Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: removing obstacles?  (Read 15760 times)

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
removing obstacles?
« on: April 30, 2008, 08:00:41 PM »
I went to Alafia today for a little stress relief, and started on Northcreek.  To my horror, the log on Northcreek was removed.  Since I also rode there last night, I know that this tragedy happened today.  The log was only 16 inches high, if that, and had a nice easy go around on the right side, now the double log has been cut out and there is absolutely no reason that it should have been removed.  There was no safety issue or erosion issue related to this particular trail feature.  I assumed that this was unauthorized trail work, as Art said before that he wants the obstacles left on there.  Figuring the rangers might know something about unauthorized chainsawing in the park, I stopped on my way out and asked who cut the log.  The nice ranger told me that Ken and I think the second name was Rich removed that log today, she further told me that they are the mowing crew and since the grass isn't growing right now they have been cleaning up the trails.  These guys should be removed from their jobs faster than Stephanie Ragusa.  Are these guys part of SWAMP and is ruining trails part of their job description?  If these guys are part of SWAMP can you have them stop the destruction?  And if they are not part of SWAMP than why are they working on SWAMPS trails on the tax payers dollar?  Someone please help me understand. 
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:39:39 PM by Garry »

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: removing obstacles?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
Sounds like Ken and Dick.  Ken is the trail boss at Morris Bridge.  They are at most of the workdays and they would not remove anything without Art's or the park managers direction and approval.  And as far as working on SWAMP trails, they are not, since SWAMP does not own any trails.  We just build and maintain trails with the land managers approval.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:53:28 PM by Garry »
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »
I am assuming they are responsible for the build up, "go around" where the board crossed the mud pit on NC.  Also, they filled the deep washout on the multi use trail at the intersection of Rock Garden and Bridges.  They also appeared to cut back a lot of trailside shrubbery.  With the volatility of this group (forum readers), I will reserve my opinion.  I'll leave it with this.  If Art approves it, I am all for it, if he doesn't want it, then keep it the FOCKER out of the park!  Art and I aren't family or even good friends, but I know he has over 2,000 (yes, you read it right) hours invested in that park.  It is hands down the best park in the area, and is incredibly well managed.  Some of you bitch at him (Art) for making trails too easy and others bitch that they are too hard.  Why doesn't everyone stop bitching and go for a RIDE!  I'll get off my soap box now.

O.P. this spitting of venom is in no way aimed at you or anyone else in particular.  Just airing my feelings on a public forum.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:39:00 PM by Garry »
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:01:28 PM »
Stump, I appreciate the info, Coach, I appreciate the passion.  I have heard an "it might be" so far, but no definitive answers.  If this was a SWAMP/ Art condoned obstacle removal, then I believe this is messed up, as this obstacle was not a safety or erosion concern and there was a clear way around it.  I am hoping to hear that this is a non SWAMP affiliated mowing crew( I assume this is a paying job for someone) and they just need to be told to mind their business and stay off of the volunteer maintained trails.  If this is a paid job to mow the grass, and these guys are padding their hours by doing SWAMP volunteer work on paid time, who ever is paying them should know that they are paying them to do a job that we all go out and do for free on a monthly basis.   
  Does anyone have any definitive answers?  I am not trying to get on a soapbox here, I am just trying to express myself as a concerned community member.  Thanks for reading and for any info provided.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:38:42 PM by Garry »

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »
Not to add to the fire, but someone improved the traction on the paved climb on Bridges dramatically.  To the point where I made the climb pretty easy on my SS.  It was a bit of a bitter sweet accomplishment.

P.S.  Eric, if that's you, I saw your Xterra, but didn't see you today.  Hope you were able to get your "Air" fix.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:38:25 PM by Garry »
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:36:54 PM »
Yeah Coach, I saw your car there tonight, you were parked almost across from me.  I actually went out to spin my legs tonight, I rode a brutal pace last night and my legs still felt wound up.  Minimal air, though sometimes gravity just lets go...  I wish I wasn't so rattled about that stupid log being cut out, I saw 3 young otters up on the bank after the log on north reek.  They were so cool, within 10 feet, and "the log" was the first thing I could tell my wife about. 
    I think your talking about the climb right before the whoops, it was filled in alot, but needed.  Stuff gets dirted in, then it gets washed back out.  I am okay with that stuff, I am okay with the boards being removed around the mud on Northcreek.  The actual trailbed was replaced there and drainage was provided, as well as that narrow board being too skinny for some, and if you fell on the edge, you'd gash yourself up.  I do have a major problem with rocks and roots being removed from ...  almost ranted again when I just wanted to say "hey coach". 
    I am still waiting to hear some official word before I get all purple in the face again.  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:38:08 PM by Garry »

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:37:32 PM »
What log on NC was removed?  The new section that the gator was seen on?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:37:50 PM by Garry »

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »
No Garry, the log was in the first 1/4 of the trail, it was a double log with nothing before or after and a clear go around on the right side.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:37:34 PM by Garry »

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 10:43:04 PM »
No Garry, the log was in the first 1/4 of the trail, it was a double log with nothing before or after and a clear go around on the right side.

I guess I never paid much attention to it and just went with the flow.  I'll probably miss it when I go through there again.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:37:14 PM by Garry »

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »
Eclark, I don't think the biking is helping you that much with your stress relief. You're wound too tight man!!! Try sex.   ;D   :o
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:36:56 PM by Garry »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 10:54:48 PM »
EClark,
Ken and Dick are longtime SWAMP members, with Ken being the Trail Boss at Trout Creek/ Morris Bridge/ and Flatwoods, and also one the the SWAMP board of directors.  One or both are at almost every workday.  As far as removing roots, I have removed plenty on Panther, but under the diection of WES, Garry, and Ken. :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:36:38 PM by Garry »

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »
Stump, are they the mowing crew?  Is that a paid job?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:36:17 PM by Garry »

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 11:14:14 PM »
They are also the part-time mowing crew. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:35:51 PM by Garry »

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »
I do remember that tree now, and yes you could go off to the right to avoid it.  But, it was a fallen tree after the trail was built and established, so it's generally standard procedure to remove those.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:35:34 PM by Garry »

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:11 PM »
You got the tree Garry (sorry Mr Pres).   If something is removed or altered, don't worry, Art will replace it with two more harder obstacles. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:35:10 PM by Garry »

Advertisement: