Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New to it!  (Read 1809 times)

Offline RyanFDLE

• Huffy Rider
New to it!
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »
So I went out clipless today. I ended up falling 2x on my side it was pretty crazy. Anyone here who goes clipless have any hints on getting better with them? Im kinda scared to do gator back with them on any hints on how to get better with them? (yes I know practice)  :P

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: New to it!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »
practice - you got it...there is no magic formula

if you can adjust the tension..make them loose in the begginging them tighten them more as you get better

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »
once you get used to them you will NEVER go back, I feel naked when I ride without them

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »
My advice was going to be to purposely a couple of times with them, but you've passed that step.

The only other way I got better was like FACTORe said, practice. Just learn to clip in and out without looking down, making it second nature. Try and do track-stands and balance for as long as possible, when you lose the balance either pedal out, unclip, or fall.

It took me 2-3 rides to get used to them and they make riding much much easier and nicer.

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »
Ride, RIDE and RIDE some more.  BTW, did you fall in front of a group?  If not, ride with a big group and fall.  They will not let you live it down.  Almost everybody has fallen. :o
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »
Ride, RIDE and RIDE some more.  BTW, did you fall in front of a group?  If not, ride with a big group and fall.  They will not let you live it down.  Almost everybody has fallen. :o

And, naturally, when you ride with a group that is the one time you fall in the parking lot or in one of the dumbest places to fall. It never fails.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
So I went out clipless today. I ended up falling 2x on my side it was pretty crazy. Anyone here who goes clipless have any hints on getting better with them? Im kinda scared to do gator back with them on any hints on how to get better with them? (yes I know practice)  :P

After you fall enough times from not clipping out, it will become second nature...I promise.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:26:37 AM »
I would agree with adjusting the tension. make it lose and once you get used to clipping in and out, tighten them back up some, but not too tight. It took me about 5-6 rides to really get used to them but now I would not ride without them. 

Offline RyanFDLE

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
what do you guys mean by making it loose?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
there is a screw that lets you adjust the tension on the spring. turn counter clock wise (I think)  to make the spring tension looser.

Offline Paragonman

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »
Practice track standing on grass. That'll teach ya how to get out quick without much pain.
This is gonna hurt

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:56:58 PM »
Practice track standing on grass. That'll teach ya how to get out quick without much pain.

True, but abrasions build character ;)!

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 07:55:12 AM »
I have one of the best embarrassment stories for this.  I was just getting back into riding and new to clipless.  I went to Alafia with a buddy and met up with some "A" level riders (guys I knew).  While everyone was getting their bikes ready in the parking lot, I decided to practice clipping in and out.  I was pedaling up the little side hill by the bike wash.  I was deliberately riding slow to the top and purposely stalling out to force myself to unclip or fall.  I fell.  I didn't just do the typical flop.  I somehow fell to my left and did a barrel roll down the hill.  I made a complete roll.  If I was in the circus I could have landed back on my wheels, as I was still clipped in!  Hell of an ice breaker.  "Hey guys!  who brought the circus clown?"  (thought I smelled cabbage).  I can honestly say, that I have fallen enough times from being clipped in, that it has become my #1 concern when attempting new trail features.  I guess that doesn't say much for my "skills".  Oh well :-[
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Advertisement: