SWAMP Community Forums
May 03, 2008, 06:14:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: SWAMP Forums - Please login and join our community.
Anyone can register here for free and login for access to additional boards and topics.  Look near the top left of this page for the register or login links.  SWAMP mountain bike club members have additional access to trail maps and club business topics.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rollercoaster hill nuked into green  (Read 381 times)
Rasterman
SWAMPer
First Bike

« on: April 27, 2008, 10:54:23 PM »

This change has to be from a workday because it is so drastic, if not then somebody took their sweet time ruining a great short technical area.  There is a climb on Rollercoaster after a 'break area', after the break area you turn right then go up a hill that used to be littered with medium sized rocks, making it technical and quite fun, now its a flat and boring climb.  This change was probably a few weeks ago, just now posting about it though.  So what happened here?

== A.B.C. ===
chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:09:01 AM »

some gibroni moved the rock.who? Just some gibrone.
eclark
First Bike

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:12:36 AM »

I know where you are talking about and it was definitely sanitized.  You used to have to pick an outside or inside line around those rocks.  Those rocks were also good for keeping dirt on the trail.  All these spots where people cut out roots and remove rocks just turn into a future sand traps and then erosion sets in.  Its crazy that people mess with stuff like that, when it really wasn't a maintenance issue to begin with.  I don't think it was a swamp related removal, though maybe someone here can tell us for sure.
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:42:10 AM »

no - the swamp trail boss for Alafia def did not move those rocks - it is for sure sanitized

northbkr1
Huffy Rider

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:15:31 PM »

Like I have posted before and if you knew me you would know. If someone takes out a rock or anything else on the trail I WILL make it harder when I get the chance to go back an fix it. I would really like to spend what little time I have  building new stuff not working on repairing crap like this that newbies can't ride and destroy for the rest of us. Unfortunatley when you have thousands of people riding a trail (most of who don't belong there) this just happens. If you don't like what is happening on a trail you enjoy, do the right thing and go help on a workday. Sorry about the tone of this post but sometimes I just get tired of people assuming we make stuff like this easier on workdays  when thats the last thing I would ever do. If I made the trail the way I really wanted, not to many of the people reading this post would be able to ride it. This is a State Park and we have to make trail for the masses not the few. We have a workday this weekend if you would like to help. I won't be there for it but we need to do a lot of trimming and some repair work. I have a nice addition we can add to Roller Coaster and a new section for the end of Moonscape, all we need is a little help. Sorry about the tone.
Art
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:46:04 PM »

Yeah it pisses me off too that someone took that out! Angry Those rocks used to give me trouble too a long while back but I kept doing it over and over until I finally cleared it! Cool My wife and kids were watching me one day as I was determined to clear it in front of them. Of couse I hit the outside rock and tried to power over it which led to the folowing wheelie and reverse endo off the side of the hill. Only thing that saved me was the Charlie Brown christmas tree looking Oak tre twig that I grabbed as I was falling backwards. It was bent over in half and left me dangling still clipped in with my other hand on the bars! Scared the crap out of my wife. Me too for that matter. Huh

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
northbkr1
Huffy Rider

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:21 AM »

It will be HARD again. The rock will be back with a few more.
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 05:27:29 AM »

It will be HARD again. The rock will be back with a few more.

Grin

steve
Huffy Rider

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »

Like I have posted before and if you knew me you would know. If someone takes out a rock or anything else on the trail I WILL make it harder when I get the chance to go back an fix it. I would really like to spend what little time I have  building new stuff not working on repairing crap like this that newbies can't ride and destroy for the rest of us. Unfortunatley when you have thousands of people riding a trail (most of who don't belong there) this just happens. If you don't like what is happening on a trail you enjoy, do the right thing and go help on a workday. Sorry about the tone of this post but sometimes I just get tired of people assuming we make stuff like this easier on workdays  when thats the last thing I would ever do. If I made the trail the way I really wanted, not to many of the people reading this post would be able to ride it. This is a State Park and we have to make trail for the masses not the few. We have a workday this weekend if you would like to help. I won't be there for it but we need to do a lot of trimming and some repair work. I have a nice addition we can add to Roller Coaster and a new section for the end of Moonscape, all we need is a little help. Sorry about the tone.
Thanks Art you build some great trails be out to help you soon
Art

Rasterman
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »

That is very good to hear Art Cheesy  Next time I'm through there I will see if I can restore it a little.  BTW the same thing happened on a downhill in gatorback, a few hills from the end there was a rocky decent, the one with the palm tree and berm at the bottom of it, last weekend it was flat as a pancake, someone moved all of the rocks.

== A.B.C. ===
Tbalestrini
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »

I also noticed this. When I used to ride a couple years back this was always a awesome challenge that required balance and the right line. the penalty for error made it so exciting.
But since I started riding again I can just ride up that hill without any trouble, I thought I was just getting better but now I know the truth...... and the truth hurts Sad
Slowy
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:05:56 PM »

^^ yeah man, we both made it up that section no sweat. can't wait to see the new version

Joe
CrazyWhiteGuy
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Caution: May cause temporary blindness

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 10:43:25 PM »

Do what ya gotta Art. I think a nice big sign that clearly states that "anyone who sanitizes a trail will be banned" is in order (maybe a wall of shame?). This kind of stuff pisses me off. I'm not the greatest rider out there, and I love that fact. Some of us travel a good distance to challenge ourselves with some really technical stuff, and the fact that someone feels the need to alter a trail for their own personal advantage is just plain wrong. I'll see about doing the workday Art,

Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black
eclark
First Bike

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:35 AM »

Has anyone talked to the local boyscouts?  Going in and cleaning up trails is something they might do as community work.  It is very nice that they do things like that, but sometimes they are too gung ho.  I noticed boyscouts hiking last weekend, and it finally dawned on me that maybe they are the trail elves trying to make it safe for old ladies to cross the trail.  Anyone in here have kids in scouts that might know who to ask?? 
northbkr1
Huffy Rider

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:41:10 AM »

Like i said earlier it willlll be harder again. I just need the time to get out there and do it. Please don't try to fix anything on your own, I already have an idea about what I'm going to do. On the downhill on Gatorback someone mentioned, there are rocks under that dirt (it will be hard again real soon)  and there are a lot more rocks going down all over that trail to help stop erosion and to make a few sections harder. Have you ever heard me say I LOVE ROCKS.
Thanks guys and gals
Art
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: