting that ran late so I wasn't able to get out of work in time to make it tonight...

Josh O'Donnell Photography
http://www.joshodonnell.com
Alan
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 09:13:36 PM »

Couldn't make it out tonight due to a doctor's appointment (had a large mole removed...hardcore weight savings for that competitive edge).  I'll be out there next Tuesday evening though.

Gregg...last weekend I went back by that black diamond boardwalk and found my damn Cateye!  Three weeks sitting in the rain, sand, mud, etc and she is still running strong and normal.   Grin
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »

Due to my usual prompt(not) arrival I guess me, Gregg and Mike rolled out around 5:35ish Cheesy Against Greggs wishes I persuaded him into riding the first lap backwards for a change of secenery for our second. He would later cuss me for this as he and another rider crossed paths somewhere around Hogwild? We finished with natural light still available :)just before 8:00. Our Avg. pace was 13.3 for a total of 30. something miles. Great ride tonight guy's had the lighting been there you two looked fresh enough for a third, maybe in a couple of weeks?
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 10:25:13 PM »

Ok.....

So as I wait for my chicken to cook, here is the scoop....

The 2 of us show up at about 5:20,but  Anthem took more than a few minutes to primp his bike Wink We discuss the route that we will take and I am persuaded to do one lap clockwise, and then turn around and do the second lap counter clockwise, the way we normally do it.  Not really sure how I am feeling, and with my camel back bladder having leaked about 6 or 8 oz we take off. As Chainslap said every thing was dry and even sandy in some spots. The leaves have started to thin out a bit, allowing for a little bit more traction. We were wondering how far along we would be before we saw any of the riders that started a 6. It took us until we were back in the Morris Bridge area before we saw Marty's group. One of the folks was kind enough to run into me.....It is ok, he only bumped my left chainstay.....I had gotten off of the trail when I realized he didn't realize that the noise he was hearing was the 3 of us yelling "Rider Up!!!". That part of the trail was wide enough for two way traffic. I understand he was new, maybe even one of the new guys on the forum....If it was you, it's cool... Smiley

This brings up another point that we were talking about earlier on the forum. Fairly early in the ride, going through the center of Flatwoods. I was almost clobbered by a guy riding with headphones.....I saw him around the bend, I yelled and made my presence known. I moved to the side of the trail....He did not hear me and I just barely got out of the way. That just furthers my belief that having your music cranked while riding just isn't safe. He looked mortified and probably will pay more attention in the future, I would guess.

Anyway getting back to the ride.....We only had a couple of minutes worth of stops, we did 30.10 miles at an average speed of 13.3 miles. That average is a new high for me, Anthem, Mksandoz and myself were never more than a couple of yards apart. It was great company and a great ride... Cheesy  Oh yeah I ran out of water at mile 25ish.....I was a bit parched!

Sorry for being so long winded, but as tired as I am, I feel a bit hyper!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

CrazyWhiteGuy
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Caution: May cause temporary blindness

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »

Nicely done guys. It woulda been fun to hop on your wheels for the second loop, but oh well, I still ran into yall(almost literally). We ended up running a bit late cause the old man had to pick up and install a new cassette on his bike.

Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black
chainslap
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 10:38:33 PM »

Sounds like a good ride.  I gota get my tuesday nites back.  Are you guys riding croom sunday?  Schedule looks like the far lot... if you want some long miles, hitting N blue to the pits and back could be 30-35 easy.  I'll drop on a bottle cage for some extra capacity if this sounds of interest.
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 10:40:04 PM »

Hmmmm.....Maybe, I will let you know for sure before the week is out.

mksandoz
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 10:51:58 PM »

im looking to do croom this weekend and would be down for 30+.  last time i did the whole blue loop and it was about 32miles on the garmin.
mksandoz
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 10:53:52 PM »

oh yeah, and awesome ride tonight Gregg and Scott!!!!  I look forward to more tuesday night rides while the sunset cooperates.
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 09:38:40 AM »

im looking to do croom this weekend and would be down for 30+.  last time i did the whole blue loop and it was about 32miles on the garmin.
If you are coming to the SWAMP club ride on Sunday, we start at Parking #3 on Tucker Hill by the Fire Tower.  We usualy head southeast on Yellow over to red and over to blue.  The faster guys (look for Bob Wilcox) will usually hop on the bail out #2 to Croom road and ride red trail over to Croom parking #1 and do rest of blue counter clockwise to bailout by the yellow.  That gives them over 30 easy.  The rest of the B groups will either bail on Croom road to yellow or will continue on blue north counterclockwise to red bail to yellow.  Which is what I plan on doing with a little trip to Sugar Falls Mountain.  Then finishing Yellow counterclockwise for about a 20-25 mile ride.  the C group will only do the Yellow.

Do NOT attempt a 30+ mile ride at Croom in the Summer if you are not ready for it.  Have plenty of water, food, and are with someone.  Trust me.  You might end up passing out on the trail with major heatstroke and will look like the fool on this picture:

mksandoz
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 10:39:04 AM »

so the start for the club ride is at the same trailhead as where the croom 50 started?

i'm not looking forward to the summer.  for longer rides in the summer i will have to get a second bladder for the camelbak. 

chainslap
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 12:18:01 PM »

The 12 mile bailout on N Blue would be a good spot to drop some extra water exc if anyone needs backup.  Easy access to the road, just don't forget to pick up the containers.  We may  be pushing a new thread here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: