Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Markham Park ride in South Florida  (Read 1400 times)

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Markham Park ride in South Florida
« on: May 06, 2008, 08:12:32 AM »
I'll be heading down to South Florida to see family and figured I'd swing by Markham Park on Friday and check it out. It's been years since I first rode there. I was wondering, by any chance, anybody planning to be down there that day? If not, does anybody know of a South Florida club where maybe I can find local people who might be riding that day? Thanks!

Offline javier

• First Bike
Re: Markham Park ride in South Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »
Check out www.clubmud.com  you can find people on there that are probably going to be out there and would not mind showing you around.  Enjoy our trails. 

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »
I rode there for the first time about 4 weeks ago.  As you enter you will have to watch a 5 min video and sign the waiver to get your access card so you can get through the gate at the trailhead.  The trails there are quite techincal in places but are fairly short and reasonable to navigate, watch out on the reds for choppy drops and structure based obstacles. Both helment and gloves are required. The club rides @ 9:00 am on sat and sun.  It is a popluar place, plenty of people to follow and there are bike patrol  in red jerseys too.  I had a blast and definently improved skills through the rocks and drops.

Offline jazzman161

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 02:37:39 PM »
Are you serious chainslap? Holy crap has it changed it 4-5 years. I remember going with my friends and just plowing through the trails. No videos or requirements or anything. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »
The video thing is brand new and is something that Broward County is doing to limit liability in their parks.

I usually organize a day trip down to Oleta and Markham once or twice a year so if anybody wants to come, I'll let you know when the next one will be - most likely around Thanksgiving.  This next trip we'll only do Markham as our last two trips down there, we much prefered Markham and decided we'd just do a whole day there.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »
That sounds like fun Bill.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »
I'll let you know...we'll typically do it the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving as people tend to have some time around then.  We'll leave around 6am, be on the trails before 10am, ride the day and pack up to go home around 5-6pm.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: