Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cleaned the Vortex!  (Read 2741 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Cleaned the Vortex!
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »
I was pretty happy today. I finally got a full lap clean on the Vortex at Santos! I've been close before but couldn't pull it all together until today. The second lap I one tapped though. :(
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Anthem1

Re: Cleaned the Vortex!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »
That's freaking crazy!!!!!!!!!! You are a bike NINJA :) Congrats. Last time I rode up there I started counting dabs but ran out of fingers :'(

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »
that is great - I am no where near close to cleaning that or even riding any of the rock gardens in that section...great job.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
What options did you take, board bridges, etc?

That's an impressive feat any way you swing it. I've done everything on Vortex, but never all in the same ride :-X
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »
Thanks guys. I've had one section that has been kinda a mental block for me, we all refer to it as my nemisis. I've nailed it 3 out of the last 4 times I've rode it though. There are so many places in there that can get ya, I was thinking about it towards the end but didn't want to say anything to jinx it. Felt good when I was done, it deserved a beer!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:18:07 PM »

That's an impressive feat any way you swing it. I've done everything on Vortex, but never all in the same ride :-X

Not sure what you mean? I don't ride any of the narrow bridges, risk/reward not worth it to me. I rode on top off both the big rocks in the middle part.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »
I agree with you Jason, those skinny things are for those who don't no there own mortality. Those rocks give me a fit, I get all pumped tp ride them, and then I see them and walk right over them. I think if I was wearing a bubble wrap suit I could ride right over them.

Great job! I love that loop!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »
I agree with you Jason, those skinny things are for those who don't no there own mortality. Those rocks give me a fit, I get all pumped tp ride them, and then I see them and walk right over them. I think if I was wearing a bubble wrap suit I could ride right over them.

we need to go out there with the knee/elbow pads and give those rocks a go

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »

we need to go out there with the knee/elbow pads and give those rocks a go

Bubble wrap!

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »

Not sure what you mean? I don't ride any of the narrow bridges, risk/reward not worth it to me. I rode on top off both the big rocks in the middle part.

I agree, when I said I rode everything, I forgot all about the board bridges over the gullies. I think I might try some of them tomorrow, though. You only live once! ;D

You only die once, too :-X

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
I'm pretty decent on that practice skinny in the skills area, but clipped in on the 3" one on the trail is more than I care for. I took a nasty hit awhile back on one of the ladder bridges also, like I said, risk/reward. Being a flat rate tech makes you think about things like that sometimes. :o

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 10:40:44 PM »
Well, my g/f is going to be there with a camera. It may very well be a "Hey Yall, watch this" moment ::)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 11:06:04 PM »
Bryan good to ride with you and Kevin today.  I'm still 15%/85% making that climb. Dang!  Last time I rode that lower section there was a water moccasin laying in the middle of the trail.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 09:13:50 PM »

On my second lap through the Vortex today, I excersized another demon and rolled over the rock gardens that I used to walk over ;D. Only a couple of dabs for the hole loop :).  If I could just deal with that uphill bridge, I keep looking off to the side :P.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »
As long as the uphill bridge is dry, it is not much of problem...in the wet in can be tricky to climb if your tires aren't up to the task.  The rock garden is really just mental...get some speed and you are up and over it before you know it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: