Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Ideas for my next bike....  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
Ideas for my next bike....
« on: April 23, 2008, 05:56:31 PM »
I've been on my Giant Rincon for a couple years now and i am thinking of moving up to a higher model. thing is, with all of the different brands, its hard to choose. i know everyone is somewhat biased to what they ride and have ridden, but i'm looking for ideas.
do i get a HT with really really nice equipment (fork, derailers (sp?), etc) on it
or do i get a full suspension with lower grade equipment

im 225lbs, 6' 1" - 6' 2". im not ready for big air and stuff like that yet. mostly doing alafia, boyette, carter, (maybe santos soon).

i looked at the Giant Yukon FX. full suspension disc brakes $865 msrp. seems decent. but im a n00b when it comes to what components are better than others

thanks for the info folks!
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline Reese

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: Ideas for my next bike....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »
how much are you looking at spending, that will help us with our suggestions.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:57:19 PM »
Do you ride the red/black trails, or stick to more blues? You can ride everything everywhere on a hardtail. You can usually go faster over rough stuff on a FS, but loose some pedaling performance depending on the design. If I was going to have 1 bike it would be a FS, preferably the same frame used for high end bikes so I could upgrade over time if I couldn't afford a high end bike to begin with.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:29:24 PM »
I'd stick with Giant and get a trance, they've always stuck me as the right kind of bike for FL.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:29:35 PM »
how much are you looking at spending, that will help us with our suggestions.

maybe $1000 - $1400 ???

i'm going to have to save for it no matter what, so probably around that range. i'm definitely not looking to spend 3g's lol
Joe

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:09:02 AM »
If your going to have a do it all bike, you should probably get a 5 inch dual.  The industry has made this breed faster, lighter and more versital than ever. IMO, this is the best bike for the buck.

Giant Trance X2 $1900 MSRP: you get 5 inches of excelent suspension technology with a fox F120r fork and fox float in the rear.   69.5 head tube angle and good bb clearance. Components are race face and mid line shimano for the most part.  The Devo saddle is a bit tough but the Kenda Nevegals 2.1 tires rock.  Basicly its an awsome frame, fork and shock that will ride great from the start and upgrades will shave weight and/or add durability as you progress.  It even comes with pedals.

If you are up for a 29er I would say the Gary Fisher X Caliber $1540 MSRP is a value leader.  Fox F80 rl fork Sram X7 shifting and hydrolic brakes are a great start. Look at the Rig if you wand a single speed. 

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:43:22 AM »
Getting a new bike is a big deal and with the money you are looking to spend getting the most bang for your buck is always a priority.  Giant makes great bikes, I have a trance 1 myself and I love it.  It has plenty of upgrades that have helped transform it into my riding style.  Your best bet is to get out there and ride as many bikes as possible and find something that suits you. AJ's has a demo program plus a first fit and you get 10% swamp discount.  Anyway, look at alaspects of the bike components, suspension (if any) but over all comfort should be number one if you are not comfortable on the bike you will not have a good time.  Try to look ahead at what type of riding you will be doing, or what you want to be doing.  For most of FL 3-5 inches on a FS is more than enough.  When you look forks look at tunability and travel you will rarely need more than 140mm for FL. Decide whether you to go clipless or get platforms.  There are tons of options out there. but comfort is #1.  Hope this helps a bit.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 07:02:04 AM »
I had a Reign 1 and loved it.  It was comfortable pedaled well, and relatively inexpensive (for what you get).  I rode it for a little over a year and realized I didn't need six inches of travel.  I am no huckster.  I bought a Trance X frame and it really woke up my riding.  I am faster and clean more technical sections, especially climbs.  I know some of it is more experience, but the bike feels right.  I know there are plenty of great bikes out there in this price range, but I have to give high reviews to the Trance X.  The regular Trance has 4.2 inches of travel.  AJ's does have a demo Trance X  ;D  among others.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:09:57 AM »
chainslap - that trance x2 looks very nice, and the price isn't bank shattering either. benji, not counting the demo programs, how would i go about riding as many different bikes as possible? i wouldnt feel too comfortable taking someone elses thousand plus dollar bike for fear of 'you break, you buy' lol

$1900 - 10% is 1710

a friend of mine bought a trance4 i think it was for like 1300 back in the day, he liked it a lot

the Trance2 on their website is showing $1175, but i guess the $800 difference is well worth the front and rear suspension components cuz you upgrade to fox from marchozzi fork / giant shock
the swingarm design looks slightly different on the x2 than the trance2 as well.

other than that, most of the components are the same (except pedals, brakes, crank, BB)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:20:42 AM by Slowy »
Joe

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:31:43 AM »
I dont think you get the 10% discount on bikes. you better check.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
a quick note:  The Trance and Trance X are two different bikes.  The Trance X2 is the lower level spec of the Trance X where as the Trance 2 is a spec of the standard Trance.  The Trance X is a newer disign and has more travel.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:33 AM »
yeah i noticed that after posting. i looked at the geometry specs and they are a little bit different, not too much though
Joe

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
If I know you are going to be at Alafia, I bring my Trance X for you to ride, and I'll ride my SS.  It is a 20" frame.  I'm 6' and 200 lbs. and it fits perfectly.  Don't worry......you'll break, before it does! ;D

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 12:38:06 PM »
does it have platforms or clips for pedals? i don't have clipless on my current bike
Joe

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 09:19:01 PM »
Either Time pedals or "shin slicers" (platform), your choice, I have both and don't mind switching them out.  How tall are you?  Will a Lg. frame fit.  Even a great bike improperly sized won't feel right.

Advertisement: