Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Another chain question  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Another chain question
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »
How often do you replace the chain on your mountain bike? I've been told that I should wear out about two to four chains before the cassette needs replacing. Does that sound about right?

I think I may have left the old chain on for a bit too long, because the new one isn't coupling with the cassette as well as I would like. I figure I'll give it another 50-75 miles to see if it couples  better before getting a new cassette.

Thanks for the advice.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Another chain question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:01:28 PM »
I usually replace the cassette and the chain at the same time.  They typically wear together at a similar pace and kinda get 'married' to each other so that a new chain typically won't work as nicely with the old cassette as the old chain did.  That said, I usually replace my chain and cassette about once a year per bike, but I also split my riding up between 3 bikes so they aren't ridden as much as if I was solely riding one of them.  The chain should be replaced when it has stretched past a certain point - here's a simple, relatively cheap tool that you can buy that will tell you if it is time to replace the chain:  http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL605A00-Park+Cc-3+Chain+Checker.aspx

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Re: Another chain question
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:54:16 AM »
The chain should measure 12" from pin to pin. At 12 1/8" you need to thiunk about it, at 12 1/2 you need to replace it. As long as you keep the chain changed the cassette will hold up for a good while. I've got 4,400 miles on my Enduro and have only put two cassettes on it and changed the mddle and big rings once. Look for the shark fin look on the teeth of the rings and cassette to judge the wear. The casstte wears to the chain and if you don't change the chain when you should and put on a new one the chain will not seat properly and make a grinding noise and jump around on the ring. Park tools makes a neat little tool that measures the chain wear also.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Advertisement: