Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Whats at boyette?  (Read 6232 times)

Offline mg777

• First Bike
Whats at boyette?
« on: November 02, 2006, 12:41:30 AM »
I'm thinking of heading out to boyette.  What kind of trails are there?  Any rolling hills, steep downhills,  twisty turns and what not?  Also,  anyone know where to get a hold of a map for boyette?  From my reading I get the impression this place is a little tamer than some of the more extreme stuff at alafia.  thinking of taking my bro out here to get him riding again after some gnarly spills at alafia,  but I'd like to get some nice drops and what not to get the blood flowin!  Thanks...

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Re: Whats at boyette?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 08:10:01 AM »
All of those things are at Boyette.  Make sure you ride this area with a partner and bring plenty of water.  It's 2 miles from the parking area to the trails.  East Meadow, with it's long rolling bumps (no real hills in Florida), offers a good workour challange...

Have fun out there, Boyette is a great area to ride.  The club will have a ride there Sunday Nov 12. 9:00 am

Look in the box at the kiosk, you might get lucky and find a printed trail map there. *

* note that SWAMP club members have access to trail maps directly from these forums. use the private message link to the left and let me know if you are a SWAMP club member.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:13:28 AM by Forum Manager »
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 08:17:57 AM »
As a member of SWAMP you can download maps of the different trails from here.
The East side of Boyette has more challenging trails, yet not quit as much so as Alafia.  But you still need to have your skills up for some of them.
The Abyss is almost two miles of technical drops and climbs - weight back, easy on that front brake!
The newest trail just South of Abyss is Imp Gulch - it has easier/harder options and the easier is complete with some of the harder options still in need of being finished.
NorthWest, Southwest, Northeast, Southeast is what we call the Quadrant Trails has all the switchbacks you would ever want.  There's about 8 or 10 miles worth.
Grab a map and enjoy.

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 03:26:05 PM »
I'm thinking of heading out to boyette.   thinking of taking my bro out here to get him riding again after some gnarly spills at alafia,

Well, let us know how it goes/went!  We're interested in knowing what you both decided to do.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline mg777

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 07:03:54 PM »
Will do.   Thanks for the info!

Offline mg777

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 06:27:44 PM »
Went to boyette about 1.5 weeks ago.  I was quite impressed with the scenery and riding.  We rode the SST to wet our beaks on the way in.  Then to upper, baby, and inner lochness and onto the more steep downhill in the back.  I beleive we rode th abyss although I never saw much signange.  There was one steep descent we didnt want to attempt,  it had a sign in front saying 'very difficult trail' and the trail itself had some concrete lattice work holding the dirt in place.  I didnt try this on my rigid bike, figure Ill come back with my new ride for that.  The other stuff back there was fun and steeper than I had expected.  We'll be going back here to hit east meadow and just to check the place out again. 

Offline KJ-Renegade

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 05:26:36 PM »
Look in the box at the kiosk, you might get lucky and find a printed trail map there. *

* note that SWAMP club members have access to trail maps directly from these forums. use the private message link to the left and let me know if you are a SWAMP club member.
Sorry this is tread old. But I when out today and rode there for the first time and I didnt see any map there on the board. Is their anyway someone scan a map and PM the info. I want to go again to the trails,but I would like to know where the area are to ride.
Today I took at long strech way, I mean long and I thought for sure I was lost, then I found a left or right trail. So I took right but ending up going the same direction from the 2 mile trail from the parking lot. So I had to turn around and then found the main parking lot. Can anyone help me here?? Ohh, I did see one of the Swamp member with the red pickup truck unloading thier bikes when I got back to the parking lot finally. lol!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 05:28:52 PM by KJ-Renegade »

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 07:29:51 PM »
If you are a member of SWAMP you can download the maps for free from the SWAMPclub.org site or the Yahoogroups site.  I forget which now but it's in there.  The maps for Boyette are being updated to reflect the new trails and Hillsborough County will then print brochure maps up to stock in the box at the kiosk.  Sorry for the delay - they are coming!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 08:07:43 AM »
KJ,
PM me your email address and I"ll email you one.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
Garry, are the maps on our site current? Just wondering.
                                                       Ken
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 07:12:39 AM »
Garry, are the maps on our site current? Just wondering.
                                                       Ken

The maps are current for what we have.  The new trails at Boyette aren't quite finished yet so they don't show on the map, but a new one is coming soon along with new signs with designation of trail difficulty - green circle, blue square, black diamond.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 04:46:19 PM »
Thanks Garry. :)
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 08:30:58 PM »
How are the trails at Boyette? Have the trees been cleared? Might go out there this weekend and wondering how it is.  :)
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 08:59:09 PM »
How are the trails at Boyette? Have the trees been cleared? Might go out there this weekend and wondering how it is.  :)

It has become a difficult thing to get the trees removed because they require a chainsaw and a permit to use one on County Property for volunteers if County doesn't actually do it.  They asked for a map of where the trees were, but then wanted GPS coordinates on the map I provided as well, SO, hopefully one of our trail stewards was/is able to get out there this week and clear them.  I think an impromptu workday MIGHT be on the 10th during the Squiggy Classic.  Don't quote me on that though.  :-)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 10:14:13 PM »
I can get you gps coordinates if you need them.  I ride boyette at least 2x a week and always have my gps with me.  The only trees down I am still aware of are in 3 of the 4 quadrants.  I cleared some stuff last week that was going to poke out someones eye but it was relatively minor.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Advertisement: