Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Garmin Edge GPS question  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Garmin Edge GPS question
« on: April 28, 2008, 07:24:46 PM »
I have the 205.  I know quite a few of you have these.  I realize that the mileage will be short, even on the high res. setting.  My question is:  When or if you upload to the Motionbased software on the web, does it correct the mileage.  I just realized a ride I did with the family Sunday registered 4.75 mi., yet when I uploaded it, it showed 5.2 mi. on motionbased.  Anybody else have that experience?
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Anthem1

Re: Garmin Edge GPS question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:52:24 PM »
Never noticed, I will have to check that out after tommorow nights ride :)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
yeap... Motionbased, MapMyRide, and Allsportgps (the one I use most) tent to "smooth" out your path by filtering out the jagged (or corner cutting) path your gps thinks you took.  IMO Motionbased does a better job at it then Allsportgps.  Also, all GPS devices use different filters specially when it comes to climbing or change in elevation of terrain.  Those filters also are used differently based on how good of GPS reception you had.  If the gps reception was not very good you see more jagged paths.  When you load to a website like the ones mentioned, each one uses their own method of factoring in elevation changes from the USGS.  That also "adds" to your travel path making it a bit closer to what you actually traveled.

To this day, I still use my Edge 305 and my cateye computer on my 26er.  I only use the Edge on my SS since the wheel size is different and is a bit closer in the calculations.  You can run a wheel computer next to your Edge for a while.  Play with the changes of wheel size on your Edge until the calculations are a bit closer to the actuals.  This may help on normal days with good GPS reception.  But it will be off again on bad GPS reception days.   :-\

For those not using a GPS are probably thinking, why would I want to spend $200/$300+ on a gps bike computer when I can get better accuracy on my $60 cateye wheel based computer.  Well, there is more to it then just GPS reception.  Other then calculating speed and distance travel, the GPS device can be use in many, many different ways.  I use it for training and tracking work outs.  It has also saved my butt on several rides where I've gotten lost.  The gps devices got me back on track.  You can saved predefined routes (very popular with roadies) or other people's routes and follow them.  you can run a "virtual" partner using a previous run of the same route you did before and measure yourself against it. 

Enough already....  I could go on and on justifying my needs on this expesive toy (Garmin Edge) but you are probably bored by now ....   ;D :D

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »
You started on my question about the accuracy thing as opposed to a typical computer. Tell me more Marcel as I'm actually thinking about getting one. I need amunition information to overload the wife with! ;) :)
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 09:49:28 AM »
i like the combination of both a gps and a regular "cateye"

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:34:56 AM »
Ken, I sold my wife on the fact that I get lost at Boyette pretty easily (not as much now).  Being tired from riding, dehydrated, and 2-3 miles from the parking lot you can't find, wouldn't be a good time.  I ride alone most of the time, and I feel more comfortable riding in a new area when I have some help.  It gives her a little piece of mind that, although I may be dying in a ditch just off the trail from some horrendous crash, at least I'm not LOST!

Also, I found it online for around $100.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
Thanks coach! I ride alot by myself also. It's cheaper than therapy.She knows I'm fairly familiar with most of the trails except Croom. Maybe I could use Croom as a starting point for this angle! :) ;)
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »
Try taking a look at the total distance in the software before you upload it to Motionbased.  I have noticed that the total distance is not always the distance it says I rode.

I notice that when I do laps the device will trigger at different places on the ground, up to 20 feet away sometimes. The same goes for stopping and starting.  When you stop the device thinks "you are here".   When you start riding again the device thinks "oh, I'm here now" which may be far from my last stop point.  The difference gets added to "total distance" but NOT to the Ride Distance. So the more you start and stop the greater potential for difference between the distance you actually rode and the total distance on the device.

Having the Cateye as backup really helps.

As to the correction question:  I thought the online correction only updated the elevation, not the distance.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Advertisement: