Author Topic: Cemetery at Croom  (Read 6132 times)

Offline sr24084

• First Bike
  • Jamis Dakota Comp
Re: Cemetery at Croom
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »
I missed this when it was originally posted. I was a bit pre-occupied with life at the time.

Skip was a very dear friend and one of the first people I met when I first started MTBing. He lived a somewhat bohemian lifestyle and never got conventional medical care. He had warning signs of a heart problem but ignored them. He was probably still turning the cranks when he passed. How cool is that?

Anyway, his marker on the south red is the very spot where he fell as he passed. I always stop there, grab my friend and go for a ride with him. :)

huh.  I always wondered about the story behind the little memorial with the pic and the first aid kit,chaingring, etc.....

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »
Took a walk to the cemetery the other day after a ride (nice Orange tree in the middle for those of you who dare to dine of its fruit).  Interesting vibe around the place.  Found this link -- not a bad read.

http://pascocemeteries.org/hernando_tucker_hill_cem.html
Thanks for the link.  I now know more about that cementary now and the history around that area.  I wish I could see pictures of that place I am sure there was a florida cracker home near by there. 
You may be right -- I've only recently started poking around the area, but will let you know what I find.  So far only a lot of armadillo's and some small game hunters with 20 gauge side-by-sides.   :)

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »
I'm not sure if it's still there but at one time there was a memorial on the side of the trail. It was a little before the clay pit area. Another rider told me it was for a rider that passed away while riding. Sad if it's true.

It's still there - after Tucker Hill parking headed South just before the red clay pits.  Skip Murphy was a friend of many who died of a massive heart attack while enjoying the sport he loved.  He was a strong rider who at times would offer words of encouragement to those struggling or of less experience on the trail.  A guy who was a little rough around the edges, but very giving from the inside.  We who knew him still observe his place on the trail as we ride that area.

Skip, as many knew was hardcore about his GT LTS's, and when I originally got mine, I got to meet Skip who gave me some really good beginner tips, he died shortly thereafter, but he was a really cool guy in my one experience with him. He used to have his own trails in Ellijay Ga., and they we're outstanding from what I heard.

I have a phobia, about naming my toys..my last LTS was named Sinister, but the 1000, is seriously being considering as "Skip" in honor of Skip Murphy...
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
huh.  I always wondered about the story behind the little memorial with the pic and the first aid kit,chaingring, etc.....
Next time you go by his memorial stop for a few minutes.  Open the platic bin and read the poems, emails, and stories about him.  Well worth it.  I never met him but feel I knew him just from reading what others leave behind at his memorial.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 10:52:16 AM »
Next time you go by his memorial stop for a few minutes.  Open the platic bin and read the poems, emails, and stories about him.  Well worth it.  I never met him but feel I knew him just from reading what others leave behind at his memorial.
Agreed -- I spent about 20 minutes one day reading thru the material and looking at the pictures -- very interesting.

Offline sr24084

• First Bike
  • Jamis Dakota Comp
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 12:28:14 AM »

I'll deff check it out better next time....