Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: hardest climb and why?  (Read 2815 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
hardest climb and why?
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
magic mountain at Santos

the big climb in pandemonium

other climb?  and why?

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: hardest climb and why?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
Last left hand turn climb on gatorback.. Tough lines and aproach.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »
i guess i will find that out saturday...going to give gatorback a go

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »
AMEN to the Climb on Gator Back.  there are a couple that are some nasty s<bleep>. Especially if you don't know when to expect them.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »
The final climb at mile 92-95 in the sm100.  I think that it is called hankey mountain.  It comes after the final sag stop and your feeling good because there is only 10 miles left and then some race organizer throws this cruel joke at you.  You just want to lay on the side of the mountain and wait for the buzzards to come get you.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:06 PM »
At Alafia:
1.  The climb in the beggining of Moonscape - the steep left and then right, especially when it is wet.  I sometimes run out of leg right at the top.
2.  The climb into Doom on Moonscape - that step, root thing gets me all the time now.  I've made that one once or twice when it was newer.
3.  The climb up to the high-line ridge on Moonscape - I've never made that one but came close a couple times. I run out of leg or spin out on a root about 2/3rd of the way up.
4.  The switchback climb with the bridge around the tree on Gatorback - I run out of leg right where my front tire hits the bridge.

At Carter:
1.  The climb out of Sneaky Snake - I spin out or just give up about half way up.

At Santos
1.  Its not exactly a climb, but on Rattlesnake the short climb with a left hand turn that leads to a rock that you have to either go over or around - I haven't made that it a while
2.  The climb up the back side of Magic Mountain can be tricky if damp
3.  A couple of the climbs in the beginning of John Brown when riding it from close to entrance to Bunny/past the Ant Hill get me sometimes especially when damp.
4.  At the begining part of Vortex, there's a climb that starts off with a 180 switchback and has some roots and rocks that I spin out on sometimes.

I haven't had much trouble with Magic Mountain lately even when taking the big bike.  It is just a grunter of a climb that I can usually motivate myself to make (even though I typically feel like my heart is going to explode right after.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 04:38:01 PM by BillT »
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »
The hardest for me is on the 2nd finger at Carter/Loyce just after the turnaround when riding it backwards. Normally, it's the big drop before the turnaround. Those doing the Trail-to-Trail series will probably get a go at it.
This is gonna hurt

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 07:00:16 PM »
Last climb on moonscape, it goes to the the ridge with the medium dropoff at the end.  I have never made it.  There is a new cheater line to the left of the big tree, but i am sticking with the right line up the root shelf, keepin it real.

Round Valley Resevoir in NJ has a climb that is almost 1.5 miles, it starts at the bottom of a huge damn and wraps all the way up a foothill.  Just when you are almost to the top, the climb levels and you think your done.  Then it turns steep, up into the trees, and the trail bed turns to rolling baby heads. 

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »
1. Locally, Pandemonium has that climb that for some reason I can't quite get. It's frustrating. I haven't ridden Gator Back since the remodel but I'm sure I'd get hung there as well. 2. In Colorado there is a section on my favorite trail that nearly kills me each time I do it. I've made it several times but its tough. Its more a fitness issue there though. Its over 9000 ft and has a bunch of switch backs on a very steep grade. Very difficult to maintain speed.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »
The switchback climb on gatorback before the tree bridge thingy is ridiculous, I'm usually so exhausted by the time I make it to the top that I have no balance to attempt the bridge, the penalty for error on that is to high.
Also the climb out of sneaky snake is a pain because it is usually loose and the tun before prevents any speed on approach.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
Thats one thing we really lack on the local trails. I was just thinking the other day that we should accesorize some of the climbs to make them harder to do.  That one section at the the end of rollercoaster that used to have some decent sized babyheads in the middle of the trail as you climb  and then do  the sweeping left turn, that section now is so easy it is calling out  for some obstacles. No, not logs, something else. I'm thinking rocks, dips and mounds. Little things that forces you to perform some articulation and still make the climb.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »
That was one of the things that I really liked about the trails at Dausett last week. There were a number of climbs that were full of rocks. They really kept your attention ;).

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 10:57:59 PM »
Will talk with Art about it. If you hadn't heard, he likes rocks.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 11:22:31 PM »
Ya know!   I think I have heard that somewhere! :-\ ;D

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 07:20:44 AM »
I think another good place to add rocks to a climb would be the climb out of the little loop at the back of roller coaster. 

Advertisement: