Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Newbie asks a wheel question  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Newbie asks a wheel question
« on: May 02, 2008, 08:11:20 PM »
Hello -- My back wheel kept blowing spokes so my LBS got Specialized to replace it with a new wheel. Specialized did not make the wheel anymore, so they told the LBS that they would pay for two (front and back) new aftermarket wheels. I ended up with two new Mavics.

Here's my question: why does my new back wheel make that clicking noise when I'm not pedalling? My old wheel didn't do it. I've noticed that some of the people I ride with have wheels that do it and some don't. Is there any way to make it stop?

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Newbie asks a wheel question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »
The noise is completely normal and happens when the bike is 'free-wheeling' (when you are moving and not pedaling).  Some hub designs are silent and some make noise and some make a ton of noise.  You can' really stop it as it is all part of the design, but if it really bothers you, just pedal.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:18:44 PM »
Thanks BillT. So I take it it's not a cheap wheel versus high-end wheel issue?

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 09:22:44 PM »
No.  As a matter of fact, some of the finest hubs are extremely loud (Kings, I-9s).
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 09:23:41 PM »
Thanks BillT. So I take it it's not a cheap wheel versus high-end wheel issue?

Not at all...in fact, most the highest end hubs (Chris King and Industry 9 in particular) make the most obnoxious noises.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Anthem1

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:28:09 PM »
NOISE????????? Sounds like music to my ears ;D

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 11:06:36 PM »
if you don't want those mavics I'll trade you for a set that doesn't make that noise. LOL!

You just got a bmw for the old chevy. Don't give it up just because the sound. That sound let's everetone on the trail know you got bling. But if you don't want them I'll trade you. :-)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 06:51:41 AM »
When another rider hears you behind them coasting while they are pedaling it puts the pressure on!! zziiiiinnngggggg!

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »
Chances are your old wheels also made that clicking noise, just not quite as in your face as the Mavics do.  It is - in most cases - a sign of quality in the hub and the pawl mechanism/engagement system.  Coming from one of those I-9 riders louder is often times better mwahahahaha.....
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »
Coming from one of those I-9 riders louder is often times better mwahahahaha.....
yea if you have the money for'em...   ;D

Hey Kevin,
Are you going to change from Marin Biker to Ellsworth Biker?  Or is this not the Kevin I am thinking of?  That is a nice Epiphany with I9's you got...

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »
yeah - it's me my SS 29er friend.  Too many peoples go around her as ellsrider or such already, to hard to keep track.  Marin was my first ride, so the moniker will stick. Soon that ride will be looking for a new home, gotta pull it appart and go over it to make it as close to new as possible then see if it can make anyone else as happy as it made me.

and yeah, those wheels have a price tag on 'em.  I came into some cash unexpectedily when I sold my 300C Hemi included for a stinkin' commuter Honda Accord (gas was killing me then...heh) so I rewarded myself with some bike bling.

Still the best single component I've bought for the bike.  Thanks on the nice words about the Epiphany.  it is a VERY sweet ride. weights the same or even a little less the marin with a bit more cushion.  it floats over most things.

maybe one day here I'll come over to the SS side of the force...
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Advertisement: