Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trails in Pisgah/Dupont NC area.  (Read 1943 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Trails in Pisgah/Dupont NC area.
« on: June 03, 2008, 07:32:39 AM »
Hoping to head up there next weekend, but have never ridden in that area before. Anyone been there that can point out some great trails? The plan is to leave Thursday morning, stay in Blue Ridge GA that night and do a night ride near there. Friday morning head over to Ocoee TN and ride there during the day. From there we will head to Bryson City NC and do a night ride at Tsali. Saturday we'd like to head up to either the Pisgah or Dupont area and do some exploring and find some trials there. Sunday we plan on riding the right and left loop at Tsali. Come home Monday. Should be a great weekend of riding!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline hairball

• Huffy Rider
Re: Trails in Pisgah/Dupont NC area.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 07:45:41 AM »
If you can, Try to get a ride in on Thompson loop at Tsali, I was surprised that it ended up being one of my favorites.
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good   example.
   Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)

Luis

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:08:58 AM »
I would skip Tanasi, Dupont and Tsali but that's just me...Pisgah could keep you busy for months...

When you get up there, go to any shop and get the Trails Illustrated #780 map (Sycamore Cycles is good, so is Backcountry Outdoors).  Pick a trail, have fun.

What kind of ride are you looking for? All day epic? Rack your brain, lower your seat descent? An hour climb? Beginner loop?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:14:28 AM by Luis »

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:26:05 AM »
Luis is the man.... he knows some of those trails and can even give you a route with trail names based on the type of ride you want.  Turn by turn no less....  8)

I've only ridding the ones he suggested to skip  :'( so I can't offer any suggestions  ;D ;D ;D

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:28:50 AM »
Dupont is some nice riding. there is a trail that you ride on a granite face for miles! sweet on the downhill! worth stoping!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »
We have a good friend that has a cabin right by Tsali, so we like to stop there for a day. We usually ride Thompson for a night ride Hairball, it is a real good trail for a night ride.

Luis. We are all pretty advanced riders, not looking to try to kill ourselves though. Probably like to do a morning ride and an afternoon ride with a stop for lunch in between. I guess you'd call us aggressive cross-country/all-mountain or whatever new catch word they have now. Not sure if I want to lower my seat or not, but then again I've never run into anything I've needed to do that yet. We ride and clean everything at Santos, Alafia, Carter Rd to try to give you a reference for skill level.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Luis

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:53:40 PM »
We ride and clean everything  at Santos, Alafia, Carter Rd to try to give you a reference for skill level.

C'mon don't lie... Here's some general routes (you need the map!) that will give you a taste of Pisgah (big climbs/big descent)

1) Black Mountain Trail

Park across the Davidson River Day use area (right side of Hwy 276 at Black mountain trailhead). Head west on Hwy 276 > Right on FS 477 > Right on Clawhammer Rd (behind the horse stables) > Right on Maxwell Cove to Presseley Gap(Intersection of Black Mountain Trail #127 on the map) > Right on Black Mountain Trail all the way down to the car.

That is a good shorter ride with ~7miles of gravel road climbing, a short hike a bike to the top and a sweeeet 3 mile descent back to the car.

2) Laurel Mountain / Pilot Rock
This is a bit of a longer ride.  Park at the bridge after the North Mills Campground > Head up Yellow Gap Rd. (FS 1206) to the Laurel Mountain Trailhead (It climbs for the first couple of miles and then begins to descend, keep your eyes open for the TH on your right!) > Up Laurel Mountain Trail (7 mile singletrack climb, not very steep except a hike a bike section) > Right on Laurel Mtn. Connector > Right on Pilot Rock (Very rocky and steep be safe!) > Left on FS 1206 back to the car.

This ride can easily be extended see some super detailed directions here: http://www.mtngoatepics.com/laurelmtntoslaterock.htm

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
 ??? Why would I lie? I don't do the big drops at Santos, that is for crazy people with good insurance! ;D

Thanks for the tips on the trails. Those were 2 I was looking at on mtbikewnc.com. Pretty good site.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »
If you decide to go to DuPont, make sure you hit the Burnt Mountain trail.  It had been closed for some time due to sustainability issues, was just rebuilt and re-opened.  It is one of my favorite trails in the area.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »
I would recommend Pisgah as well but if you want to see some really great sights I would recommend Dupont, not a real big fan of Tsali nice trails, but a bit overrated.  There are atleast 93 miles of trail on Dupont some climbing, but nothing compared to Pisgah. 
Gears??? We don't need no STINKING GEARS!!!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »
Dupont is over by Brevard right?

Luis

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 09:09:42 AM »
Dupont is over by Brevard right?

http://www.dupontforest.com/maps.asp

It's a beautiful place no doubt...

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 09:53:44 AM »
Ok, thanks again guys!

Advertisement: