This 3 hour beginner introduction to off-road bicycling covers Basic Mountain Bike Concepts and Techniques, including:
Discussion and Demonstration of:
* Proper Bike Set-Up (Seat position, tire pressure, brakes, etc.)
* 27 Gears - Why so many, when to use 'em
* Trail Side Repair
* Trail Etiquette
The Instructor will demonstrate, and the riders will practice:
* Braking Techniques
* Shifting all those gears
* Climbing and descending hills * Getting over big roots and small logs (optional)
* Negotiating sand, mud, logs, and other fun stuff
This Basic Training Session is held on the first Sunday of each quarter (Jan, Apr, Jul and Oct), in Tampa's Trout Creek Park, usually beginning at 9:00 AM.
Additional classes may be scheduled as demand requires.
Class is limited to 10 cyclists with a minimum of 5 needed to hold the class. Cost of the three hour class is $10 per person. Anyone may take this course including non-club members.
Reservations must be made by the Wednesday preceding the Class.
For information and registration please contact Wes Eubank at 813-988-6435 (in Tampa) or send e-mail to wes at swampclub dot org.
Requirements for the class:
* Bicycle (off-road bike) must be in good working condition
* Rider must have a helmet and water (a snack is suggested too).
* Rider should be familiar with his/her bike (please do not make this your first ride on a Mountain Bike)
* Rider should be physically capable of riding 5-7 miles off-road
* Optional but suggested gear: spare tube, portable air pump, and tools