SWAMP Community Forums
June 09, 2008, 06:49:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thank You for participating in our Forums!  You add character to our site!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boyette Zoning update -- Please Read  (Read 656 times)
BeerCan
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« on: May 06, 2008, 08:05:03 PM »

Here is an update and some info about the rezoning plan that concerns Boyette scrub.  At least one person in my family attends the local civic meetings monthly to voice their (our) displeasure with this plan.  Please write a letter similar to the one attached to add support to this cause.  (BTW I am not related to Mariella but she is a local lead on this cause)

Thanks

Subject: Update on rezoning with road thru ELAPP and over Bullfrog Creek
    Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:28:08 -0400
    To: Smith Mariella

Thanks to all of you who are FLOODING the county with letters opposing this development proposal, the developer is requesting a continuance (postponement) of the zoning hearing, in order to try to review all our concerns and meet with the community. County staff encouraged them to take this course in light of the massive opposition pouring in.

The developer is requesting that the zoning hearing date be changed to:
    June 16, 6:00 p.m.

See the developer's letter here:
    http://www.box.net/shared/1ebaxu9ogc

(The zoning hearing masters almost never deny these requests, so there's no need for a crowd to show up next Monday, after all.)
    Stay tuned for details on a community meeting.

Please send in an opposition letter if you have not done so yet. (see sample letter below) There is now more time for letters, as that deadline moves back with the hearing date.

This horrid project was sailing right on through the process until we raised our voices against it. Because of our involvement, more issues with the project are also coming to light, and we now have a better chance for a more positive outcome. Thank you for taking action -- it's working!

Thanks to all who are forwarding these messages -- please forward this one as well, so everyone is aware of the new hearing date.

Call me if you have questions: Mariella Smith, 645-4218

(original e-mail below)

Please send a letter now opposing this proposed zoning change that would pave a new road right through the Balm Scrub Preserve (a county-owned ELAPP Nature Preserve), running north-south, making a new connection to county road 672. They also propose a new 4-lane road crossing Bullfrog Creek, running east-west. Both roads cross Essential Wildlife Habitat and wetlands, and would have terrible environmental impacts. The only reason for these roads is to build a big subdivision in the rural area -- the roads do not serve any current residents. (see maps)

The proposal is for 1089 houses on 537 acres adjacent to Balm Scrub preserve, surrounded by Essential Wildlife Habitat (Gopher tortoises, Kestrels, plus deer, bobcats, foxes and more). The ELAPP preserve wraps around the east and north sides of the proposed subdivision. Bullfrog Creek runs along the west and south sides. This site is the "hole in the donut" surrounded by ecologically sensitive wildlife habitat and wetlands. AND it is almost all in the Rural Area -- outside the Urban Service Area. This is the definition of Urban Sprawl, and it will set a precedent for more expensive sprawl outside the Urban Area.

This huge development will have horrible traffic implications for Wimauma, Balm, and Sun City Center, as well as anyone who travels 301, 19th Av., 674 and 672. See notes below, with links to more info.

Please send letters opposing this proposal:

Be sure to reference RZ 08-0306
    Feel free to copy the sample letter, below, or just say "I oppose RZ 08-0306 because of its impacts to our natural resources and traffic." Add your name & address.

Send letters via e-mail to:

To: mcgeet@hillsboroughcounty.org
    CC: gradyb@hillsboroughcounty.org
    Subject: Opposition re: RZ 08-0306, adjacent to Balm Scrub Preserve, Wimauma

Please put a copy of this letter, in the case file for review by the Zoning Hearing Master, and consider me a Party of Record.

Opposition re: RZ 08-0306, adjacent to Balm Scrub Preserve, Wimauma

Dear Zoning Hearing Master,

I am opposed to this zoning change that would add too much density to the rural area, and allow intolerable impacts to our natural resources. I'm especially concerned about the ecological damage that would be done by paving new roads through the Balm Scrub Preserve, to the north, and over Bullfrog Creek to the west. Both roads cross Essential Wildlife Habitat and wetlands, and would have terrible environmental impacts. The only reason for these roads is to build a big subdivision in the rural area, which we do not need at this time -- the roads do not serve any current residents.

In fact, the proposed "19th Ave. Extension" over Bullfrog Creek was recently opposed by citizens. The adamant opposition to this road was one of the reasons for the county's withdrawal of the South County Transportation Plan. This road is not supported by citizens and it is not appropriate to approve it in a rezoning without more community discussion.

This site is the "hole in the donut" surrounded by ecologically sensitive wildlife habitat and wetlands. Furthermore, it is almost all in the Rural Area -- outside the Urban Service Area. Because of its special location, this application should be required to go through a Specific PD approval process -- not this general PD process -- so we can see exactly where the wetlands are, and plan precisely where each building would go, particularly in the sections that back up to the preserve.

This unique site should also be held to higher standards than the usual bare minimums. A larger proportion of open space should be required, and large buffers should be provided all around. The wildlife corridors and crossing should be planned in detail, in advance. High fencing should be used all around to keep the wildlife off the roads, and direct them to the protected crossing. Bridges, rather than culverts should span the creeks. Lower density should be considered.

Please deny this proposal.

"Westlake Reserve" maps, plan, proposal - RZ 08-0306:
    http://www.box.net/shared/9nq7k55okk

Transportation Comments:
    http://www.box.net/shared/bh34e4a8so

Some comments from the Transportation staff analysis note the areas of traffic concerns:
    The impacted portions of analyzed roads are currently operating at acceptable levels of service.  With the addition of project traffic, and vested traffic, some of the impacted portions of roads can be expected to operate at an unacceptable level of service.  ... With project and vested traffic, portions of SR 674 would operate at an unacceptable level of service.  With the addition of project traffic and vested traffic, the intersection of US 301 & SR 674 would operate at an unacceptable level of service. ... Several parcels in the general area have either received rezoning approval or are seeking rezoning approval in the area of this application. ... The major roadways in the vicinity of the project are currently operating at an acceptable level of service.  With the addition of project plus vested traffic, these roadways will begin to operate at an unacceptable level of service. 

Get more info online: http://pgm.hillsboroughcounty.org
    Login is "public" and the password also is "public." See site plans, agency comments, letters, and everything in the case file. Click on "query" and enter the case number (08-0306) where it says "tracking #"

Call me with any questions.
    Thanks for your help!

Mariella Smith
    645-4218

« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 08:07:22 PM by BeerCan » Logged

Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever
Jimbo
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:53:29 AM »

Sent my letter this morning!!

It's not just fun, it's an addiction!
treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ssrigid29er26er

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »

Speak.

Only took couple of minutes to copy, paste and e-mail.

MoriSSon

29, rigid and single
c-dalerider
Amatuer Billy Goat

wishing I could ride more!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »

Just sent mine.
jmdeluca05
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:24:42 AM »

I sent mine! 
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:56:14 AM »

me and my wife have sent letters.

If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 09:27:13 AM »

Just sent mine.  But don't forget to include on how much time and effort have gone into the MTB trails at boyette for the general public to enjoy.  If project approve, it will erase some if not most of the trails we currently enjoy at Boyette.  Don't just copy paste please.  Thanks.

Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »

I added this "The Balm-Boyette Scrub Preserve is also home to some of the best mountain bike trails the state of Florida has to offer and they are visited by thousands of residents AND visitors annually (read tourist dollars). People travel from all over the state, country, and even the world to visit and rides these trails. This proposal would destroy most of these trails for no apparent benefit."

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »

I added this "The Balm-Boyette Scrub Preserve is also home to some of the best mountain bike trails the state of Florida has to offer and they are visited by thousands of residents AND visitors annually (read tourist dollars). People travel from all over the state, country, and even the world to visit and rides these trails. This proposal would destroy most of these trails for no apparent benefit."

Looking at the maps and the proximity of Balm-Boyette Nature Preserve it appears this plan does not affect the Boyette property - at least the portion we have trails on.  At some point it could be viewed that some of the far Western portion of the property could be threatened - pretty unlikely, but development will likely happen all around the preserve.

While it is good that there are people keeping an eye on any encroachment to the preserve I would like to not see an alarmist posting leading people to believe that a road will run right through the property and disrupt the trails - as this is not the case.

Please keep the postings within the boundaries of what they are.

Hillsborough County is dedicated to us having mountain bike trails on Balm-Boyette, so we are staying put and looking to finalize the last portion of new trails to make Boyette a premier biking destination.

Come on out and help us make it great.  We could use more manual help and less speculating.  This Saturday we meet at 8:45 a.m. for trail work.  Get involved and make this yet another jewel of a trail system; we can use the help!

Thanks,
Garry Rosseter
SWAMP Club President
BeerCan
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 11:49:33 AM »

Garry,
Sorry you feel this is alarmist but perhaps I should have explained this better.  First I never said this particular road would  "run right through the property and disrupt the trails "  I said it was a plan that "concerns boyette scrub" .  Second I provided as much relevant information as I could at this time (having misplaced some notes and maps) so people can make an informed decision.

There are of course multiple issues with any project.  I agree that the housing portion of this plan does not affect swamp in any way, it really comes down to the roads.  There are 2 or 3 of them on various "future" plans that can cause Boyette an issue.  One of them is attached to this plan and I feel that if approved it will "break the seal" so to speak.  Another is the so called Brandon bypass ( http://southshore2.tbo.com/content/2007/oct/27/ss-paving-in-preserves-opposed/?news ) issue which will not seem to die.

My view is that the developers have their eye on these properties.  They are looking for ways to exploit and bend the rules for their gain such as using existing railroad and powerline right of ways. We need to keep and eye on these issues so we can react if needed.  We could also just wait until the bulldozers arrive and try and address it then.

As I am being admonished for this by the president of swamp I will refrain from posting such "alarmist" issues in the future.

Respectfully,
Sean H.

SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »

Too close for comfort for me!     Angry

Check out the Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportaion Authority web site.  http://www.tbarta.com/ Read their plans and the description of this so called "Bradenton to East Hillsborough" bypass.  If that is not going through the middle of Boyette Preserve it is too darn close for me to seat here and not voice my opinion on it. 

Here is the direct to that so called "Master Plan" and notice the date on it is 2/18/2008 : http://www.tbarta.com/files/Initial%20Options_2008_02-19_sfs.pdf   I took that map and compared it to my GPS maps of recent rides.   (i have posted this before)  Here is what I see:

Hmmm.. in case you can't see the thumbnail, click on this one:  http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4889/transportationplansjpgsg9.jpg

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 02:05:20 PM »

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
BeerCan
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »

I hope that popcorn is on your diet  Wink

FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 02:36:02 PM »

haha

www.myspace.com/factore  - SMITE MAGNET
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 04:20:58 PM »

Too close for comfort for me!     Angry

Check out the Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportaion Authority web site.  http://www.tbarta.com/ Read their plans and the description of this so called "Bradenton to East Hillsborough" bypass.  If that is not going through the middle of Boyette Preserve it is too darn close for me to seat here and not voice my opinion on it. 

Here is the direct to that so called "Master Plan" and notice the date on it is 2/18/2008 : http://www.tbarta.com/files/Initial%20Options_2008_02-19_sfs.pdf   I took that map and compared it to my GPS maps of recent rides.   (i have posted this before)  Here is what I see:

Hmmm.. in case you can't see the thumbnail, click on this one:  http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4889/transportationplansjpgsg9.jpg

That is what I remeber seeing before. scares the poop out of me!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: