Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New trail named - Imp Gulch  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
New trail named - Imp Gulch
« on: October 28, 2006, 05:47:15 PM »
At todays Boyette workday we completed the first easier section of the new trail to be used for the Fat Tire Fest IMBA Epic ride on Saturday.

This is a fun trail that has easier options to the left, and the harder options stay to the right.  There a few places where both trails come back together as one only to split again.  A couple of the harder options are finished, but more work is needed to complete all of them.

It is about a half mile long as we have it now.  When all is said and done and the entire length completed it will be around 1 1/2 to 2 miles long.

This section is called Imp Gulch.  Imps are usually described as mischievous more than seriously threatening, and as lesser beings rather than more important supernatural beings.  This trail has mischevious curves, drops, climbs and humps for the harder options.  For the easier options one will be able to see riders on the harder options as they try to do battle with the Imp trail.  Sounds like fun, right?  It should be.

Anyway, it needs to be ridden in to pack the line, so enjoy.  Be warned though if you chose the harder option some climbs will be a challenge!!

To access it after riding the Abyss, or just going straight to it, it cuts in almost halfway up the two track parallel to the South Abyss near where the benches are.  You should see the orange tape where a rough cut path leads into it.

Garry
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:00:34 PM by Garry »

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: New trail named - Imp Gulch
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 06:21:28 PM »
Garry, I couldn't see the entrance to the Imp Gulch. Do you ride all of the Abyss?  Is it on the south abyss side along the two track as you ride the Abyss back in towards the front (west)? Also does the Imp Gultch  cut back in the same side  as the abyss or the side towards the field, which would be the south side of the  two track.
Rode Boyette today Nov 16 after the rain last night. Everything was packed real nice and the trails  ( lochness, spider berm, abyss, golfcart) were just about perfect. I saw some little loop  section (in and out) way back by the gate and also it looked like the grass was cut along the rear fence by the gate. Is that anything?
Also, when you are riding  the north side of the abyss and you come out on the two track road, you ride along  an old railroad  track section or elevated two track. Is all that land to the north of the  two track open for bike trails or is it off limits?  I remember years ago there were trails along the back ( east end) of the field that cut across from north to south. This was east of the current field trail. It was  nothing special but it was pretty back across there. Trees spread out and  it offered  a longer loop for the easy cross country riders.  Last time I rode it it was flat city  with the thorns. Probably 4 years ago. Anyways, Boyette has never been better. Sweeeeeeet!!!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:01:07 PM by Garry »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:36:06 PM »
The entrance to Imp Gulch is almost halfway up the two track south of the Abyss.  It should be flagged on the right heading East; plus it's mowed going under the trees there.  What I do is ride the North Abyss, cross the bridge, ride the South Abyss exiting to the left by the big white pipe then left on the two tracka little ways until I see where it cuts in to the right.  There are a couple of options - easier/harder - once you get in there.  I was hoping that the rain would make the trails awesome.  Sundays ride there should be great.  The grass was cut by the rear fence in anticipation of doing the Alafia/Boyette Epic last Saturday.  But we had a better access option so it wasn't used.
That area North of the two track from the North Abyss is available for trails, but with 23 miles of trail out there now and us about to add 1.5+ with the new section it gets to be a CHORE to maintain all of it.  I would like nothing more than to run a 30 mile ride out there, but I know just what it takes to keep it all open.  That levy two track used to be part of our regular trail out there.  It seems that there is just not enough time, man power, and machine to keep it mowed though.  Know anyone with a good rider that can help???
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:01:31 PM by Garry »

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:28:46 PM »
Something tells me this trail is a little more mischievous than a bunch of imps might suggest!

;)
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Advertisement: