Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Anybody ride a Intense Spider XVP  (Read 9528 times)

Anthem1

Anybody ride a Intense Spider XVP
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:50:34 PM »
While searching for my next dream bike, I keep coming back to this one. Has anyone had any saddle time on one? I see A.J.'s is an authorized Intense dealer.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Anybody ride a Intense Spider XVP
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 11:35:37 PM »
I have no experience on the Spider but I absolutely love my Uzzi.  Intense makes really great race bikes (be it XC or DH) with excellent geometry.  The only issues they have which is similar to other smaller manufacturers is that you sometimes have to wait until they make what you want.  If I had unlimitted funds, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Intense (or two).
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:35:14 AM »
Scott,
Talk to Wes.  I think he has one of these and has been riding it for a few years now.  If not, AJ's had one of those frames for months hung up on their wall.  An order that a customer changed his mine.  It was pretty sick looking.  The one which is bear metal with no pain job (to save weight)... it was very light.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
Anthem,

Wes rides a 5.5 which is longer travel than the spider and a bit more relaxed in the geometry.  That was the other bike I considered when I bought my Ells.  The Spider and the 5.5 are available in the FRO style that shave a little weight and the head angle on the Spider gets half a degree steeper.  5.5 is same geometry both ways. A guy named Dave rides an orange Spider FRO most sunday club rides, he likes it.  Are you looking for a race, trail or big hit bike?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:22:22 PM »
That is Wes's second 5.5. I can't remember exactly when, but sometime in the past 6 months or so he cracked the frame and it was replaced under warranty. It was done reasonably quickly and free of charge. His indication to me was that he was very satisfied with that bike.

Anthem1

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »
This will be primarily a XC race bike, but will serve for trail riding as well. I like the idea of 4 inches of travel and a slightly more relaxed head angle compared to the Anthems steep 72 degree angle. the Anthem is great but a little hairy on techy decents like those found at Santos. For that reason I would not want to go the FRO route :)

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:52:27 AM »
I think you will be hard pressed to find a bike that will be as snappy as your athem and be a true trail bike.  A spider will replace an anthem but serve the same basic roll.  Look into the 5.5 FRO, Ells Epiphany, Turner 5 spot, Chumba XCL and the new Blur LT and I think you will find the compliment you are looking for.  These frames can be built  light 25-28 lbs and will pedal nearly as well as your current ride on the flats with the ability to go faster into sketchy territory and take epic enduros in comfort.  If you want to roll faster through flatwoods and croom check out the Fisher Superfly for a different dimention. 

anyone got change for a nickle?

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 01:27:08 AM »
I think he just wants a not so high-strung race bike more so than a non-pig trail bike.  The HT angle on the Spider is a degree slacker than the Anthem's so that will slow the steering down some instill some greater confidence on the downhills.  A Ventanna El Saltamontes is another nice choice - a degree slacker head angle than the Spider, standard 4" travel and option to add a different rocker to up the travel to 5 or 6 inches, and another option for quad bearings in the main pivot for increased stiffness.  Also the new Trance or Trance X might be a nice option as well at a lower price point than anything we've discussed so far.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 07:31:55 AM »
Have you looked at any of the Cannondales? A Rush or a Rize sounds like it would fit what you want to do very well. What decents at Santos were you having troubles with?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:24:14 AM »
I will be working at Bent`s in lakeland on sat can show you the c-dales(my favorite),Giants,Specialized,and all the other lines and benefits

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
You can slack up you head angle by installing a longer stroke fork. But it may look a little silly and void some warranties.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:40:28 PM »
the reviews on that Chumba are very good...and the price is right too

""The (5 inch travel) XCL feels extremely responsive when pedaled, yet absorbs everything in its path ... it literally turns circles around any other bike out there. Riders climb so well on the CHUMBA because of the perfect steering control and a rear end that refuses to break loose. It is hard to get over just how brilliant the design is." The European magazine Velo Vert said: "The CHUMBA outperforms the Ellsworth Epihphany and feels much more vigorous. -While coming in at $1,000 less than the Ellsworth! At the price the CHUMBA is offered for, it is one of the best values on the market today."

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
You can slack up you head angle by installing a longer stroke fork. But it may look a little silly and void some warranties.

That may be the cheapest option...get something like a TALAS and you can probably slacken your head angle 1 - 2 degrees from what you have on the fly by adjusting the travel.  You can keep you current fork for race days, and pop in the TALAS (or even just a regular Float if you want) for play days out at Santos.

The Chumba is nice, but I think it is somewhat heavy and overbuilt for what he's looking for and call me shallow, but I think it is kinda an ugly looking frame though I find Chumba's EVO frame attractive.  The price is certainly nice on the Chumba.

Anthem1

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 01:03:53 PM »
Riding a steep head angle makes the rear end VERY light!!! If your front wheel hangs for an instant your SCREWED :' The difference between my Anthem and Trance(only 1 and 1/2 degree difference) is Huge. You can never relax riding the Anthem which is good and bad depending on the occasion :)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
my El Santo is 71 degrees and it handled like a dream in the mountains if GA and handles great on gator back and moonscape

I know that the biggest difference I noticed between my old blur LT with 140mm fox fork and the new bike is that it is way easier to negotiate at flatwoods and places where you have to turn a lot.  It is also way easier on switchbacks. 

I guess the biggest thing is what you are wanting the bike for.  racing or trail riding.

Advertisement: