Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Attention All Tuesday Afternoon Hole Ridders!  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Attention All Tuesday Afternoon Hole Ridders!
« on: June 04, 2008, 06:08:08 PM »
When you guys ride, do you do the whole flat woods loop or just the trails on the MB side? I am going to try and ride twice a week after work and dont know if I can do the whole loop every time. What kind of mileage would i get doing the following course?

Hole entrance to misery
misery to gator bait
gator bait to misery
misery to indian
indian to powerlines to washboard
washboard back to technopig
technopig to hogwild
hogwild to grandpa
grandpa to palmetto turn around back to grandpa
grandpa to main (speedway)
main back out to the hole

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Attention All Tuesday Afternoon Hole Ridders!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
I would estimate around 8 or so miles. :-\ I think Sandpine might have a better feel for it, as he will sometimes just ride around on that side prior to the 6 p.m. ride.  We usually incorporate all of those trails as well as others and then cross over into Flatwoods. We will usually include Panther and then back throught Trout Creek. You can vary the route so many different ways. You can really make that ride into as many miles as you want.

(I noticed that you left out Heartbreak Ridge!?)

Anthem1

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:28:58 PM »
You gotta hit the Heart Breaker ;D It along with Gator and Indian are probably the best riding trails out there right now due to there firm base(read no sand)

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:22:19 PM »
heartbreak kills my cheap fork everytime (or is it my 260lbs? maybe both). I may throw it in, but I am trying not to beat the S*** out of my bike since I will be traveling to NY at months end and riding some trails there:

http://www.victormtbc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=130&Itemid=146

I ride a slower pace so throwing all those trails in plus the loop would get me back at 10pm....  ;D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »
don't worry about heartbreak - it is one of my least favorite trails...roots for the sake of roots....i like flying down the main trails personally

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »
The beating you are putting on your fork with Gator Bait, Indian and Techno pig is way more then what you get out of HartBreaker.  So you can't use that excuse.  Add it!   ;)   Your loop may be closer to 9/10 miles since you are repeating misery and sections of grampa.  The north east portions of Hogwild are probably the worse in sand.  Instead add SyncHole, palmetto and the west side of Hogwile (enchanted).  The less you stay on Main the less sand you will see.

I would recommend you do a loop using GatorBait, Indian, Hartbreak then Flatwoods.  You can bypass sections of Flatwoods, then take the Levi and paved road back.  You can also bypass Eubanks and take 1800 streight to pave rd and then the Y.  That will keep your loop within 12 miles.  As you get faster and stamina up on that, you can start adding a few more trails specially Panther which to me is HartBreak x 2 as far as root beating your shoulders.

I been double dipping for a while.  Usually stick to main on first loop clockwise, then do ALL trails counterclockwise with group.  I end up with 30'ish starting at 4:30/445 and out by 8:15.  Would like to start doing 40'ish now starting at 4pm if I don't have technical problems as I did yesterday at the start.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:42:03 PM by SandPine »

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 09:50:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Sandpine. I did a loop starting at trout creek on moday that incuded all of flatwoods including panther (not squiggy), I hopped on washboard off of main to grandpa to main out the hole to bayshore and coconut grove and it my computer was right at 19 miles. had some sandy spots, but not really bad.  my legs are still a little sore and it took right around 2.5 hours.

I may cut out some of flatwoods and add indian and gator bait like you said. Heartbreak is WAY more rooty than panther, technopig, indian and gatorbait. I think it is because all the roots are clumped in a 200 yard streach!   

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 09:43:46 PM »
don't worry about heartbreak - it is one of my least favorite trails...roots for the sake of roots....i like flying down the main trails personally

Riding those roots for the sake of roots will make you handle your bike better. What's next? Avoid bumps? ;D

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 09:48:18 PM »
I'm not a big fan of heartbreak but I do right it for the practice.

Advertisement: