Author Topic: Hard/Easy option on South Yellow  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Hard/Easy option on South Yellow
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 04:39:24 PM »

Garry:  just a thought here, and it's probably a dumb one, but what are the chances of bartering with the DOF and giving up some of the already-shredded red/blue trails to the enduro boys in exchange for being allowed to build out this pits area into a mtb only area?  Croom could use a few more technical areas, and there are probably spots on the reds/blues (south side maybe?) that are close to the sanctioned ATV areas that might be an attractive trade-off.

Sorry in advance for the probably excessive and un-warranted enthusiasm, but after seeing the possibilities in that pits area I figured I'd at least throw out the idea... :)
DOF is pretty sensitive about anything other than what shows on their map.  Unfortunately those never showed on their map and we removed it from ours long ago. Kind of sketchy, but once it's all said and done we may be able to eek that back in.  Expect at least a few more months or wrangling with the Croom issue.  Too bad they don't see it as simple as we do.  :(

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »

Garry:  just a thought here, and it's probably a dumb one, but what are the chances of bartering with the DOF and giving up some of the already-shredded red/blue trails to the enduro boys in exchange for being allowed to build out this pits area into a mtb only area?  Croom could use a few more technical areas, and there are probably spots on the reds/blues (south side maybe?) that are close to the sanctioned ATV areas that might be an attractive trade-off.

Sorry in advance for the probably excessive and un-warranted enthusiasm, but after seeing the possibilities in that pits area I figured I'd at least throw out the idea... :)
DOF is pretty sensitive about anything other than what shows on their map.  Unfortunately those never showed on their map and we removed it from ours long ago. Kind of sketchy, but once it's all said and done we may be able to eek that back in.  Expect at least a few more months or wrangling with the Croom issue.  Too bad they don't see it as simple as we do.  :(
Hmmmm..., ok.  Yeah, I was having visions of "Ridgeline quality" trails being built out in that terrain, as it seems like it's large enough to support it and it certainly has the elevation change(s).  Some of the spots as it flattens out in those pits are a little sandy (probably from rain run-off or something), but I'm sure you guys have figured out how to handle that at this point...

Anyway, count me in for trail work if it could be made into a reality!

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »
I know it`s like a wonderland over there when you see it for the first time glad you checked  it out.. What would be nice is if they stopped all the off roading back in the woods and gate all the fire roads like santos is there is no logical reason to allow motor vehicles back when its not hunting season..talk about environmental damage see what those yahoos do to the woods back there..

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 10:32:19 PM »
I know it`s like a wonderland over there when you see it for the first time glad you checked  it out.. What would be nice is if they stopped all the off roading back in the woods and gate all the fire roads like santos is there is no logical reason to allow motor vehicles back when its not hunting season..talk about environmental damage see what those yahoos do to the woods back there..
Funny you should mention that -- I was scouting around back there and to my amazement some citizens drove their exhaust-system-less war wagon up the FR and parked directly horizontally from where I was and started making their way into the woods toward the pits.  I observed them for a while, but wasn't sure if they were disposing of a body or about to perform a religious sacrifice or something so I went into stealth mode and vanished.   :D

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 12:11:01 PM »
I think i`m going to camo out my bike just to be safe ;D ;D ;D ;D