SWAMP Community Forums
May 03, 2008, 06:14:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Alafia Trail Map available to SWAMPers!
The April 2008 trail map, which includes North Creek phase 4, is available in the Trail Map section.  You must be a SWAMP Club Member to view these additional boards.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trail Work  (Read 269 times)
jmdeluca05
SWAMPer
First Bike

« on: April 29, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »

Has anyone thought of posting what Trail maintence needs to be done on each Trail?  For instance I can only ride on Sat, and wouldnt mind spending an hour a week taking care of a few maintence issues.  Just an idea....seems if there were some little projects that needed to be taken care of posted online.  We could volunteer.
Coach
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:16:40 AM »

I am not an authority on the subject.  However, I think the problem is keeping the rangers or land mgrs. aware of exactly who is supposed to be maintaining the trail and who is altering it for their own good.  Currently, SWAMP has scheduled maint. days, so everyone knows if someone is doing something during a different time, it probably is not "OKed" by SWAMP.  I know there is a lot more to it, but I think that is the gist.

"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:35:07 AM »

Has anyone thought of posting what Trail maintence needs to be done on each Trail?  For instance I can only ride on Sat, and wouldnt mind spending an hour a week taking care of a few maintence issues.  Just an idea....seems if there were some little projects that needed to be taken care of posted online.  We could volunteer.

This has been posted.  It's called "ADOPT-A-TRAIL". 
It's real simple that all can help on, and only involves trimming of overgrowth or clearing blow down from storms.  Since more than a few folks expressed interest in helping with trail maintenance, but can't make the Saturday workdays, this is an opportunity to help out.  On a day of your choice you pick a section of trail that needs to be trimmed back from over growth.  Please remember to toss clippings well off the trail.  This DOES NOT however include changing the TTF's (technical trail features).  Rocks and roots stay where they are incorporated into the trail.  DO NOT alter the path or do any reroutes. If these features are causing erosion and problems for maintaining that trail then report it to the Trail Boss of that trail system and it can be addressed on the next official workday. If it's simply a matter of someone not being able to clear the obstacle because the skill level isn't there yet, then ride something else until your skills are there.  The trail will be there waiting for you.
So to sum this up...Bring loppers or hedge shears on a ride and time that works for your schedule. See some face slappers or brush that is hiding an obstacle?  Trim it back, toss the trimmings off the trail, ride to the next spot.  Let the Trail Boss know what you did and the time you spent.  Get volunteer hours for you, the club and the park.  What could be easier.  Give a little back and get to ride.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:49:49 AM by Garry » Logged
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:48:17 AM »

Garry post is one of the ways you know... The other is if you join one of the park's patrol groups.  I don't know if you have to be trained as a patroller to join a one of those groups.  I seen joggers do trails reports.  NEWayz... on those patrol groups, you see what others patrollers are reporting of what needs maitenance.  However, doing a ltitle trimming where is needed may be okay... but do NOT do any trail changes/fixes without first notifying the trail boss.  You can also contact the trail boss directly and either "adopt-a-trail" or ask them if there is seomthing you can do at the time you can go do it.

Alafia - Art North
Croom - Bob Wilcox
WTA - Ken Orlando
Boyette - Garry or Dave White

RiskEverything
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »

Is there a way that trail maintenance could be logged as community service hours? If so, I might be able to convince some college clubs to do some trail maintenance for us....

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.
northbkr1
Huffy Rider

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:25 AM »

Yes it can, I have done it for a few people at Alafia
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 07:48:08 AM »

Is there a way that trail maintenance could be logged as community service hours? If so, I might be able to convince some college clubs to do some trail maintenance for us....
Oh yes...  I seen a jail crew come out to WTA one day.   Cheesy  Actually not convicted locked up felons types.  It was two peeps who needed community service hours and worked with the park ranger.  We spread shell all day that time.  I think they were regreting they didn't choose picking up litter on the side of the street instead.

Several of the North Creek bridges were worked on by boy scout troops.

RiskEverything
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 09:50:06 AM »

How would I go about getting their hours logged?

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.
northbkr1
Huffy Rider

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »

Get with a trail boss, a ranger or land manager
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: