Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail conditions 5/20/2008  (Read 2633 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Trail conditions 5/20/2008
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:43:04 PM »
Boyette had some rain during the last 24 hours so I thought it was time to ride the TRUTH.   

SST  is riding much  much better. Where there used to be deep sugar sand it is still loose riding through there. I was the second rider
       through  so hopefully some of the loose stuff will berm up or get packed down.  Trail rode fast except for  the few areas.
Loch Ness -  Upper Loch Ness             - good condition.
Randy's Trail - loose sugar sand  in few areas
Golf Cart - still holding moisture when I rode it. Otherwise perfect condition.
North Abyss - a little wet on turns ond roots. Rode carefully because of wetness.
South Abyss -  not as many roots as North side, good pack, no problems anywhere.
Pandemonium -  just a little bit slick,  no problems really. The climb at the  end  was nice and packed.
Sidewinder --  pretty nice pack. The last 150 yards at the south end was wet with clay. Should be dry by Wenesday
                    if no other rain occurs. Carried some of that clay (packed in the tire  grooves and knobs and sidewalls)all the way
                    back to the parking lot. Reminded me of why  I don't like to ride after a rain. The extra weight was maxing the
                    old legs out.   :o
Spider Berm - a little bit wet, nice pack.   

Thats all that I took in.  No epic ride or anything. 12.8 miles for a quick afternoon easy ride. Average speed just over 10 mph. No breaks or stops, no camelback,spare tubes, wrenches, gps's , mp3's, internet access cell phones, gel shots, sport legs, ass cremes... none of that crap.   ;D Just me the bike and a little water. Consumed 1/2 of water bottle. I was there, I saw. Had a nice TRUTHful experience and lived to tell about it. Trails should be in primo shape for the rest of the week.  Thats my trail review,  the rain has worked its magic, now
Get out and ride. ;D   8)
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
Re: Trail conditions 5/20/2008
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »
Muchas gracias for the trail conditions report on Boyette; I plan to check it either tomorrow a.m. or late afternoon.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »
Great trail report Ells!

Not sure just yet what to do with that end of SWAMP THING and the clay in the rainy season.  We have some crushed shell that we could put down for a narrow track through there which may help a lot.  Those berm hills are all clay, so it may just have to be a seasonal trail?  Or one that closes for a day or two after a rain.  The South end of Sidewinder is in need of some help too.  Hopefully one of these workdays we can address that too.
Man, sounds like you had a good ride!  Wish I could been there to enjoy it too.  Probably this weekend for me!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:39:24 PM »
Boyette had some rain during the last 24 hours so I thought it was time to ride the TRUTH.   

SST  is riding much  much better. Where there used to be deep sugar sand it is still loose riding through there. I was the second rider
       through  so hopefully some of the loose stuff will berm up or get packed down.  Trail rode fast except for  the few areas.
Loch Ness -  Upper Loch Ness             - good condition.
Randy's Trail - loose sugar sand  in few areas
Golf Cart - still holding moisture when I rode it. Otherwise perfect condition.
North Abyss - a little wet on turns ond roots. Rode carefully because of wetness.
South Abyss -  not as many roots as North side, good pack, no problems anywhere.
Pandemonium -  just a little bit slick,  no problems really. The climb at the  end  was nice and packed.
Sidewinder --  pretty nice pack. The last 150 yards at the south end was wet with clay. Should be dry by Wenesday
                    if no other rain occurs. Carried some of that clay (packed in the tire  grooves and knobs and sidewalls)all the way
                    back to the parking lot. Reminded me of why  I don't like to ride after a rain. The extra weight was maxing the
                    old legs out.   :o
Spider Berm - a little bit wet, nice pack.   

Thats all that I took in.  No epic ride or anything. 12.8 miles for a quick afternoon easy ride. Average speed just over 10 mph. No breaks or stops, no camelback,spare tubes, wrenches, gps's , mp3's, internet access cell phones, gel shots, sport legs, ass cremes... none of that crap.   ;D Just me the bike and a little water. Consumed 1/2 of water bottle. I was there, I saw. Had a nice TRUTHful experience and lived to tell about it. Trails should be in primo shape for the rest of the week.  Thats my trail review,  the rain has worked its magic, now
Get out and ride. ;D   8)

glad you are back on the bike buddy - whoop whoop

Anthem1

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 09:31:32 PM »
Yeah that little spit of rain did wonders for the HOLE too :) Rode tonight with the Bionic Bunny and the surface was very fast. Indian and Gatorbait are like pavement with a few roots thrown in for entertainment value ;D

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »
I would never dare ride boyette without spare tubes again !!! thats to far of a walk. But thanks for the update I'll be out there tomorrow 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 10:13:10 PM »
Or at least a patch kit.  I always have that in case I use both of my extra tubes.  It happened before!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »
If you got a tube or  a patch kit, then you need air to go along with it. Too much. 'Thats for you!!!'   The walk at max is only 3 -4 miles. If its meant to be, its meant to be. Done it 2 -3 times. Broken frame, broken chain, flat with no tube (pre Stans days).  Besides, if your pushin the bike back in, its  the best chance one has to see the monsters that lurk back thar in them hills.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
If you got a tube or  a patch kit, then you need air to go along with it. Too much. 'Thats for you!!!'   The walk at max is only 3 -4 miles. If its meant to be, its meant to be. Done it 2 -3 times. Broken frame, broken chain, flat with no tube (pre Stans days).  Besides, if your pushin the bike back in, its  the best chance one has to see the monsters that lurk back thar in them hills.

We've missed your pragmatism Ells!! Welcome back!! ;D

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:21:04 AM »
Just havin' fun on the board. Never went anywhere, too lazy to post. Getting re-energised by riding again and poking the monkey.   :P
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:56:27 AM »
What ells you dont want a 20 pound pack on your back when you are dicing the single track?

Advertisement: