Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Wasp stings; they suck!  (Read 1703 times)

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
Wasp stings; they suck!
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:30:34 PM »
A learned a harsh lesson while riding Boyette this past Tuesday morning. I got popped (and good) by a rather angry wasp while riding through the trail just after baby nessy or little nessy. I was on my way back to the parking lot, but still had quite a way to go before getting to my vehicle. I should mention that I am allergic to wasp stings. Needless to say, with miles to go before getting to any support, I immediately began to have a rather nasty reaction to the sting. Now, since I tend to be hard headed and rather stubborn at times  ;) I have, for years now, refused to carry an EpiPen. Well, I tell you brothers, no longer will I ride unprepared. After having my face swell up to the size of a small watermellon, for which I had to be treated with a shot in my a_s, antibiotics, and steroids, I am now the proud owner of a new EpiPen, and I vow to carry it in my camelback wherever I go. A word of advice, "If you're allergic to insect stings or are prone to Anaphylactic shock, then go see your Dr. and get yourslef a prescription. As I understand it, I was lucky, so far my reactions have not affected my breathing; however, each reaction to a sting gets worse. Oh yeah, the ride on my SS was great, and I can't wait ti ride this weekend; wasps, or no wasps!

Offline SamW

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • SWAMPER
Re: Wasp stings; they suck!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 04:30:55 PM »
I too have had a run-in with the wasp. A couple of years ago I was riding one of the ridge fingers at Loyce Harpe (Carter Road), clipped in and everything and a wasp flew up the back of my jersey and laid into me. Not good and definitly something I will never forget, luckely I was not allergic!
Gators, spiders, wasps, snakes, armadillos, hogs, rabbits, roots, mosquitos, inconsiderate bikers, hikers, joggers-----its all part of this great sport we love.
Addicted to MTB

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »
My daughter is allergic to peanuts so I know all about carrying an Epi-pen around.  Fortunately for us, she isn't super-allergic like you hear about in news stories, but if she were to eat a peanut, we'd have to use the pen and then take her to the emergency room for various other shots until the swelling goes down.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
makes me thankful, neither me nor my wife and kids are allergic to anything like that..allergic or not they hurt like Hades..glad your ok :)
My brother used to race motocross bikes at Dade City, and had a wasp go inside of his goggles and get him 3 times around his eye, before he could stop and flail around...lol it looked funny until I seen his face and it looked like he went 5 rounds with Mike Tyson in his hey...
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »
. After having my face swell up to the size of a small watermellon

lol

glad you made it out and are ok
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 08:38:52 PM »
I'm with ya slowy, a picture woulda been great. Unfortunately, I didn't think to snap a few before posting. Too late now; swelling is down considerably after the first day of prednisolone. Although a buddy of mine got a good laugh when I met him for coffee early this morning.  ;D

Offline hairball

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:17:36 PM »
While riding my motorcycle, I got one inside my full face helmet and it was stinging me on the back of the neck until I had a chance to pull over... It took 3 blocks to pull over, I will never ride with the shield up again.
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good   example.
   Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

Offline ECFoecking

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:21:27 AM »
Don't think because you aren't allergic to bess and wasps today that you cannot be tomorrow.  As I understand, the effect is long term cumulative and I know several folks that never reacted to a number of stings over the years almost die because they did not think another sting would bother them.  Anyone that is stung needs to be mindful of their symptoms ESPECIALLY if their breathing becomes affected.
Eric

Words can be your friends if you choose them wisely

Advertisement: