SWAMP Community Forums
June 21, 2008, 10:43:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remember to login to view all of the boards and topics available to you.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: poor indian  (Read 1014 times)
cole
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »

Alright! Squiggy had an attitude this year.  A good friend of mine who I will not mention is a land manager at Wilderness Park, not that there is anything wrong with that, sezs - Timing was short and wet and  we went with it.  The race was great.  The trail will recover.  Recover as a bike trail.  There was no environmental damage.  There was no altering the ground surface water.  The riders stayed on the trail and the trail stayed on the riders.  Don't think you can do this all the time taking on a trail every time it rains. No, but we let Squiggy and Indian and maybe Gator make their own statement.  How many times when Indian and Gator are closed for good riding reasons some riders comes along and because of selfishness rides it anyway.  Okay I am rambling.  The trails will not be the same they will be better.  Great kudos to the trail workers but mother nature will take care or the land and we will take care of the trails. I know I do not ride as many miles on the bike as most of you but how do you know Indian will not be the same?  I remember after Yellowstone National Park was decimated by wild fires many said Yellowstone would never be the same.  They were right because the fires made the park better.  Let the water go down and the trail dry and we will go from there.  Remember, when we work on the trails we do it for nature first and the riders next.  I always wanted to be a preacher but I am just not religious so you are just going to have to put up with me.  By the way, Indian and Gator will be closed for awhile.
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 08:33:51 PM »

Thanks for the input Cole.  I know many riders are passionate about the trails that they ride and work on.  We hate to see our beloved trails get slapped around.  It is good that there are folks able to see the damage we can do to a wet trail and feel compelled to talk and even do something about it.  Hopefully, when Gruff gives out the call for the workday to go in and do whatever work needs to be done when these trails are ready to be reopened, enough of that passion spills over to the workday. 
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 08:41:08 PM »

Alan, your Anthem has a integrated cartridge bearing on the top and bottom of the head tube. As you suggested, remove your stem and drop your fork, this will give you full access to both bearings. You can pull and clean them with no problem Smiley
LTS guy
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

I named my bike sinister, because it is. ;/

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 02:29:33 AM »

Indian is one of my favs @ Morris Bridge, I hope it recovers, and honestly, the mud wasn't the toughest element IMO, it was the mud, in combination with the cold wind..warm Summer mud is one thing..50 degree mud is totally different. lol

That said, I managed to do my laps without crashing once, which had to be a miracle considering it was like riding in chocolate pudding.
Other than a couple of spots on Gatorbait and Indian, I was suprised at how dry the place was actually, after the 12 hr, down pour

well done people, and thanks so much to anyone who volunteered Cheesy

Run-4-3v3r
Birdman Flight club
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 10:27:51 AM »

That head wind as you came off of Indian through the power lines! What the hell was that? You would think you had a moment to compose yourself to get ready for Heartbreak Ridge, and Mother Nature had another thing to throw at you!

Chocolate pudding is a good description of the mud early on, but in the later laps I think it looked like brownie batter. Grin

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 11:03:40 AM »

Ok time to get myself a few smites but oh well--

Quite a few of you guys preach on here about not riding trails when they are wet and then you ride a race on one--hypocrites.  I really don't care if you ride wet trails or not but at least give up the preaching about it. Cry

Mike Cole
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »

Noble,
Actually, I have applauded you.  YOu got some big cojones by telling us all how it is.  You are so right.  Those of us who try to take care of the trails by telling people not to ride them when wet, we did do quite the opposite yesterday.  Not much explanation can be offered to justify that.  We could've just boycott'ed the race and preached everyone that would care to listen to do the same.  I, as well as many others that have worked on those trails, were quite surprised the route had not been changed over to Grampa at the last minute.  However, it was a race that has been in the schedule for almost a year.  Races are held as scheduled, rain or shine.  They do cancel or shorten them if conditions get unsafe for the riders.  But people make long terms plans and is very difficult to force everyone to adjust.  The coordinators and volunteers were busy trying to take care of all other things that needed care.  Very little time may have been left to argue over to use Indian or not.  Specially not while the whole racing community is right there waiting to start racing no matter what. 

You are so right.  I fall into that "Hypocrite" as you call it  I am sorry.  However, to make this up the smallest thing I can do is get my butt out to the next work day at WTA and help Indian gain it shine back.  I just spoke Barry Bates, who works on the trails often.  He rode it yesterday and he said Indian was not closed.  It actually had started to dry and only a couple of spot had wet sticky mud left.  Indian may have already started to take care of itself.  I am sure is changed but hopefully changed for the better.  Hmmm... I donno but I will go out there tomorrow to find out.  See you at the next work day.

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ssrigid29er26er

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »

Ok time to get myself a few smites but oh well--

Quite a few of you guys preach on here about not riding trails when they are wet and then you ride a race on one--hypocrites.  I really don't care if you ride wet trails or not but at least give up the preaching about it. Cry
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Could use a little bit of stirring the pot.

29, rigid and single
cole
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »

Indian and Gatorbait are closed.  They were closed around 2:30 pm today.  We are not trying to be consistent with our previous behavior, we are trying to be consistent with the truth.  The truth is we chose to go down the path of keeping the race as scheduled.  We will wait for the trails to dry and then we will go to work.  No name calling here.
noble
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 12:22:49 AM »

Sandpine--it is very cool that you accepted what I said--thanks.

I put in so many work hours at trails it ain't even funny and I know what it takes to keep up heavily used trails--it ain't easy and takes a lot of discipline. But for me it is more about the people than the land. I would hate to see someone crash and get hurt because of poorly maintained trails. 

Mike Cole
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »

Just a little update on Indian.

I rode it and Gator Bait today. Gator Bait is in as good a shape as it ever gets. We only rode in one direction..the opposite direction that it was raced in, and it flowed well. There was very little in the way of hog damage or damage from the race.

Indian was an even bigger surprise. The trail was in pretty good shape in all of the sections that were submerged, and in really good shape everywhere else. You can see the couple of spots that have been widened and there are still ruts, but it is obvious that they will recover as we move into the summer and the rains level them off.

Just hangin' out in the dirt.
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 10:43:25 PM »

Sweet, I look forward to Tuesday night Smiley
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 10:48:47 PM »

Just a little update on Indian.

I rode it and Gator Bait today. Gator Bait is in as good a shape as it ever gets. We only rode in one direction..the opposite direction that it was raced in, and it flowed well. There was very little in the way of hog damage or damage from the race.

Indian was an even bigger surprise. The trail was in pretty good shape in all of the sections that were submerged, and in really good shape everywhere else. You can see the couple of spots that have been widened and there are still ruts, but it is obvious that they will recover as we move into the summer and the rains level them off.

we should rename those trails "mosquito farm1 and mosquito farm 2"  they were in great shape riding though .... just remember to not open your mouth unless you are hungry

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 08:14:35 AM »

That's protein!

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
LTS guy
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

I named my bike sinister, because it is. ;/

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 10:00:01 AM »

Good to hear the trail is healing..not that I had any doubt, this isn't the first time, I've seen those trails during wet seasons become the swamp they really are. (no pun intended.)
But like clockwork, they are back and within a few months you'll ever be able to tell there was a Squiggy.
Until next year anyway...lol

Run-4-3v3r
Birdman Flight club
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: