Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: My first time "racing" the Loop  (Read 1870 times)

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
My first time "racing" the Loop
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:56:39 PM »
So I got my Vetta bike computer hooked up so I decided to try for base line run on the loop just to see where im at. I was actually very impressed with my time since 1. this was after a 8hr work day ( not behind a desk. )  2. this was only my 3rd time riding the loop and 3. My shifter for my rear cog broke about 3 miles short of the end so I was essentially riding a single speed for the last 3 miles.
My time was 1:20.12 with a average speed of 10.6 mph. next i'll try for 11 average mph.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: My first time "racing" the Loop
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:19:17 PM »
maybe I should mention this was solely the main trail using bayshore and coconut grove at the end. 14.2 miles

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »
Nice speed! Now that you have a baseline it should be easy to see week to week improvements.

I generally run anywhere between 1:10 and 1:15 depending on how many spandex clad 'racers' going the opposite direction I stop for  ;)

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »
Yea I was lucky not to run into anyone at all, when I rode on Sunday I saw more spandex then a womens aerobic class.
unfortunately I can't ride anymore until I get a a pair of shifters. but next time I'll also have the Reba team installed as well, should make managing the roots alittle easier.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »
so a "loop" is essentially "main", all the way around?
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Anthem1

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:56:37 PM »
Yeah, but just like cookin you have to spice it up with a pinch of Gatorbait and a Dash of Injun ;D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »
Yeah, but just like cookin you have to spice it up with a pinch of Gatorbait and a Dash of Injun ;D

those trails make for a better ride but if you are timing the "main" loop - they are not in the mix

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »
I just got back from doing my version of the "loop"..and I start at the hole in the fence, and take Gatorbait to Injun :D to main, back into Techno pig, and out through piglet back to main..down heart break ridge, and across Morris Bridge road into the trails on the other side, then I just follow all of them all the way to coconut grove..
I haven't had my computer in forever, but last time, I checked it was just under 20 miles total, like 19.4 and my normal two breaks aside, I generally clear it in about 1 hour 50-55 minutes..thats only taking main, when necessary to get from one trail to the other...today took longer but I rode a really relaxed pace today..

I'm needing some elevation change but my riding homie, is a noob and is still scared of hills, and I can't seem to convince him he's a big boy now and can handle them.. :p
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »

I did a calculation figuring his average speed and time, it came out to just over 14 miles which is the approx. length of the main trail all of the way around. That is some pretty good speed. Keep at it. Those trails get much more fun when you go faster.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »

I did a calculation figuring his average speed and time, it came out to just over 14 miles which is the approx. length of the main trail all of the way around. That is some pretty good speed. Keep at it. Those trails get much more fun when you go faster.

just beat 11.7 and a whole new world opens up...hehe

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
I'd love to try again but trying to assemble this shifter is a pain, found out nothing broke but the nut inside that holds EVERYTHING together came lose and trying to assemble it with all the little springs and washers is ridiculous.

Advertisement: