Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: My wife conquered Northcreek.  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
My wife conquered Northcreek.
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »
I know it isn't the hardest trail out there, but my wife was able to ride 99% of Northcreek with only one minor crash AND she was able to keep up with a fairly decent pace.  Prior to this weekend's ride the toughest trails she has ridden were at Boyette...pretty much every trail except Abyss and Pandemonium.  I couldn't be happier and she is very proud of her accomplishment.  She was a bit intimidated by some of the descents on the trail, but once she bombed down them she realized just how fun/fast they are.  HUGE thanks to John and Jose for giving her the heads-up on the trail and for cheer her on. 

On a semi-related note, on Saturday I was finally able to clear that climb on Bridges right before the whoopty-doos (or whatever they are called).  My last attempts were probably about 8-months ago and I was never able to clear it.  Not sure if it was the bike (29er SS rigid) or my increased physical ability or possibly both, but it felt great to finally clear that climb.  Of course the celebration was short lived when my chain popped off the front chain ring approximately 3/4 of the way up the ascent on the first whoop.  Good times.

So overall it was a great weekend for the dynamic duo.  Only a few more weeks till I send her down Gatorback (kidding). 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:14:47 PM by Alan »

Anthem1

Re: My wife conquered Northcreek.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »
They call that climb pavers, it can be tough. Right now it is in the best shape I remember with the first paver almost level with the ground, it used to sit up and teeter totter :P making for even more of a challenge.

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »
That is great that you and your wife was able to accomplish something you could not do before.  A lot of it is mental.  Keep on trying.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:27:53 PM »
I well remember struggling through North Creek, and trying to eventually do the trail without having to take a brake (and it was easier back then!). That trail is an excellent benchmark for measuring your abilities.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline megstr

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 12:15:51 PM »
Congrats to both you and your wife on a good day of riding  :)

I can relate to your problems with the pavers section of Bridges, I had a tough time too.  Overall I think it took me about 4 tries before I conquired it.  I was relying a little too much on momentum from the down hill (losing a lot of it in that turn), and then finally went at it straight on in a lower gear & had my glory day too!
*Celebrate we will, cause life is short, but sweet for certain*

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »
Congrats to your wife, North Creek is a tough trail. It was my first trail I ever rode, nice of my "friends" to take me on North Creek first huh?

The paver climb on Bridges is fun and I'm sure it took most of us a couple of tries to get it. My first time making it I felt on top of the world. I recently conquered the climb on Shelly's loop (?) off of Bridges and am setting my sights on the climb on Pandemonium. I made it to the top of Pandemonium but fell over before I could officially make it.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 08:57:41 AM »
Years ago I took my wife to flatwoods in order to ride the paved loop. She told me of the adventures she had as a kid riding bikes in campgrouds and on family vacations so I thought to myself, this might be something we can do together for fun and exercise. Was a really hot day out at flatwoods but she still seemed to be enjoying herself. Might have had something to do with the fact that I had recently presented her with a big comfy purple Schwinn with beach cruiser handlebars and 6 speeds in the rear (she was unaware that I got it for free). She had recently bought me a $400 Mongoose folding mtb bike from University Bike Shop for our first or second anniversary.At the time I thought it was high end so yes, I was very happy with it. After all Mongoose was the s*$t when I was a kid.
So we are zipping along having a good time when I noticed that they had off-road trails. At first I thought the idea of mtb in Florida was a little silly but then I looked down at my new bike and thought to myself that it would be ashame to let all this high end technology go to waste on the pavement. Said to wife "you want to ride one of those trails". I could tell she wasn't interested but my face must have been so filled with excitement that she agreed. I was having a blast until we hit the soft sand. I think she was just putting up with it for my benefit. Anyway, we were so far in that I kept thinking there must be an outlet coming up very soon. There wasn't, and we ran out of water a while back. We finally ended up back on the paved loop but were so turned around that it took us a while to get back to the parking lot.
Point of this long ass story is......... wife's Schwinn hung in the garage from that day forward never to be riden again (I'd ask her to ride every few months or so but always got the same response, or rather facial expression). None of my buddies had mtb bikes so my super high end Mongoose also hung in the garage along side of hers. Few years later I tried to get into mtb biking but I very quickly recognized that a folding bike wasn't intended for off-road riding. Sold it on ebay and bought a Giant Yukon hard tail. Wife comes home to me assembling my new rig. She says "what's that for.....where is the bike I got for you"? I think you can figure out the rest of the story.
So appreciate the fact that your wife rides with you. Appreciate her more since she is good at at it to boot. Some of us would kill for that.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
Or some of us who do everything with the Mrs. appreciate the fact they don't

Offline Darren

• First Bike
  • Got Dirt?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
That's awesome that you are riding with your wife... heck, I searched for YEARS to find a gal that was interested in Mountain Biking... to no avail. I eventually, just gave up.

:-\
Got Fat Tire?

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
That's awesome that you are riding with your wife... heck, I searched for YEARS to find a gal that was interested in Mountain Biking... to no avail. I eventually, just gave up.

You are leaving me no hope... I am currently in search of said woman... Though I do enjoy my own company and I do have numerous animals....hm?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline SamW

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • SWAMPER
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »
Addicted to MTB

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »

+1 on that.  Hell, even my "trick" of falling over on them out on the trails didn't work...LOL.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »
I know it isn't the hardest trail out there, but my wife was able to ride 99% of Northcreek with only one minor crash

cool dude, i'm also lucky that my wife loves XC riding with me(She's all girl too), hell she can outride most of my boys.. Cheers my man!

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:28:34 AM »
North Creek is a really good trail and it's deceptively hard. Some great flowing XC stuff and then you get blasted with roots or a stepped descent. About a month ago, I finally rode it without stopping. Now each time I hope to improve my time/efficiency out there.
My wife rides with me as well and pretty much rides the same stuff I do. However, she doesn't have that male component that responds to name-calling challenges which makes her a bit smarter and safer than me.  ;)

Advertisement: