SWAMP Community Forums
June 22, 2008, 06:51:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: North Creek Trail at Alafia River State Park is a fun and popular trail.
Ride this intermediate trail and then post your review here!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time to Alafia  (Read 384 times)
Rockhopper
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« on: April 17, 2008, 11:42:46 PM »

Hello -- Potentially headed to Alafia this weekend for the first time. My wife can handle the blue trails at Boyette, but the blacks like the Abyss etc are currently beyond her capabilities. With that in mind, do you have an suggestions on a good route at Alafia? Thanks.
jdk
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:00:16 AM »

I'd start off with Sandpine(A green trail) and progress to North Creek from there. Sandpine is almost completely flat with some difficult to navigate roots, but not too technical. North Creek has some technical descents and climbs that can sneak up on you.

I'm heading to Alafia Saturday morning - If you're going then I'd be happy to show you where the trails are.
moleminiman
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 06:25:07 AM »

Sand Pine to Rock Garden to River Loop........then when ur all warmed up North Creek is an excellent trail to start getting into the bigger stuff. 

Forrest
Rockhopper
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 11:07:09 PM »

Hello,

We finally made it to Alafia for the first time today (Sunday). Thanks for the advice. It came in handy.

Most of Sandpine was closed, so we went from River Loop to Bridges to the short part of Sandpine that was open to North Creek and then two more runs through Bridges. I ran Rabbit Ears and Rollercoaster, which may now be my favorite trail in the Tampa Bay area. For me, it has the perfect combination of speed, cornering, technical drops and grindy climbs without being so difficult as to make it a masochistic endeavor. Speaking of which ...

Overall, we found the trails well marked, but somehow I blew through the Moonscape sign at the end of Rollercoaster. I was doing fine, until I couldn't figure out which way to go when the trail crossed itself a couple of times. After riding three loops of the same tough section, I finally figured out where I went wrong and made my way back to the bail out riding in the wrong direction. I apologize for that breach of trail etiquette, but without it I would still be there riding that same loop like the Griswalds passing by Big Ben and the Parliament buildings. Moonscape kicked my butt and then slapped me in the face just to show me that I am both worthless and weak.

For anyone who cares, here's a first timer's review of the six trails completed on Sunday in order of preference:
1. Rollercoaster (Flowy)
2. Bridges (Fun)
3. Rabbit Ears (A couple of heart thumping moves)
4. Moonscape (Ouch!)
5  North Creek (What lurks beneath the green scum?)
6. River Loop (Roots)

We look forward to going back. Thanks again.

RiskEverything
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:45:11 AM »

I was there yesterday from 10AM-2PM, when did you ride?

I agree, Moonscape can be confusing if you don't know which turns to take. Thankfully it's easy to learn by following riders familiar with the trail.

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »

5  North Creek (What lurks beneath the green scum?)
Nice to hear you  had a great time.  You don't need too much miles to get a great workout at Alafia.  As for what lurks beneath the green scum?  Well, I have been fortunate to not find out yet.  I have left plenty of skin on the trail but no green scum bath.  I have seen a few sky dive right into it though.   Grin

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 10:05:21 AM »

actually there are chests full of jewels and gold under that green muck

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
Coach
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »

Interesting.  I don't remember seeing those in the picture with you, after you took a dive.  Grin

"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:39:20 AM »

Interesting.  I don't remember seeing those in the picture with you, after you took a dive.  Grin

you have to fight a dragon for it....i didn't have my sword

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
LTS guy
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

I named my bike sinister, because it is. ;/

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 12:40:01 PM »

I got a friend who has went in the green muck without his sword too...no treasure for him. Sad But he did get the consolation prize of being knocked one step down on the food chain for a short amount of time. Smiley

lol..

Moonscape did me pretty bad too my first time there, trust me when I say, you had a good first ride on Moonscape. Cheesy

You'd like Boyette too, if you haven't been there yet.

Run-4-3v3r
Birdman Flight club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: