Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Main pivot bearing popping!!!  (Read 5639 times)

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Main pivot bearing popping!!!
« on: May 04, 2008, 08:51:14 PM »
A little head scratcher for everyone....My 2005 Trek Liquid 55 has a little problem.  It wears out main pivot bearing like they're going out of style!  It was a demo bike that I bought last March.  Since then I've put just over 2000 miles on it, and on my third set of bearings.  Now it is making the popping noise that comes from the pivot when the bearings wear.  I've been very happy with the bike except for this problem.  Does anyone out there have to change theirs as often or at all??  The bearings don't press in either.  Locktite has to be used to "glue" them in the frame.  My LBS just keeps replacing the bearings.  The first set was warrantied.  I had to pay for the next set.  Does anyone know of a cure for this problem other than getting a different bike (I know some of you were about to suggest that :)).  Thanks in advance.
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Anthem1

Re: Main pivot bearing popping!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »
Could they just be loose? The Anthem was doing the same thing, I thought the crank had gotten loose but it turned out to be the pivot bolt had backed off. I applied some Loctite and torqued the bolt  down and all was good.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »
Jimbo,
I have had to replace the suspension bearings (8 of them) on my 2005 Reign three freaking times!!!  The first time was my fault for spraying degreaser on them when I thought it was for lubing.  The second time, the LBS thought they would save me money and only replace the ones that were bad.  Well that didn't turn out too well since it wasn't long before the other ones go.  You are supposed to replace them all.  Check the casing where the bearings go.  If they have been worn out the bearings no longer seat in properly.  Some bearings have to be pressed on and pressed off so if the mechanic is not careful, they will mark the casings.  The last time I replace them, the LBS told me that if it happen again, they would send my frame to Giant to have it inspected and see what they could do about it since the bearings should be lasting longer.  It could be a slight bent or something.  Hopefully, you don't have similar problems.

I wanted to replace the Giant bearsing with aftermaket ones made by Enduro.  The LBS adviced me not.  I don't know if they wanted me to keep going back or if they just didn't really trust the Enduro bearings.  Other swear by them.  Look into them.

Also, check the mtbr.com forums for the type of bike you have to see if others have similar problem and how they fixed it.

If you tighten them yourself like Scott, make sure you use the manufacturers recommended pressure.  Do NOT over tighten or under.  Another reason why mine may have gone bad.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 09:08:41 PM by SandPine »

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
They pivot bolt seems to be tight.  One side is a hex bolt, the other side requires a wacky special tool to grab a hold of it.  The bearings have definitely worked themselves loose in the frame.  When you grab a hold of the seat tube, you can see the bearing moving slightly back and forth in the housing.  This causes a little bit of back and forth play in the rear suspension.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »
Pivot? What is that? I don't have that problem. I just go to the chiropractor, for a quick fix. :D

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Not to mention, a much more significant amount of butt butter! ;D

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 09:30:53 PM »
ASMASTER!!!  ;D

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 09:31:57 PM »
It kinda sounds like there might be an alignment issue with the frame causing the bearings to wear prematurely.  I'd try talking to your LBS and have then have their Trek rep look at the frame and see what he has to say.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 09:47:19 PM »
I might try that Bill.  The only thing my LBS has done besides replacing the bearings is scratching their heads as to why they are wearing out so fast.  I'm suprised they haven't asked the friendly Trek rep about it yet. 

Marcel, I checked mtbr.  They were a couple instances of popping coming from the frame.  Their LBSs couldn't figure it out.  There were some frame breakage issus on the 04 frames.  Otherwise, everybody was happy with the bike.

Ass Master rules!!!!! ;D   

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 09:56:24 PM »
  The first set was warrantied.  I had to pay for the next set.  Does anyone know of a cure for this problem other than getting a different bike (I know some of you were about to suggest that :)).  Thanks in advance.

Clean them often, grease them well, ride, repeat as needed.

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 11:55:34 PM »
I had the exact same problem with my Gary Fisher Cake. Probably the same crap bearings. Locktite didn't work for long. After the 3rd set loosened up Fisher replaced my frame. It seems the frame wallowed out and the bearings would not hold. I sold the new frame and have been on a hardtail ever since. Problem solved ;D
This is gonna hurt

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 06:49:31 AM »
Very interesting....seems I gonna have to have a long discussion with my LBS on this.  The same thing happens to mine.  The locktite breaks loose and the lower swing arm moves back and forth.  You can actually see the bearing move in the frame.  Not going to go hardtail.  My posterior is too used to the squishy rear suspension. ;D

Offline richie

• Phil 4:13
  • First Bike
  • ...ETSX-50...
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 06:57:07 AM »
Not sure what loctite they are using but try some green.We use it at work to hold bearing races and cartridge bearings in place.Takes a torch to get it loose. ;D
Confusedjus say "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 07:42:12 AM »
No loctite in the world is gonna hold if the frame is wallowed out. If you can see the bearing moving independently of the frame then the hole is wallowed out. If all the LBS can do is scratch their head I'd try finding one that is a little more competent.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 07:59:28 AM »
Never had to replace them on the ellsworth. Going on eight years now.Hmmm.. ;D

Advertisement: